Author Topic: Misty's Place v2.1  (Read 7103 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Misty's Place v2.1
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
However, I do see the same file name practice as a better way of issuing updates. My file naming practice should probably be easier by naming scenery better.

Like instead of the scenery folder having the main scenery file named mistys_place_21 or whatever, simply keep it's name simple, mistysplace.bgl or kitsault.bgl or khutzey.bgl, etc..

Then when I issue a patch I say: "For previous users replace kitsault.bgl with this updated one... New users install as new addon scenery per installation in the readme.txt file.

That sounds better I think. Spuds, Graham, Doug, what do you guys think?

Brad

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 07:30:24 PM »
Actually, the way I did it tonight was a piece of cake. Just deleted the FSX/Addon Scenery/Misty's Place ... grabbed the new one and put it in.  OK, I lost the sound files. I downloaded them (literally at almost the same time) and put them back in.  What might help on the sound files is if we'd put all the FX in to an Effects folder, all the wav's into a Sound folder and then the bgl's into a Misty's Place folder (for example). You wouldn't have to be picking them out with CTRL, then copy, then pasting.  You'd just grab "sound" and dump it onto "sound" ... done. If everyone was putting the scenery in the same place, and I bet they are not, then it could all be done with one folder "FSX".  So we're going to have to keep them separate because people don't follow the same protocol.

The difficult part from my side of it ... I was putting them into folders on the server that said "mistys_place_v1.1  ... then when 1.2 comes out I had to change all that.    I now go to the remote and take out the WHOLE folder, files and all. Then clean out the local folder and rename it without a version number (so slowly the version numbers are disappearing on the main folders), and put the new stuff in it. Then "put" that whole folder up to the remote...an identical copy of what's on the local.  I was trying to change it piecemeal before, and it was a mess.  So best to just 'delete' and 'copy'.  So that's why I sort of do it that way on my addon folder.  If you try to pick out the bgl files, you're liable to grab an object file by accident instead of the bgl for the sounds, (I've done it) ... but if I make a mistake here, it's a mistake for everybody so I don't take the chance. I wipe it and start over.  That's how I knew the download was ok.  There were no sounds in it. Then I had to put them back in. Once I do the new download, then I go to my OWN FSX files and make the changes to make sure all is working.

D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:33:51 PM by Doug »

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 01:21:10 AM »
  Thanks Doug and Brad for all the hard work and great updates.   My first update of Misty's ended with the sound files going away too.  I removed the old folder completely and replaced with the new Misty's folder.  Redownloaded the sounds file and installed.   

Just a thought, but what if when you issue an update like this you keep the main mistyplace.bgl file name the same and just overwrite the previous version when updating on our scenery?  Easier? Harder?  This time around I just copied/pasted the three files from the update and said yes to replacing the originals.  Now I had a mistys_place_02 file (original) and the new misty's_place_v21.   I renamed the original to misty's_place_02.bgl to  bgl.old and took a look in the sim. Everything was correct and my sounds were intact.  Now I'll delete the _02.bgl.   If they had the same name I would have just overwritten the old one and been done.
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 07:23:01 AM »
I think the idea of having one set file name makes more and more sense to me. Thank you Spud and Graham for the suggestions. Now it's WIP time.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
Already replied to Brad's email about using the same file name, which I think it the most error free method for updating scenery.  If you are concerned when Windows ask if you want to replace file X just say no, rename file X with say an extension of .OLD in your sim and then copy the new stuff into the scenery.  After making sure it works then you can delete the .OLD file.  Do I detect de javu IE: Dragnhorn's post.
 8)
Later,

Spud

GrahamP

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
Yep, good that the same file names are going to be kept when updating.

However, as per my intial post in this thread, there's still the issue of file names that are common to different sceneries but have different file contents depending on which scenery link they are downloaded from.

For instance, if you download fx_party.fx from the misty's Place "Sound" link, you will get the file dated 09/02/2011.

But if you download fx_party.fx from the Nina's Landing "Sound" link you will get the same file name dated 25/02/2011 (which has been updated with a different Radius value).

If this is also the case for other file names that are common to different sceneries, it is possible that installing an older scenery after a newer scenery could overwrite a newer (updated) file.  Not so much of an issue for those of us that install as they are produced.  More of an issue for somebody new to the scenery who is installing a whole bunch of them, not necessarily in order they were produced.

This could be covered by including in the instructions that overwriting of an existing file should only be permitted if it does not overwrite a newer file with an older one.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 02:35:06 PM by GrahamP »
Graham

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 09:32:21 PM »
Whenever I try to install a file with the same name but different date, my Win 7 gives a warning that the one I'm trying to overwrite is a newer file.  I then cancel the whole idea.  :-)
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

frostllp

• Flight Sim Scenery Addict
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »
Thanks for the new compatible cabin for us SP2 users.  :)