Author Topic: Cruises  (Read 16079 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Cruises
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 08:04:28 AM »
Our "Completed" cruises are posted on the Alpha Page (The Moorings) and you can download them from there. http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/moorings.

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »
Hey Guys,
Great Idea with the Ships section.
My favourite is flying but found out in the last few weeks, that a boat trip
is a welcome addition to my RTMM and PFJ experiences. Great ! 8)

Sorry, have to correct myself.....it´s great fun and pleasure exploring the misty`s on the waters!!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:20:57 PM by corbu1 »

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 02:46:00 AM »
Thanks Klaus,  I agree.  I am having so much fun exploring the fjords.  We all love to fly, that's why we are here, but the boats are an added bonus.  But only since the FTX Pacific Fjords scenery, and Misty Moorings came along.  Before this, boating in FSX was boring.  Not any more.  (as long as you stay in the FTX scenery area.)  For me, that goes from southern Oregon to the Tongass Fjords, up north of us here.  I'll be exploring for years.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 08:36:19 AM »
The PFJ scenery is the dif.  One of my favorite rivers is the Pantenal in Brazil ... yuk in FSX!  So I quit doing it. Then I started taxiing around in PFJ ... first it was Aiken Creek, landing on the creek and taxiing in ... hey, look at that! This is different!  When you lose that 3rd dimension, navigation becomes an entirely different kind of task. (When you see the end of Aiken Creek coming, you don't know it turns to the left into a beautiful lake until you are almost on the turn). The horizon flattens and you can't see the inlets, so there are surprises. Also, we "know" the area so well form the air ... you could put me over almost any part of it and in about 5 minutes, I could fly "home" to Misty's.  But put me down on the water somewhere?  Lost!! 

I cannot get over how the scenery is not only so good "up close" but how absolutely random it is. EVERY shoreline is different.  Last night I went up the Harding River... it's kind of messy with some water anomalies and a lake that is 4 feet above the river ... but winding up there for about 30 miles and never seeing the same thing and not knowing if it goes left or right until you are on the turn ... it isn't easy to stay out of the woods!  What's fun is to get to the USFS Harding River Cabin by boat or plane, then switch and go up the river in the Malibu.

From what I'm seeing, I'm predicting we're going to see great boats like we now see great planes. Right now there is only ONE manufacturer out there (DeltaSim). And 95% of the FSX'ers haven't discovered PFJ yet. Then there's Hama's Riva and the Sirroco and some blue water tankers.  So there isn't much to work with ... but before PFJ there has never been a reason. When people discover what it's like being down on the water in PFJ, then I'm betting those activities will increase, and I'm putting "money" on that bet with the development of The Moorings.

Last night I created a cruise from The Ketchikan Int'l seaplane base to the Harding River Cabin. All the way points are named after real features, all of the key features along the way are in FSDiscover!. I used the Plan G flight plan and when I hit a way point, I changed course to the next one ... no autopilot. The course misses all the little islands and takes you right to the cabin.  Out on the blue water, I kick the sim rate to  X 2 then back to normal at the way points to make the turns.

It's not for everybody, the jet guys would think this would rival watching paint dry ... but I've spent a lot of time on the water and getting on a new lake was always a thrill ... here I've got a "new lake" every day!

Attached is a screenshot of the bridge of the Gemini 94.  You've got 2 gps, one you can track course, the other holds the flight plan data. Right there in front of you is the course.  This is the "best laid out" bridge I've seen yet. This bridge layout makes "charting" a piece of cake ... (if we get the charts right!).

D

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:49:17 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:24:59 AM »
Harding River Cabin is "up" on the "alpha" page. This is a mostly open water cruise with some beautiful scenery toward the end as you get into the Bradford Channel.

D

Doug

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »
Just put up the Bella Coola to Ocean Falls (BC) cruise.  If there's ever a cruise that will convince a doubter that they should really try this, this is the one!  I've never seen such spectacular scenery on a a computer. All you do is spin around in the outside spot view till you are DIZZY looking at the beautiful sights.  I must have taken 30 screenshots.  I added several of them to the trip tic.

The cruise can either start off at a "river anchorage" beside the airport or it can be started from a pier in the Bella Coola Marina ... both starting points with headings are in the Trip Tic.  The river is tricky, and there's a few "rapids" :-\ But you can get through them OK.  Once out in the open water, you can turn on the autopilot.

This is a beautiful cruise ... I left in the afternoon and arrived at Ocean Falls at dusk.  Holger really paid attention to the details ... coming out of Ocean Falls are a lot of power lines ... if you study up on the place, it is one of the key electricity generating stations for the area ... and the "falls" is really there.

