Author Topic: Using FTX Central for ORBX scenery for FSX  (Read 12068 times)

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
Re: Using FTX Central for ORBX scenery for FSX
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
Also, you could to to FSX/ORBX/user documents. There should be a .kmz file for google earth. Find a random lighthouse or something and go fly and look for it.

Ryan
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2017, 01:08:08 AM »
If you have Google Earth installed, that is.

Like Jeff said, the difference should be blatantly obvious. You'll see mountains and canyons that you never saw before. It's like a 'Wow' moment. Was for me, anyway.

jsapair
Jsapair

bawheeler

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 10:09:08 AM »
No luck.  I have all the ORBX scenery saying it is installed and in the scenery library but I don't think it is visible.  With the snow storm on the east coast today, it looks more like Alaska out my window than it does on my PC!  I guess I'll move this troubleshooting over to the ORBX forums and hope it is something simple I have missed.  Thanks for the suggestions.
MFC0074 -- MSFS on a Dell Alienware Aurora R7, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo flight controls, CH Pedals

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
A picture would have been very helpful ... good luck over at Orbx forum.  I hope you get it all sorted out.   ???

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

bawheeler

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2017, 11:30:23 AM »
Curious... what version of DirectX should I be running and would that impact this?  My FSX simulator had been idle for about 5 years before last week when I started adding RTMM and ORBX goodies, so I am playing catch up on some of the technical issues and thinking I might have missed a few things in the intervening period. 
MFC0074 -- MSFS on a Dell Alienware Aurora R7, 3.7GHz Intel Core i7 8700K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo flight controls, CH Pedals

bawheeler

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »
Here is a screenshot from PANT where I don't think much has changed, that help?

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2017, 12:24:37 PM »
FSX was designed for DX9 and DX10 was being worked on when the entire MSFS development line got yanked. Bottom line is that DX9 is all you need. Having said that, there is a very nice DX10, FSX application that adds lots of features to the FSX game engine, smooths out the graphics and for lots of us has virtually eliminated the CTD's many experienced with plain vanilla FSX/DX9. The creator picked up where the FSX team left off. Worth the upgrade, IMO.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

bawheeler

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
...there is a very nice DX10, FSX application that adds lots of features to the FSX game engine, smooths out the graphics and for lots of us has virtually eliminated the CTD's many experienced with plain vanilla FSX/DX9

Is this the Steam Edition?  Should I try that next or downgrade my DirectX which appears to be at version 11?

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 12:49:40 PM »
Hi Brian,
     Thanks for posting a pic.  Your PAKT looks Orbx to me.  That is default PAKT in Orbx FTX PFJ, and looks normal from what I can tell.   ;)  8)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 12:57:52 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

bawheeler

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
I played around with the scenery toggling ORBX files on and off.  This picture is the Mary Island Lighthouse.  That what I should be expecting?  Yes, it is clearly terrible when ORBX scenery is turned off, but not the WOW effect I guess I was expecting from their site's pretty pictures!  But if this is as good as it gets for my setup, I'll just get back to flying and start searching for the RTMM cabins.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 02:24:57 PM »

Is this the Steam Edition?  Should I try that next or downgrade my DirectX which appears to be at version 11?

No, not Steam.

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/how-to-purchase/
https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/features/

You don't need to downgrade. DX11 is backward comparable to previous versions of DirectX.

Steve
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

ryapad

• Site Contributor
  • Ryan Padgett
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2017, 02:55:53 PM »
I played around with the scenery toggling ORBX files on and off.  This picture is the Mary Island Lighthouse.  That what I should be expecting?  Yes, it is clearly terrible when ORBX scenery is turned off, but not the WOW effect I guess I was expecting from their site's pretty pictures!  But if this is as good as it gets for my setup, I'll just get back to flying and start searching for the RTMM cabins.

When ORBX takes the screenshots, they probably turn all of their settings all of the way up and slew to the best looking part of the region. They are most likely getting 5 FPS ::). That said, with ORBX regions, you get scenery objects at all of the airports and you wont see any random squares of vegetation like in default, plus it gets rid of oatmeal mountains, sand and adds nice landclass. Even on my really low end machine (Intel i7 2Ghz, 8Gb RAM, Intel 4000 graphics HD) I still have a nice improvement over default.

Ryan

PS: Try looking in summer first. It's easier to see the ground because its not covered in snow ;D
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

bawheeler

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I am feeling better after an afternoon flight to my first USFS cabin!  Starting to appreciate all that new scenery even at the current Juneau airport (the one thing I didn't upgrade yet from ORBX).  I'll look into those upgrade links too.  Thanks.  Brian

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2017, 08:23:44 AM »
IE: ORBX promotional screen shots.
Remember ORBX is "selling a product" with the pictures.  Any resemblence to what 98% of FSX users see and those screen shots would be purely coincidental IMHO. 
ORBX scenery is light years better that default FSX and improves simming to a belivable level but there is a long way from 'live' and simulated.
Even ORBX has tried to 'fix' the rest of the FSX world outside of the 'full fat regions' with FTX GLOBAL BASE which is a complete replacement of all FSX default files.  The 'regions' contains excellent scenery and with GLOBAL installed the area outside of the regions is much more believable.  I started simming with a C-64 and the first M$ Flight Simulator I with wire frame scenery and what we have now is beautiful to fly and look at.
 8)
Later,

Spud

av8erjm

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2017, 10:15:37 AM »
looking at ORBX pics on their site I found to be similar to looking at the pic of a Whopper at Burger King. Somewhat different than the real deal