Author Topic: Doug's Hawaii  (Read 78922 times)

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
Re: Doug's Hawaii
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 10:32:08 PM »
http://www.flightsimstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=2648

8)

This is the mesh designed to go with your OrbX products. This mesh is the one used by the OrbX team, when they design scenery.It will greatly enhance the look of your sim, and it's on sale for half price.
 Sue

I agree whole-heartedly. Brings the sim up to a whole new level. And the price is definitely right. I paid $95 US almost exactly 2 yrs ago.

jsapair
Jsapair

Rangerick

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:47 PM »
Dieter's post pretty much says it all !   

Only thing I can say is that I don't have either Global or Vector installed in P3Dv 3.4 and it's still a GREAT add-on package.

Mr. Keogh's airports and Doug's scenery are all wonderful compliments to Javier Trinidad's Hawaiian Photoreal (Plus) packages. 

I think I almost got hit by what I think was a "breaching whale" while taxiing out from Doug's PHNL SPB in my Beaver X.  LOL

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 03:20:45 PM »
Darned right!  That's my pet whale! Don't run over him!  :-)

I just got the PILOT's Global Mesh in today and have been flying over there ... looks like it didn't screw anything up.  Putting in Kawaii right now from "lockonfiles.com" ... we'll see how that looks. If it looks good, I'll put a facility at Nawiliwili near the airport.

Doug

Penzoil3

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 07:44:42 PM »
 8)
 Should I be able to find PHNL SPB in FSX airports listings ? I have the scenery (Doug's Hawaii) activated in the scenery library.
 Thanks
 Sue

Doug

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »
Nope, didn't make it a real airport. But you can put the waypoints into the gps and fly to them. The way points are on the page. This way I don't interfere with other people's scenery packages. There are a lot of them for Hawaii. :-)

Doug

Penzoil3

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 08:30:25 PM »
 8)
 I'm confused. All I find is  a list of waypoints.  There's no download, just coordinates on the individual scenery listings. Is that it ?
 Sue

Doug

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 08:34:24 PM »
Yep. Pick a location. Put its way point into the gps and fly "toward" it, you will have to dodge mountains and islands. Be sure to use a float, there are no land runways (all have helipads). Or you can reach all of them also by boat/ship. This is dif than Misty. :-)

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 08:56:43 PM »
Hi Doug,
     Clicking on the Pako'o Harbor map button brings up the map for PHNL SPB.  That map, by the way, is pretty much useless.  A top-down view of the entire island chain with a plane icon in the center island group.  So apparently, PHNL SPB is somewhere in central Hawaii, according to that map.  I know, you give exact coordinates.  That's great, but the map view is from a very high altitude.  Is this intentional?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:59:06 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I'll get the correct map in there. Yes on intentionality. The user only sort of needs to know "which island" letting the way point take them to the actual destination. I may work on a single and bigger map that has all locations. Still playing with it, but I'll get the right map in there, that is an error.

I put in Kawaii from Lockonfiles.com last night. It is very well done. Costs you a $6 donation. The port of Nawiliwili is already there, so I don't have to make a location for Kawaii. But it will need a waypoint and map. The FTX airport for Lihue must be turned off, it makes an elevation problem near the lighthouse (PHLI). I may put in a dock at Nawiliwili as it is mostly photoreal, and it needs a helipad. Also the Marriot in that nearby bay should be there.

Most of our folks won't do it, but SAILING Hawaii is a lot of fun for me. Slow as watching paint dry, but authentic for anyone who has taken the Spirit of America (Norwegian Cruise Lines) trip. I've done it 3 times. Just set a course, kick back with some nice music and a good book and enjoy the cruise.

I'm also, intentionally, staying away from the interior of the islands. There are some excellent scenery locations available from multiple sources for Hawaii and I don't want to conflict with any of those. So all my locations are on the edges of the islands. All accessible only by float, helicopter or ship. I'm trying to stay in that marketing niche where nobody else is playing.

I really didn't intend for this to be anything major. I was just doing it for myself because I love the area. And when Javier's PhotoReal Hawaii came out, well, I had to grab it and start having fun. I'm surprised folks are actually using it. So we'll play with it. One fellow has asked if I'd put in the Magnum PI location, (Robin's Nest?). He has given me pics of it and location info. It is on the coast, good for heli, float and ship, so a good match. It would be fun to try.

So Mahalo for your thoughts and Aloha.

Doug
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:12:03 AM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 10:35:51 AM »
Well, problems.  The new PILOT's mesh really messes up many of the locations. I like the mesh, so I'm sticking with it, but will have to alter many locations to make them work.  So if you DO NOT have PILOT's mesh, just download the original "Doug's Hawaii" and it will work with Hawaii PhotoReal Hawaii very well.  I'm now starting work on a "Doug's Hawaii for PILOTs" that will be compatible with the new mesh I've put in. 

If you have the PILOT's mesh and want to follow along, uncheck the old "Doug's Hawaii" in your scenery library, and download and activate the newer "Doug's Hawaii for PILOTs".  I'm going to first go into and delete things that just don't work, then I'll start re-construction on those new ones. This will not be a pretty process, so only the brave should follow along.

This is what keeps our "hobby" interesting ... one step forward, two steps back. :-)

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2017, 11:45:06 AM »
Doug,
just to be certain when you are modifiying Doug's Hawaii for "PILOTS" are we talking about the the PILOTS 2010 FTX Compatible MESH?
A lot of folks are using the 2010 'Ultra' MESH and that could be a bit different than the 'compatable' version used for ORBX scenery.
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »
Absolutely Correct Spud.  There are too many problems with the Ultra for the Pipeline, etc. So I'm sticking with this one for this project.  Thank you for the clarification!

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 11:49:34 AM »
Doug,
a phrase for OZ comes to mind:

"Good Onya Mate!"
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 12:02:23 PM »
:-)  Isn't it amazing we get everything working perfectly, then we have to just make it better (adding a mesh) and all hell breaks loose and we start over! :-)  I think there must be a "circle" for flight simmers in Dante's Inferno.

What I'm finding, so far, the Pilots mesh affected the water as well as the land. What I've done is add a large AB Flatten to the areas ... and it fixed the water and the local terrain, so very few changes were necessary (a few bushes, etc). If this keeps up, then it is possible we could have a SINGLE download ... these flattens seem to be handling the problem so far.  If that's the case, the flattens will work in the original too. (Maybe???)

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2017, 12:28:51 PM »
Doug,
awhile back I was flying Hawaii and had an anomaly at one location but never got around to asking you about it.  I'm going to 'redo' Hawaii and will report any problems I see using the 2010 Compatible MESH and North American LC (and the rest of ORBX stuff)
Later,

Spud