It's posted on The Moorings ...

D

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 01:17:05 AM »
Great fun here Doug!   The new water in FSX really makes the difference too, over FS9.  When ORBX PNW came out I flew into a little strip in Central Oregon by a river.  Not sure the name right now.  I had seen a little farm strip just upriver on the fly by, so after landing I changed to a Jeep to drive over to the rivers edge.  Then changed into the Delta Sim motor boat and followed the river upstream to the farm strip.  Hitting the turns and dodging the rocks brought back the white knuckle thrill of bush flying...but with a very different view.  I was hooked and do this all the time.   It's great you see potential in the and the alpha page Moorings is a super start.   Lakes are also fun to take a boat around and some of the FS Cabins on lakes in the PFJ area are perfect for this.  Now if I could only find a canoe to paddle and get in some fishing!    ;D
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 02:32:55 AM »
Speaking of fishing, I have this mission, that I wish we could adapt elements from to use at Misty's.  It is a Grumman Goose fishing edition.  You fly to Lake Mcdonald in Glacier Park, Land on the water, and begin "fishing".  The lake has fishing "hotspots", and there are sound effects, etc.  Once your live well is filled, you take off, and fly to a nearby airport that has a "fish truck" that collects your catch.  It is a fun mission, but only in the one lake.  I don't know about mission building, but maybe someone, (or the author of this mission) could adapt this for us.  I have the original zip I got from flightsim.com, I think.  It's freeware.  The zip is 3.59 MB, so I can't attach it.  Oh, I bet I could email it.  If you want it, let me know.  I'll send it to you.  Or you could get it yourself.  It's "glacpark.zip".

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 06:56:57 AM »
The three missions we have "up" were made by Brad.  Maybe there is someone else on site that knows how to work with these things ... that would be a lot of fun.

D

Doug

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2011, 08:50:24 AM »
Hydaburg to Forrester Island Research Outpost

Here's a new one for you.  This one starts in Hydaburg, an area we haven't spend ENOUGH time in. Getting to the open water to go to Forrester Island is NOT easy. After sailing this one, you really wonder what it must be like for the local fishermen in this area, negotiating the maze of islands on the way to the fishing grounds. Not only is it a maze of islands you have to navigate around, but between those are those dangerous "rocks" ... you only see them when they are dead ahead, little islands, but flat.  The cruise route will keep you busy and once you get to the Pacific, then you set your course, and sit back and relax on a blue water cruise to the Research Outpost.

For the FSDiscover! fans ...I didn't have to add ONE data point to this area. It is completely filled in, every one of those islands and narrows are named properly.  All way points are named after the actual features you are encountering. 

It's in The Moorings http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/moorings/ under Hydaburg.

Doug

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »
The Griffin Passage

Here's a beautiful cruise from Bella Bella, BC to Klemtu (another beautiful little town you probably haven't seen yet!). The cruise takes you through the Griffin Passage. Sometimes like a nice lake, other times like a narrow river.  This one is not only beautiful, but fun.  It is "up" on The Moorings.

You can find the mooring location for Klemtu on The Moorings Page under Navigation, (Interesting Mooring Points), if you "spawn" there, be sure to enter the heading and you will be at the dock as in the picture.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:55:49 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »
Coming Home ...

Long day, 2 cruises completed, one scenery, all posted. Nice little cruise posted for Hydaburg to the new Portage Bay Cabin ... simple little trip. So after working on that, I returned from Portage Bay Cabin and docked in Hydaburg just as the sun was going down, good timing.  Time for a halibut steak and a tall glass of beer.  Goodnight!

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:40:29 PM by Doug »

Dragnhorn

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »
Awesome Doug!  I have the Malibu now.  (as soon as I d/l it and set it up) and FSDiscover is installed. 
  Now to import the MM dat files and set up FSDiscover... yea!
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:59:32 AM by Dragnhorn »
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Doug

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2011, 07:28:17 AM »
Let me know if you get stuck on FSDiscover.  But most of "how to" is in the thread below.

D

Dragnhorn

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2011, 10:36:05 AM »
Thanks Doug.  Got it figured out.   Tried out the Bella Bella to Klemtu sail with the Malibu.  Autopilot and gauges look good.  Now if I could only figure out how to use the autopilot!   I couldn't get the boat to follow anything.   You turn on the autopilot and click the switch to gsp, right?  I did load the flt pln (sail plan) first.  Tried turning on the Heading switch as well but it had no effect.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: