Author Topic: Scenery.CFG file error  (Read 7867 times)

jstanbro

Scenery.CFG file error
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:28:45 AM »
Hello!

My problem seems to be similar to the thread "Scenery Library Error" started by BamaKevin in this forum, but I didn't find any solution there.  I am running FSX Steam Edition in Windows 10.  I have not deleted any scenery files from FSX that I know of, but I have been installing them.  Here's what happened:  Yesterday, I installed 3 RTMM sceneries - Totem Bight Ops Center, PAKT Ferry (I have the ORBX PAKT installed), and Lucky Lindy's Place.  I keep my RTMM sceneries in AddonScenery/RTMM, and I added them to the scenery library just like always.  On starting FSX (through the Steam interface) I get the following (long) series of error dialogs:

Scenery.CFG file error: Local scenery directory (...
1. Addon Scenery/SCENERY) in scenery Area.128 not found
2. Addon Scenery\scenery\AhZx_LIB SUB Library FSXP3D\SCENERY) in scenery Area.146 not found
3. Addon Scenery\scenery\CeyX_Sceneries_Libraies FSXP3D\S in scenery Area.147 not found
4. Addon Scenery\scenery\EZ Scenery Library FSXP3D\SCENERY) in scenery Area.148 not found
5. Addon Scebert\scenery\RWY12 LobraryFSXP3D\SCENERY) in scenery Area.149 not found
6. Addon Scenery\Scenery\RTMM Object LibraryFSXP3D\SCENERY) in scenery Area 150 not found
7. Addon Scenery\scenery\RTMMTwo Object LibraryFSXP3D\Scenery) in scenery Area.151
8. Addon Scenery\scenery\RTMM Medical Library TEMP\SCENERY) in scenery Area 152
9. Addon Scenery\scenery\FSXP3D WH_BWEP Objects_SW\SCENERY) in scenery Area.153
10. Addon Scenery\scenery\RTMM APP Library TEMP\SCENERY) in scenery Area.154
…not found. Click OK to continue.

(The RTMM libraries are installed at the top of the scenery library list and checked.)

Once I click through all 10 of the error messages(!!) FSX starts and seems to run normally.  Last night I flew from Yes Bay Lodge to Totem Bight Ops Center (which seems to display just fine) with no problems.
"The hardest thing about flying is the ground." - Charles Kingford-Smith

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Scenery.CFG file error
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »
This error is always the result of deleting or moving an installed scenery folder BEFORE removing it from your FSX scenery library. ALWAYS untick or remove scenery from your scenery library before physically deleting or moving it around on your HDD.

Get this utility and it will show you any scenery file errors and allow you to correct them without even having FSX running.

http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/

Download link
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jstanbro

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 01:09:48 PM »
I've downloaded, installed, and run the Scenery Config Editor (thanks for the link and prompt response by the way!), and it shows errors in all 9 RTMM library files and the Scenery Checker (which are the first 10 entries in my scenery library), but I can't figure out what to do to fix the problem.  I see a "Restore deleted areas from backup" menu selection, but it is grayed out and I can't select it.  There isn't any documentation in the "Help" menu of the Scenery Config Editor.  What do I do?
Thanks,
Jerry

jstanbro

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:11:35 PM »
I've found the Scenery Config Editor web site and the user docs - looking now...
Jerry

jstanbro

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 02:18:51 PM »
Thanks Ualani!  I worked through enough of the online documentation for the Scenery Config Editor to find the "Error" column in the List view - which didn't show in the original view, which said "path not found" for all of the RTMM library files, so I went looking for them. Evidently - somehow - I had moved them into the Addon Scenery/texture folder while installing scenery. I certainly didn't mean to do that.  I've moved everything back where it belongs and no more error dialogs. It's strange that everything seemed to display normally when I flew yesterday.  Oh, well.

Thanks again!
Jerry

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 02:56:49 PM »
Everything might have seemed to work normally if you ignore the error messages, but you wouldn't have seen anything in the scenery areas that showed errors.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »
I've always found it prudent to not be too hasty in clearing the recycle bin when installing/uninstalling scenery, too. If you make the mistake of deleting from the HD first you can always put them back and delete in the proper order. 

jsapair
Jsapair

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 06:44:55 AM »
Actually, if you delete in the wrong order it's easy to fix without even having to restore anything. You can just delete the corrupt file pointers using the Cfg. Editor in literally 5 seconds, life will be good and then you can be on your merry way again. Ask me how I know. I should do a tutorial on this sometime because this situation and question comes up all the time.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BBQSteve

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 09:02:12 AM »
One of the great things about the Configuration Manager program is that you can delete your config file, point the program to the directory the scenery files are in and it will build the config file for you. Now the down side is you may have to move scenery location around, especially if you have ORBX scenery.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 04:34:19 PM »
Not sure why anyone would want or need to do this. Why delete a perfectly good .cfg, build another one and then go through the torture of reindexing everything ORBX?
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BBQSteve

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 10:14:41 AM »
Hopefully you won't have to find out why either.

PeterW

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 02:29:58 PM »
I eventually found the problem thanks to all the help.  Sorry I took awhile to post again. 
Peter