Author Topic: Video Recording  (Read 5669 times)

archangel1

Video Recording
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:18:34 AM »
I have a question concerning the various videos posted here and elsewhere.  From what I understand, a program like Fraps records only what is visible on screen.  What about something like FSRecorder? Is that gathering data on everything in the world you're flying in, allowing you to edit sequences into your movie from different views for example? I always found it quite fascinating that the recorder in games like IL-2 Sturmovik allowed you to view in playback almost anything that was happening in the vicinity, even if it was miles away from where your aircraft was at the time.
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Video Recording
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 06:43:59 AM »
Hi ...

You use FSRecorder ... it records not "visuals" but "data" from FSX.  When you play back what you recorded, you can change views, angles, anything you like ... just like the instant replay, you can look at those last 60 seconds any way you like.  But FSRecorder goes on as long as you like.

Then comes FRAPs ... you play back what you recorded on FSRecorder with FRAPs turned on. Now, as you change your views, etc, FRAPs records what it is seeing on the screen.   Then there's another step. WIN-7 Movie Maker ... a freebie.  You then grab the FRAPs recording and put it into Movie-Maker. Here you can edit, cut, paste, add titles, etc.

So there are sort of 3 steps.  Hope this helps.

D

archangel1

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:42:37 AM »
FSRecorder, if I'm reading the specs right, only works within FS9/FSX and does not allow any exporting of data.  So, if I wanted to share a video, I'd have to use something like the Fraps-Movie Maker combo? There isn't an 'all singing, all dancing' recording system that lets you simply record a flight and worry about camera angles and such afterwards? You have to consciously 'edit' your flight as it's in progress, other than making minor adjustments when you're done?

Doug

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »
Not that I know of ... I just "learned how" to do this in the last couple of weeks, so not an expert at all. But it takes the 3 pieces to make it work from what I can see.  FSRobert shared a lot of this with me to get me started.

archangel1

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:07:38 PM »
So, it sounds like first you record your flight using FSRecorder.  You then replay it in FSX, changing your camera positions as desired while using FRAPS to capture the part(s) you want to preserve.  Finally, you use MovieMaker to make a final edit by cutting/combining the bits you need and adding any special effects, titles, etc.  Is that correct? Sounds like an awkward way to make a movie but I guess if it works, that's the main thing.

Doug

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
Almost.  While you are doing the playback, FRAPs is running all the time, so if you make mistakes in your views, etc, its all captured. Mistakes and all.  Then you go to Movie Maker and put the FRAPs movie into it. There you can take out the bad views and moves you made and add titles and captions.  FRAPs gives you the raw screens.  Win-7 Movie Maker takes it home.

archangel1

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »
Thanks, Doug.  I understood that but didn't express it very well.  I guess recording and editing sound is a whole other can o' worms that I won't open until I'm actually up and running!

Cheers,
Mike

misty093

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
There is an alpha version of fsrecorder wich has a rendering function. It means fsrecorder will produce a video file.
Pluses: - no need to use "frame killer" fraps
            - the rendering will record at the target frame rate: if you lock at 30 your video will run at 30, smooth like oil, doesn't matter how dense or heavy is your scenery. It means you can have videos with all fsx setting maxed.

Minus: it doesn't record sounds, but you can add them if you edit the video.

Doug

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »
Now that's something I've got to try!!!  Thank you!  To me the video part of this is really amazing. I'd never done it before, so barely up on the learning curve.  Thanks for the information.

Doug

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 03:11:33 AM »
There is an alternative thought of course...

Just put your FSRecorder files up for people to download - then viewers can replay "interactively". Of course, they need the aircraft and the livery that you had, but it is an alternative and the file size is dramatically smaller.

Not only that - "viewers" could even join in your flight in a chase plane...
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 05:13:29 AM »
There is an alpha version of fsrecorder wich has a rendering function. It means fsrecorder will produce a video file.
Pluses: - no need to use "frame killer" fraps
            - the rendering will record at the target frame rate: if you lock at 30 your video will run at 30, smooth like oil, doesn't matter how dense or heavy is your scenery. It means you can have videos with all fsx setting maxed.

Minus: it doesn't record sounds, but you can add them if you edit the video.

Thanks so much for this tip...I will check into the alpha version of fsrecorder  for my next misty video. " Smooth Like Oil " I like.   :)
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

misty093

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 04:56:56 AM »
a little sample that I made yesterday: