Author Topic: A fresh sign of life.  (Read 4277 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
A fresh sign of life.
« on: January 10, 2017, 01:57:02 AM »
I need to clean out my cookies, I really do! my RTMM login details are still active when I open this forum page...

Morning all! Here's a greet from out of my retirement into obscurity. In the words of my all-time favourite author, (Sir Terry Pratchett):

"I aten't ded"

And in the word of One-Eye: Yet!

Thanks, Brad, for reminding me that the Moorings haven't come unravelled yet, either. I retired from flight simulation quite some time back, because there was just nothing happening to keep my interest. Oh sure, A2A and OrbX addons filled my world out, but there has been no real improvement in the basic sim software since Microsoft gave up. The license on P3D was too restrictive (I read software licenses - still) and Micosoft 'Flight!' was such an unmitigated disaster...

Sour grapes? Not really. The thing is, the older I get, the more time I seem to have on my hands - but strangely I have less time in which to do it all. Especially since my health has started to argue with my body about my age.

So when my last PC configuration gave up the ghost, I just sort of faded away - until Brad woke me up the other day. So what am I up to these days?

Well, I am still flying, but now I do it in the fresh air - all that sitting at the PC is in disagreement with my doctor's suggestions. So instead of sitting down in front of a PC all day, getting Carpal Tunnel Syyndrome, stiff back and arthritic joints due to not moving; I now spend a lot of time in the open air (at this time of year - freezing my whatnots off) not moving much, staring at the sky till my eyes are watering from the strain and flying remote control airplanes with my thumbs.

In other words, I still get the CTS problems and the only movement excercise I get is recovering fragments of balsa and styrofoam because my last landing was hampered by that bloody mole

So what am I flying these days? Take a look at a couple...

The Ryan STA on ground run - 10cc OS 61 two stroke.

The Klemm 25L resprayed for Old One-Eye - this one runs a 15cc four strok OS 90

My small Tiger Moth (6 foot span) - just before strip down and re-skinning. The new livery is going to be VH-CES - a real world version that a friend of a friend built in Australia. I also have an unbuilt 9 foot span Tiggie awaiting my hands on

One of my more favourite liveries - you'll may have seen a few of my uploads of this livery for a Mustang, a Bell 206 and a few other planes

The Fieseler Storch - currently undergoing "electrification". 6 foot span

So yeah, I'm still aviatin', but just not on the computer these days. And yeah, RW crashes tend to be a little more 'spensive than on the PC - i still haven't found a flight reset button on my RC control box.

I still have fond memories of my days here and it's good to be reminded you still live with my paints. Thanks for the good times.

Blue side up!
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
Re: A fresh sign of life.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:40:57 AM »
Hello Chris,
It's great you'r coming in and saying hello...
Seems you have found a new hobby. Have fun flying these rc-planes in the fresh air.
I wish you all the best.

PS: your paints are still beautiful and will ever be.

Klaus

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 07:28:14 AM »
Hello Chris,
     Glad to see you're well.  I've often wondered how you are doing these days.  It looks like you are keeping busy, and still flying.  Thanks for coming in to say hi.  It's been a long time.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 07:59:39 AM »
Chris!  It's really you??? Great to hear from you! As you can see we are still using your contributions...still appreciated. Great on the RC!!  Please keep dropping in and stay in touch!

Doug

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:15:33 AM »
Chris,
stop in at Misty's place sometime and tipabeer or 3 with the gang.
Later,

Spud

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:33:55 PM »
There's ol One Eye!!!!

You are always welcome at "Misty's Place" my friend and remember, part of the energy you need to keep things interesting is sharing that passion with others who also share that interest. Your stories, repaint contributions and scenery will live here with us. It's just good to socialize with other nit-wit's who think simming is cool!!

RC aircraft is amazing. I saw a guy once flying an F-15 and it was about 6 feet long. Looked like an exact replica of a real one and when it was flying, the illusion of it made it look like the actual scale size. I kept having to remind myself it was RC. Of course the engine sounds weren't present but what a rush.

Stay close Chris and don't be a stranger, I mean it. Don't make me come looking for you on FB!!

Brad

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 03:20:00 AM »
Well good moirning to you all! I really do miss flying around the Moorings and the response to my little sign of life is heart warming. Thanks!

But my PC aged faster than the salt water corrosion on Betsy Beaver's bottom. 32 Gigs of RAM, a graphics card that was hot in 2012 and an Intel core i7 still weren' up to the job of running FSX perfectly... Good? Well maybe. Perhaps I just had way too many sceneries loaded. And when you get involved with games like Assassins' Creed and/or Elder Scrolls, then you start to wonder if it really isn't time for a truly new generation of flight sims.

Of course, being "Old One-Eye" I rarely flew out of reach of the scenery. Most people leave at least a coupla thousand feet of air under their butts. Old One Eye tends to fly as if on finals all the time - low and slow, that's me. But the general FSX population wants to fly F35s, 747's, big Airbii - anything that flies fast and in a straight line from A to D(isaster). They fly over the scenery, I prefer flying amongst the scenery. It was really a fun part of my life from the Artwick days and sometimes I even miss those wire-frame models - they tended to be more reliable than many of the hi-res stuff these days - you had to use your imagination.

Oh, anyone old enough to remember that great spce-flight game "Mercenary"?

But we all get older. I am now old enough to have retired, so I find I have a lot more time on my hands - and conversely, not enough time (left) to do it all. So it's fresh air and a hand held Graupner controller round my neck for now.

I really am hoping that Oculus will come up with a good renbdition of a "true earth"scenery. The demos all look mouth wateringly good. I haven't tried a 3D VR headset yet, but apparently my local electronics place has a demo set-up.

Still, all grumbling and aches and pains aside, getting older is "interesting" at least... and I am certainly living in "interesting times" if the Chinese curse is to be believed.

Of course, the RTMM libraries are still telling tales of droolingly good addins. You guys are definitely keeping yourselves busy. Should ever my meagre pension get augmented, it will be the Moorings that bring me back on track. That's for certain.

So, I leave you with a wish:

"Heavy overcast, sleet, thunder and lightning, radio silence, 90 degree crosswinds, windshear over the threshhold, tree stumps and mole hills and all other forms of bush flight entertainment..."
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »
Good morning Chris.  Thanks for the entertaining story.   8)  I have an HMD VR headset, and if you have a super computer, they are great.  My computer is just ok, apparently.  But a VR flight is very close to being in a real cockpit, except you can't reach out and press buttons, ... yet.   ;) 8)  (still very expensive too)  :o :'(

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P