Author Topic: Info on ORBX/AeroFly simulator scenery  (Read 4531 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Info on ORBX/AeroFly simulator scenery
« on: April 29, 2017, 01:51:52 PM »
Just read this post on another simsite concerning the new intertwining of ORBX and AeroFly's new simulator.  I predict a slow demise of FSX scenery by ORBX if users jump on this new sim and don't mind opening their wallets yet again.

STEAM game $49, store.steampowered.com/app/434030/Aerofly_http://bushpounders.proboards.com/#category-2FS_2_Flight_Simulator/
Then pay for the OrbX stuff at 40% off, $24 a pop. Whereas the upcoming P3D 4; is supposed to be 64 bit, and JV has said there will be no charge for OrbX stuff already owned for it.

:(
Later,

Spud

Teecee

Re: Info on ORBX/AeroFly simulator scenery
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
Too much invested in Prepar3d to even consider this, besides, I am more than happy with the Prepar3d/Orbx world. Teecee

Penzoil3

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 05:36:11 AM »
 8)
 Wow, somebody is listening. Better watch myself...
LOL
 Sue

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »
8)
 Wow, somebody is listening. Better watch myself...
LOL
 Sue

Careful Sue, don't want to get a rep as a narcissist  ;D
(yup it was her post)
 8)
Later,

Spud

BBQSteve

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 12:16:05 PM »
From what I have read from John Venema, AFS2 is a more VFR sim with few world scenery. Anyone know differently?

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 12:31:39 PM »
BBQSteve, you are basically correct at least for now.  I don't think the demise of P3D scenery from ORBX is on the horizon at this point.

The Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator (due to its origins) is currently a visually focused simulator.   It uses photoreal terrain which means very large files but is quite beautiful from a few thousand feet.  It is STEAM based and recently ORBX announced a partnership with IPACS (the developer of the Aerofly FS 2 Flight Simulator) to provide enhanced scenery.  FS 2 supports 3D models but, as always, the 3D objects have to be developed manually as  there is no magical way of instantly populating the word with photorealistic 3D objects.  So, initially, except for a few selected cities/airports and one state, the FS 2 world is pretty flat in relation to the 3D populated areas we fly in.  FS 2 does use high resolution mesh so the topography is quite good.  FS 2 also features excellent integral support for VR headsets.  With the rising popularity of VR, the visual experience of FS 2 is really exciting the rapidly increasing number of VR headset users.   New York City is one of their 3D cities and it looks great and frame rate is smooth as glass.

I imagine ORBX will initially focus on airport addons bringing their enormous 3D object library and vegetation replication expertise to this visual sim engine.   John Venema has said this sim is more about the visual experience (though it does have some basic navigation capabilities) and ORBX remains committed to Prepar3D as its primary target flightsim.  ORBX does envision doing scenery regions for FS 2 but not till sometime in 2018 and beyond due to the new technologies and techniques required to interface with FS 2, a totally different engine than the FSX world.

One might ask, where did IPACS come from?   For many years IKARUS has been a successful RC Airplane company in Germany.  IKARUS' founder was a world champion in RC Aircraft competitions.    Somewhere around 1998 IKARUS worked with a another German company called IPACS to create an RC flying simulator for the computer that interfaced with actual RC controllers for training RC flyers. In 2011, Aerofly Flight Simulator was the next evolution from a very successful RC Flying simulation.  It is interesting looking at a sim that evolved from RC flying.   As a result of this evolution, it does not yet feature many of the realities of piloting an aircraft like ATC, integrated avionics, real time weather, AI etc. but it does have all of the visual capability that you would expect in a high end simulator.  It is stunning in its hi res fluidity.

Because FS 2 features photoreal terrain and is auto updated by STEAM, there are a few problems if you don't have high speed, unlimited data networking.  Users have experienced updates that could take multiple days to download in a lower speed network environment while disabling your ability to use FS 2 at the same time.  A new download of the whole state of Utah has just been made available for free and it is about a 20G download.   

So, other than actually flying the plane and looking out the window, Aerofly FS 2 is not yet a competitor to FSX, P3D, X-Plane etc. when it comes to all the things a human pilot does and the facilities a pilot might interact with.  But, in terms of a visual flying experience, it now seems to be the simulation engine of choice especially for VR headset users who may never have been flight simulator enthusiasts and just want to fly around in an incredibly immersive 3D world.  It will be interesting to watch whether this simulator is able to incorporate all of the other components of a fully featured flight simulator and still maintain its speed and fluidity.

Here is a link if anybody wants to take a look for themselves:
https://www.aerofly.com/aerofly_fs_2/index.html

Rod
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 12:34:25 PM by stiletto2 »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
2018 or beyond sound about right to start thinking about this one to me.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 03:49:57 PM »
I'll stay on the sidelines for this one. I've also invested a lot of time and money into FSX/P3D and I'm happy with that platform for the foreseeable future.

Brad

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »
Screenshots like beautiful, but it was only 5 months I changed from FSX to P3dv3. So I won't change to a completly new sim in the forseeable future.

I'm waiting for P3d v4.... 

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals