Author Topic: Runway direction?  (Read 3149 times)

Akmatov

Runway direction?
« on: April 24, 2017, 04:40:15 AM »
Really basic, but I don't have a clue. In RL, and I'd like to somewhat resemble that in my flying, how do you know which end of a runway should be used for takeoff and for landing? Guessing at a controlled AP the tower will tell you?
The squeaky wheel will never get oiled unless you ask, but you don't need to be an axle about it.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Runway direction?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »
     Take off into the wind.  Choose the runway which points you most directly into the wind if possible.  If no wind, or light wind, pick the one everyone else is using.  There is an indicator on the flight maps usually, that tells you the airports flight direction. 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:59:51 AM »
...and most of our airports have a windsock.

Doug

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:07:44 AM »
I am thinking most of our windsocks don't work anymore since P3D removed FS9 compatibility.

Rod

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 08:10:20 AM »
But remember when I put about 100 of them in a couple years ago? The table on top of the FAQ page lists many of them. We also added fuel and NDBs.

D

Akmatov

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Many thx guys. Understand about taking off into the wind, ofc. Just wondered if the was some FAA regulation or if I should be looking at individual AP info.
The squeaky wheel will never get oiled unless you ask, but you don't need to be an axle about it.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 12:59:04 PM »
At uncontrolled airports the T.O. runway is at the pilots dicression if no other traffic is flying.  If other traffic you use the active R/W other traffic is using.
If there is an FBO at the airport some have radion contact and will advise incoming traffic of the normally used runway if no traffic, other wise transmissions by traffic can be used to determine the correct R/W to set up for.  Mostly just common sense to use the R/W with the best wind directions unless other factors are in play.
 8)
Later,

Spud