Author Topic: Updated Getting Started/Installation Web Page  (Read 3694 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Updated Getting Started/Installation Web Page
« on: November 25, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »
The "Installation/Getting Started" web page is being updated. We need to add a couple more items to it, but the new format is basically complete. We are now juggling 3 platforms, FSX, P3D V3 and P3D V4. The way the sim operates in P3D V4+ causes us to have to make changes to keep up with the new 64 bit technology. The updated page will be integrating those changes into our instructions for installing RTMM. (To see the updated page, go to the RTMM Home Page, look in the right-hand column for "Installation/Getting Started."

Our instructions for doing thing tend to "scatter" with time and new additions. I've attempted to consolidate most of what we have and some of the new thing (what we are learning with P3D V4) into the updated Getting Started/Installation page. We have also re-written information that is in the new Step Tables, making it easier to understand.

You will see we are using "Step Tables" ... for a beginner, these are the steps in order s/he should follow for an error free installation.  But this also becomes a handy guide for people when they need to know how to install something (like the Season Switcher).

There are two "indices" at the top of the updated page. The index to the left is in order of the Step Tables .. the order a new person should follow. The index to the right is alphabetical so you can find things easier.  Both sets of links go to the same Step Tables.

The click on buttons on the Scenery Page now point to the necessary information on the updated page. For instance, the colored leaf for the season switcher now points to Step Table #6 where the instructions for adding it are located. The "how to install" button now points to Step Table #4 for "How to Install and RTMM Location".  All of the Season Switcher locations now have the "leaf button" and all locations have the "how to install" button.

The alphabetical index is now also under "Getting Started" on the HOME PAGE. So if you need to get to that information, you can get there quickly from the home page.

We are going to be watching the forum carefully for questions from beginners. When we see one that repeats, and it is now reflected in the new Getting Started page, we'll adjust so the answer will be there.  This will be an on-going effort.  And if YOU see something that needs to be explained and perhaps added to the new page ... we're listening. You can add ideas you may have to THIS thread.

On Step Table #10, we are putting the new files we are making to keep our technology abreast of P3D V4+. Some of these have NO affect upon P3D or FSX.  But some of them can make them better.  You will see some files are in RED and others are in GREEN.  Green means you can do without it, but it would be an improvement. RED means ... download it it and fix it NOW.  The red ones are mostly for P3D V4. If the changes are not made, you can get a Crash to Desktop ... so if you have P3D V4, keep an eye on this table as we learn and fix things.

There are also some new files that will make things better for FSX and P3D V3 ... one is the new waterfall.fx.  Downloading this and adding it makes the waterfall object stop the excessive misting. A problem we have had from the beginning ... now Mike Broemme has fixed it for us and the new file is "up".  Notice it is "green" ... your system won't crash if you don't have it, but it will make your experience better.

We hope the updates we are doing will be helpful to everyone, both for veterans and beginners.

Doug

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 04:03:40 PM by Doug »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Updated Getting Started/Installation Web Page
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 03:46:16 PM »
Doug,
got one small item because I'm anal retentive I guess.  In your post you say:

To see the updated page, go to the RTMM Home Page, look in the right-hand column for "Getting Started/Installation."

After going cross eyed trying to find that link it dawned on my peapickin' head that on the Home Page the link reads:

Installation & Getting Started

I know its a small thing but took me two days to figure it out (too severe toilet training I guess)  ;)
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »
Right, Spud, I fixed it.  We want to think of this as the "Installation" page .. and we've got it in our heads it is the Getting Started. In the long run, this will be very important for veterans, so I'll be referring to it as the "Installation" page ... we all should.  I changed my post, you were right.

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 04:39:04 PM »
You are a gentleman and scholar!  8)
Later,

Spud