Author Topic: More From The Co-Pilot's Seat  (Read 6589 times)

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
More From The Co-Pilot's Seat
« on: March 07, 2017, 05:09:14 PM »
Here's some video that I took last June on my most recent Canadian bush fishing trip in the Quebec wilderness, north of the 52nd parallel. This area is access controlled by the native Cree community and is located in lands where their ancestors have lived, hunted and fished for unknown and countless generations.

7 of us flew 70 miles into a remote fishing camp in a well worn DHC-3 Turbo Otter workhorse. The DCH-3 is the Beaver's big brother with much higher load capacity, and the turbine engine is much faster and quieter than the "stock" Otter radial. Even though I included a few still shots of the camp and a couple of "activity" shots, my primary focus is to once again show how things look and operate inside of the cabin and the views out the windows rather than post a video that concentrates on catching fish, which we did aplenty!

Probably one of the most interesting clips is the Otter backing up and "parallel" parking at the dock as we were leaving for the return trip. The pilot is obviously well seasoned in bush operations.

If you chose to watch this on YouTube instead of here, I've included a little more information to read. Just press the "YouTube" icon on the lower right.

Enjoy!

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: More From The Co-Pilot's Seat
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 06:58:30 PM »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the nice video.  I did get a kick out of the homemade restraint for the mixture control to keep it in place during cruise.

Rod

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »
Thanks Rod. Needless to say sitting in the front seat on that flight was a real thrill. My first front seat ride in a turbo Otter into the bush was in 2003 and I was in heaven. So quiet compared to the Otter radials, and Beavers, for that matter, which I've also had numerous flights into and out of the bush.

Turbine engines don't have a mixture control. That's actually a conditioner lever which, I believe, usually has 3 positions. From what I think I understand is that the positions are cutoff, high (or flight) and low (or ground). Cutoff is just that, and the high and low positions set the engine turbine speed when the power levers are set to idle. Could be wrong. I'm sure that a real world pilot will chime in here and further enlighten me about this.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:05:09 PM »
Nice Video ;). Quite a takeoff run! was that all on the water, or did he hang around on the ground effect for a while.? I'll ask my dad about the condition lever. He has about 1,800 hours in ACE air Alaska Beech 1900's.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

THibben

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:14:57 PM »
Steve,

Outstanding video work.

Tom
Tom

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:24:05 PM »
Hey there Ryan,
Everything was done on the water; totally on floats and not an amphib. I'll be interested in hearing what your dad has to say about the conditioner control.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
Thanks Tom. I'm going to have to dig around and see if I can locate my video from a couple of other flights and put them together too.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »
Oops. I meant, during the first takeoff, was the airplane in the water the whole time, or did the pilot takeoff and stay low until he got enough speed to climb out.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 01:02:10 PM »
Ryan,
I'm not exactly clear with your question, per se. I'm guessing that he just gave it the power required to get off the water and rotate and then just slowly and gently climbed. Like I mentioned at the beginning of the video, a forest fire destroyed everything in the area so there aren't too many trees left in the area, except for an an occasional standing burned one, so no trees to really worry about. (Even in un-burned areas the trees there are pretty scrubby and not too tall to begin with (jack pines.)  The terrain is pretty flat as well so there's lots of room for a gentle climb without hitting a hill. Then add to that, the lake had plenty of room to work with. It's was similar to the takeoff in the video clip where after we unloaded and the other guys flew out. Plenty of room and just a nice gentle vertical climb speed. I imagine where you live it could be pretty different because of the all of mountains and valleys to contend with.

One final comment is that there were 7 of us, plus the pilot, and we were probably about 750 lbs or so under the allowable weight. Even with th power and STOL capabilities of the Otter it still took a while to get airborn. Then again, I'm sure the pilot was only using what was necessary to get us off the water in order to conserve fuel and go easy on the engine. Also, it was the first time that he'd flown into Lake Clarkie and he was super extra careful in taxing to the dock because he wanted to make sure that there were no rocks just under the surface. He probably landed a good mile away and just crept to the dock. I was in a Cessna bush plane once and the pilot wasn't familiar with the lake (much smaller) and he and circled that thing about 5 times to check it out before landing. There were some gas cans in the back that were fumy smelling and when he sharply banked as he circled around, I almost lost my breakfast between the steep bank and smelling the fumes.

Hope that answers your questions (and then some!)

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
I know what you mean, Ryan.  I was thinking the same thing.  Is he still on the surface, or flying a few feet above? ???  It was very smooth.   :)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »
The water was glass smooth that morning so when he rotated you couldn't really feel it; you just softly drifted upwards.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 08:14:28 PM »
Turbine engines don't have a mixture control. That's actually a conditioner lever which, I believe, usually has 3 positions. From what I think I understand is that the positions are cutoff, high (or flight) and low (or ground). Cutoff is just that, and the high and low positions set the engine turbine speed when the power levers are set to idle. Could be wrong. I'm sure that a real world pilot will chime in here and further enlighten me about this.

He said that sounds right. The idle/ground position slows lots of fuel flow to the engine, saving fuel and making less noise. One of the guys in my VA took off with the lever set to low and his engines flamed out :o

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 08:17:29 AM »
Hi , what is the pump near Trim . that pilot move up and down ???

Nice Vid

Patrick
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
It raises and lowers the flaps. They're hydraulic, same as on the Beaver.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 07:05:43 PM »
Hi
Thanks Ualani  ;)

Patrick
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]