Author Topic: Scenery Objects Library thoughts and practices  (Read 3222 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Scenery Objects Library thoughts and practices
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
Having mucked about with FS9 scenery I had collected more than a 'few' scenery objects.  These scenery objects work without any problem in FSX as we see with the EZ_1 library you need for RTMM.  After a long learning curve and dabbling with Instant Scenery it became clear to me that EZ, Rwy12, Abacus, Sidney Schwartz John Loney and many others had created just about everything you need for scenery.  Of course if you want an exact item you may have to create the model etc.  This I have never learned to do (just lazy and a bit thick) but I did understand that while each developer has his or her own scenery object library it is not necessary to have multiple libraries on your installation of FSX.  This can lead to duplicate scenery objects scattered in several places on your HD.  I made just one Library which I called EZ Object Library.  This was chosen because it happened to be the first library I had installed in my FS9 program, not for any ulterior motive.  It had the usual scenery and texture sub folders and over time acquired a couple more sub folders named model and new-mdl as I added other libraries to my 'master' library.  I did this by simply copying the files from scenery and texture folders of other libraries to the same named folders of the EZ Object library.  Windows dutifully will tell you if a file with the same name already exist in the target folder.  If the one I'm copying is dated more recently I'll replace the older one.  If the library I'm copying from has additional sub folders, IE: model etc. I copy that entire sub folder to the EZ Object Library root folder making a new sub directory in the Master Library.  Sounds more complicated than it actually is.
That being said I checked my master library today and I have 6495 files in the thing and it is 911MB in size.  I rarely have to worry about having scenery objects or having to download more when I install addon scenery.
Today, using a Scruffyduck Software program for locating duplicate scenery objects I was very pleased to see that I had exactly one duplicate file in my scenery.cfg/FSX installation.  It has a duplicate name but a completely different GUID number so it is probably not the same file.
Although I combine scenery library files to prevent duplicates I still like to keep my scenery in separate folders for trouble shooting purposes.
This is just information for thought and I am not recommending any one do this unless they are comfortable with file manipulation and want to prevent duplicate scenery objects on their FSX install.
 8)
Later,

Spud