Author Topic: P3Dv4 + Ultra Wide Screen Monitor  (Read 10398 times)

Rangerick

P3Dv4 + Ultra Wide Screen Monitor
« on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
With the winter 'Flying Season coming on fast; it's about time for me to clean up my 'puter system and move up to P3d V4.  Figure I should get rid of my 'Old' 3 monitor, TripleHeadToGo set-up too.   I'm looking at up-grading to one of those new Ultra Wide curved monitors, but I'm wondering how P3D will look when scaled to 21:9 at either 2560x1080 or 3440x1440.  If anyone has a set-up like that I'd appreciate hearing what they think about it.  I'm considering getting the "Acer X34 Predator" monitor and running it off my GTX970 GPU.

Thanks in Advance !

Rick
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:33:28 AM by Rangerick »

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
Re: P3Dv4 + Ultra Wide Screen Monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »
Well Ranger... I don't run wide ultra.. but I do run 6 Monitors with 2 GPU. This might be a help or not but it is my own learning experience over the years that brought me out of a single monitor PC up to a six monitor PC and when I run the sim, all them are full. 

I run the sim across three 1080P primary monitors on the desk, then use 3 upper (secondary) monitors for everything else. (Theses 3 upper monitors are sitting on a small hidden shelf)

I don't run triple head or NVidia "Surround" at all. For me, that kind of defeats the purpose of having 3 individual monitors for the sim. All my monitors are setup or left as individual monitors. (Easier)

When the sim is run, I run across the bottom three primary monitors and have set them up in the sim with three different VC views.

So my views in the sim on the primary monitors are : VC Left side of aircraft, VC-Center and Right side of aircraft. (I have to adjust once - for the view to account for bevel of the monitor frame itself and 1/2 of spacing between the monitors). Once adjusted, I save the plane!. And the views of that plane are set up.

Even though I am only running a GTX 970 to drive the three primary sim monitors as individual monitors, still get close to 30 frames or more in the areas we usually fly and have capped frame rate at 41. It's not the actual frames that is important in P3Dv4, it's the smoothness of the sim: I need my sim to run smooth as silk and for my limited GPU i do bring it down a notch because I'm forcing that 970 (and 3.9 ghz CPU), to provide 3 smooth smooth outputs of the sim across 3 monitors.   

P3Dv4 gives you much more smoothness and quality for the resources used as running in 64bit- faster throughput and much better memory usage than in a 32 bit sim.

Below is an old pic of my setup (without the yoke, throttle and rudder pedals strapped to my desk!) and view-ability almost 180 degrees looking forward and with the side monitors covering both side of the aircraft view. For me it works great and have much better view-ability than running the three monitors as One big surround monitor.  I run in 1080p. You should get a much better display with the ultra's if you go that way..

Hope this of some insight or assistance even though my current set up is not what you want to do.

Norm
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:39:55 AM by nbrich1 »
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »
Hey Norm,
     It looks like one of my monitors could just about cover all of your monitors.  ;D
 I use Nvidia Surround for my three monitors, and trackIR or VR HMD to look around.   ;)

Rick,
     You could/should search on Google for the monitors you are interested in.  See someone else gaming on one, and how it looks to you.  Look for reviews to find out what other people think of those monitors for gaming or simming, etc.   ;) 

Acer-Predator-UltraWide-Widescreen-X34  8)  $999.99   :o
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-UltraWide-Widescreen-X34/dp/B016GNX4SE?th=1
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:42:36 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »
Hey Rick,

My two cents......With Lockheed recommending 8GB + graphics mem for P3Dv4, you might want to consider upgrading the graphics board to GTX1080.  I also am running a TripleHead2Go with a rez of 5040 X 1050 using a GTX980 driving 3 22" Viewsonic screens.  My  plan is to go to a GTX1080 or better in the near future with at least 8GB or more of memory to be able to drive fast frame rates with the increased resolution and display demands of v4.

I like having the flexibility of 3 screens that can all be doing different things when I am not running the sim.  No plans to drop multiple screens for me.

Rod   

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:16:31 AM »
YEP  multi screen are more productive than one and easy to work !

Patrick
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

nbrich1

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Misty Flying Club VA, Sim Troubleshooting & Help
    • Misty Flying Club (MFC)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:39:06 AM »
Hey Norm,
     It looks like one of my monitors could just about cover all of your monitors.  ;D
 I use Nvidia Surround for my three monitors, and trackIR or VR HMD to look around.   ;)

Rick,
     You could/should search on Google for the monitors you are interested in.  See someone else gaming on one, and how it looks to you.  Look for reviews to find out what other people think of those monitors for gaming or simming, etc.   ;) 

Acer-Predator-UltraWide-Widescreen-X34  8)  $999.99   :o
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-UltraWide-Widescreen-X34/dp/B016GNX4SE?th=1

lol.. Understand Jeff.. I don't have trackIR maybe why I don't run in surround. I can see more using the indivual monitors rather than in surround... Right-on. Hmmm... Christmas is coming.. Track IR.. Hmmm..
Regards from Toronto, Canada. Home Airport CYYZ.
^----------------- Misty Flying Club -----------------^

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:17:26 AM »
Right-on. Hmmm... Christmas is coming.. Track IR.. Hmmm..
What? ???  You don't give yourself gifts at Halloween?  :o  TrackIR or Treat!   ;D

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Rangerick

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 09:59:33 AM »
After searching on-line and finding a variety of conflicting views on P3D with an Ultra wide + GTX 970; I thought I'd come 'Home' for some trusted opinions.

So, many thanks for all your replies !!

I do like my 3-monitor + TripleHeadToGo set-up, but it's 'Old' and 'Slow like me  ;)

Before I run out and spend $1000+ on a wide-screen, I think I'll do a clean OS install on my 'puter, load  V4.1 and see how it looks first. 

Then decide on upgrading to 3 'New' higher res. monitors vs 1 widescreen, which might be a better choice, despite what my son thinks. ;)

rcahill

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
I'm on P3D 4.1 and using a single 21:9 monitor.  It's the Dell U3415W.  I prefer the single monitor as I don't really like having the monitor edges between my views.  I find that this monitor gives me decent peripheral vision.

The only thing I don't like about the the curvature is that the image can distort/stretch a bit on the far edges.  The monitor itself is very high quality and has a very good image, not quite 4K but almost.

Robert
Robert J. Cahill - FAA Commercial, ASEL, Instrument

Rangerick

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 12:00:32 PM »
Would love to see what P3D it looks like on one of those.  Can you post a picture ?