Author Topic: new user how do I get started!  (Read 6495 times)

Beaverpilot74

new user how do I get started!
« on: November 11, 2017, 03:12:23 AM »
P3D V4 I have ORBX Global, Vector, NA LC, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Fjords and South Alaska. I really want to get started flying these virtual routes inside RTMM but find the whole process of installing Tongass Fjords a bit daunting. I saw the tongass fjords instructions, I only have P3D V4 installed on F drive to keep all the stuff from completely freezing my C drive. I have familiarity with editing CFG in FSX and have dabbled in P3D. I had to edit a few BGL files to OFF to use FSbeam KSFO with ORBX South California so I imagine this is similar? I was able to port over the Flight Replicas Super cubs without fail but could not get the 185 to work or a few repaints fro the 208 HD as I have to use the EX for V4. I find the whole process a bit frustrating. Then I have to sort how to get started with flying routes on RTMM. I've glanced over the pages and I am a bit lost.
i7-7700K 4.2GHZ 10% overclocked 16GBGTX 1070 8GB

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: new user how do I get started!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »
Tongass is not hard to get in, or an other add-ons per say, but you have to know the install processes and where/how all the files will fit into P3D.

RTMM Tongass Guide:
http://return.mistymoorings.com/p3d_v4_faq/index.php#tong

Also also refer to "Poppet" (Elaine Dixon) Tongass post: Her comprehensive help file for the Tongass installation in P3D v3 & 4 (with or without FSX).  (Also note:  2nd page post about setting up a FSX Dummy install so you can install there then copy/paste to your add-ons for P3Dv4x where ever you want them.

Link: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/491556-installing-tongass-fjords-x-prepar3d-v3-v4

(You have to decide where your addons for P3D are going to be located and how your sim will see them but other than that, get familiar with installing stuff and being able to move things to P3Dv4 addons folder and how to reference those paths for P3D to see them.).

(Here is a link to all the P3Dv4x help files at AVSIM:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/657-prepar3d-tips-tricks-and-how-tos/?sortby=start_date&sortdirection=desc
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:51:33 PM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 04:11:26 PM »
Hi Beaverpilot74,
     Welcome to the forum.  It is important to follow the instructions carefully, but is not hard to do.  Once you are set up, that is all behind you.  Then you can go fly.
     Don't think about too much all at once.  Concentrate on the tasks at hand, and it will be set up before you know it.  Flightplans and routes and trips will come later.  Just get the libraries installed, your FTX Central insertion point set, and Tongass Fjords X installed according to Poppet's guide.  Next you can select any or all destinations in the scenery library.  It's a library, don't check them all out at once.  Get a couple of destinations and the flightplan for them, and go fly it.  Before you know it, you'll be a resident of Misty Fjords and checking cabins like an ol' Ranger.  Forest, that is.  ;)
     Take a deep breath and relax ... Ohmmmmmmm.   :)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Beaverpilot74

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »
I got everything transferred over to P3D and I noticed pakw was in a hole. I ran vector config and no good. reinstalled my elevation files and went back and it was right but after a minute I changed to outside view to pan around and p3d froze and crashed. Still investigating. I'm running a i7-7700k 4.2ghz with 16GB on a GTX 1070 8GB DDR5. I have maybe 60G of my 250GB C drive as I run all P3D off my F at 2TB so this can not be the issue. I run PMDG all day in ORBX with AS4 no issues. thoughts?

Beaverpilot74

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:34:39 PM »
restart. did not freeze at pakt. elevations and everything are ok. ORBX here. PAKW did not freeze this time. I think I am finally ok:) Now to get started! Thanks for the help everyone. The adventure begins:)

Beaverpilot74

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:43:46 PM »
So now the process of the libraries... I never had RTMM prior nor FTX ever on this PC. I have the first 2 libraries effects into the main p3d effects, easy enough and the files into FSaddon Misty Moorings folder  under my Tongass Fjords. I'm getting a scenery cfg error can not find area .206 local would you like to turn off this area? There is definitely a learning curve here. Hopefully library 3 will fix it.

Beaverpilot74

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 08:47:59 PM »
something is not happy. still freezing just after loading at PAKW and shortly after take off at PAKT. This is after the convoluted mess of trying to install the library files. I think I am done for the night. Been a long day messing with this.

Beaverpilot74

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 09:00:45 PM »
and tongass control panel will not work because it can not find the set up registry path for HKLM software Microsoft microsoft games flight simulator 10... I give up. Be great if someone would make the installer with the updated files for P3D V4.

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »
If you read the RTMM Tongass.. for P3Dv4 you have to replace a few of the Tongass AI models. See fix by Rod Jackson.. (This is what is causing your CTD in P3Dv4 with tongass installed).

Scenery area missing: 206.. Either turn it off/delete it in your sim scenery library, or in their choose edit of that item and see what it is referring to - then navigate to the proper path and select that proper path of that scenery entry..   - either way will fix up the missing scenery area error.

Norm

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 09:32:41 PM »
Beaverpilot74, I can address a couple of your issues.

To add to what Norm says, a scenery.cfg error like you describe is the result of physically deleting a scenery file from your HDD before deleting it from your scenery library. This is a well known issue. The easiest way is to restore the file that you deleted from your HDD to it's original location, reload your sim, go to the scenery library, delete it's entry and then delete it from your HDD again. An issue might be that you may have deleted a number of scenery files from your HDD and trying to determine which one to restore.

As for the freezing issue: we are finding out every day that there are numerous issues cropping up with P3D4 and some of the RTMM sceneries. The freezing, or CTD issues you are having MAY be the result of incompatibilities with the AI shipping and P3D4. Others are having this problem as well and fixes are being worked on the scenes. (Doug has a list of problems to be addressed as long as his arm.) Be patient, because crashing problem probably isn't because you've done anything  wrong.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Beaverpilot74

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 10:29:52 PM »
I think I am going to try to uninstall and delete the days work here best I can and hope for the best. Then I will wait until things get ironed out for us newbies. Appreciate the help this is just above my limited experience to sort and correct.

Beaverpilot74

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 11:14:19 PM »
now PAKW has elevation issues. I ran vector, still. moved pakw from active to inactive in vector for elevation and now get a scenery dat error when selecting it. says delete orbx ftx_vector\ftx_vector_apt_scenery\ap-pakw or something like that. ugh...

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:22:29 PM »
You can't have the sim open when you're doing scenery changes in vector, and/or you can't rename a scenery file while the sim is running or you will get that exact error described - and the sim tells you to delete a file because it can't find the scenery file that is in the scenery indexes.

Beaverpilot74

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 11:54:04 PM »
   I was exiting out between but maybe I missed once. At any rate, I just uninstalled the whole mess not hoping my BGL back up would fix it all and will reinstall everything. Some of the items to install Tongass were a bit confusing but I think I got that figured out. The library installs for RTMM were what really did not match up in regards to the prior files they were talking about which I did not know if I had in Tongass or not, they changed the files for FSX ect. I am not a programmer and do not yet fully understand how the sim works internally and how to manipulate these older files to work properly together with V4. I've spent all day working with it and I think at this point I am going to have to sit this one out a bit longer if or when someone can get a installer worked out to make the transition easier. I have heard it mentioned before that many would pay a fee to encourage this development work to bring Tongass and RTMM to V4 as for free it is a lot of work for anyone to take on unless really passionate about it. I think it is a great scenery and a great experience to fly RTMM and has a good following so I am sure the effort would be worth it. Thanks for the help and understanding.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 12:10:29 AM »
Hi Beaverpilot74,
     We have never said we might do an installer for RTMM.  It wouldn't work.  It won't be done.  All there is to RTMM is the library set and the scenery locations + shipping AI and repaints, etc.  (but is over 300 locations by now, I think  :-\ ).

If you've installed the Orbx software and TFX, then you can begin to install RTMM with the libraries first. 
     The libraries are updated periodically, and new sceneries are developed from time to time.  Tweaks have to be made on the fly, and we can't manage an installer program to do all that.  We're not programmers either.  We are flight simulator users from around the world, who got together to support RTMM.  (we were recruited).  ;)

It is my opinion that Uninstalling and Reinstalling your sim is almost ALWAYS a waste of time, and the wrong answer.  We can help you get through this, if given enough information to work with the problem.  We've seen a few over the past 61/2 years.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:20:25 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P