Author Topic: FTX Central3  (Read 16138 times)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: FTX Central3
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 03:07:17 PM »

... just to throw my two cents into the hat ...  I've had a very smooth and trouble-free experience migrating to V3, as well as getting all my Orbx purchases finally installed in P3D easily and comprehensively.  I haven't felt the need to save copies on my HD, only installed to the sim.  My Orbx collection is finally whole, and on P3D.
I didn't take JV's letters too personally.  He's like that, I guess.  He did apologize and try to fix things.  Neither here nor there to me.  Anyway, the system works.  I haven't had any scenery library insertion point issues either.  The stuff stays where it should be.  (... just my personal experience.) ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

plug_nickel

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 03:39:46 PM »
Well, I'm one who has several custom installs of Orbx that are not in the P3Dv3 root folder and I must say, FTX Central v3 has been exasperating to say the least.

1) FTX Central v3 and OrbxDirect are centrally tied to the registry now and will be from here on out.

2) No matter what sim you're currently running, if your install of Orbx is fully stable, transferring your FSS licenses to OrbxDirect will not affect your current install in any manner.

2.1) Updating any of the scenery files or library through FTX Central v3 has screwed around the scenery.cfg file order. This is a known  bug and is being addressed. Sadly, customers have registered new complaints regarding the latest FTX Central v3 update of itself.

3) After transferring your FSS licenses, you don't have to re-download anything or reinstall anything for your current Orbx scenery to work. It will be simply activated when logging into FTX Central v3.

4) Since Orbx  has requested and FSS has agreed, the current FSS wrappers will continue to work should the need to reinstall due to HDD or SSD catastrophic failure. This will aid those who have to reinstall OS, Sim and Orbx from scratch.

5) At some point in the future, when all the "box of rocks" have quit their panic downloads and bandwidth has once again returned to normal, backup downloads will be much quicker than before.

Orbx could have and should have presented the necessary procedure more clearly in a logical and business like manner: NO EXCUSE.

I would (did):
                   a) Setup an OrbxDirect account;
                   b) Transfer FSS licensces;
                   c) Install FTX Central v3;
                     c.1) Migrate and activate the scenery;
                   d) Do not update and scenery files, the library or FTX Central v3 itself at this  time.

* Note for c.1): Since I've got several custom installs and am running Orbx on different drive, my scenry.cfg files were completely altered. I simply used my cfg backups and all was well. I don't think this would happen to a default install, but I'd backup my cfg just in case.

Just don't update anything as noted in d).

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »
Robert,
If you sim is running fine and you already have all the ORBX scenery installed you do NOT have to do ANYTHING right now.
The big problem with Central v3 and the file migration is that many many people assumed that they had to download all their files all over again.
Some folks D/L their files just to have a backup of the ORBX Direct files although their sim was running fine.
The servers were being used to the extent that D/L were extremely slow and according to JV the cost was astronomical, (2 million AUD)-
Eventually you should D/L your file because although your sim is fine you will not recieve notice of any updates with the new ORBX Direct.  At least I think that's what will happen.  If just migrating from FSS will provide updates I haven't actually read that anywhere that I recall.
I was forced to D/L everything due to HD replacement so I contributed to the mess I guess.
Can't say I have a lot of sympathy for ORBX over the whole thing.  Due to the way it is implemented everyone wanted to D/L and save everything at the same time.  If ORBX had not basically made it mandantory to switch IF you want updates they wouldn't be in the mess now!!!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:06:55 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 05:41:19 PM »
Thanks for the clarity Guy. 

My thinking was/is to only download a file if a update came out for it. I guess transferring all my license's at once is a lot different than downloading all my purchased programs at once unless I need to as you did....maybe that was the thought at orbx but was not made clear enough by them to the customer.  Life is full of learning is it not  :)

Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2016, 05:53:34 PM »
Robert,
I am not sure if you will get update notices if the files are only migrated from the FSS OR you have to D/L them again to get an update notice.  The more I ponder the more it makes sense that IF you migrate only update notices should show up.  Having to D/L everything all over just so update notices would show really doesn't make any sense does it?
I had to get em' all over as the new HD required a new re-build.  Which is driving me cazy ATM. (see my question about the number of libraries for RTMM).

Later,

Spud

Doc_Z

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 04:28:22 PM »
If you have the ORBX scenery installed, from FSS or not,  you will get update notices.  Also, the library insertion problem for some people has, I believe, been fixed in the latest iteration of FTXC3. 

Luckily or not, I had absolutely not problems with the migration, etc.

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 09:28:08 PM »
What I noticed in Central3 is that my LC NA AK/Ca didn't migrate. Saw mention of that at the ORBX forums a while back so I'm not the only one. I assume it's still sitting at the FSS un-migrated but I haven't checked. Anybody else? I also assume there is a fix coming for that, but what do I know. Other than that the migration went OK. Now that Spud and others mention the fact that doing pretty much anything in Central3 will require re-arranging the scenery library, I haven't messed with it at all.
                                                       jsapair
Jsapair

Dieter

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 04:18:43 AM »
LC NA AK/Ca didn't migrate..
It is known  that openLC Alaska/Canada is not in available in Orbx store anymore. This software was merged with openLC North America.
There are still a lot of customers who didn't see any reason to buy the complete North America software and pay again for included Alaska/Canada.
Orbx promised to solve this issue by putting openLC Alaska/Canada in store store again as an independant software.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 10:59:53 AM »
If you have the ORBX scenery installed, from FSS or not,  you will get update notices.  Also, the library insertion problem for some people has, I believe, been fixed in the latest iteration of FTXC3. 

Luckily or not, I had absolutely not problems with the migration, etc.

Unfortunately there is only one version of FTXC at the moment.   V3.0.1.1 is the original and has not yet been 'fixed' it still has the Scenery Library re-write problem.
 :-X
Later,

Spud

geezer

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 05:55:40 PM »
Spud, my understanding is you should have only one OZx library folder installed into the scenery library, that you should add ver2 into the ver1 folder, then add ver3 etc.  I forget the exact version numbers but you get the idea.  I'm virtually certain about this but you can correct me if I'm wrong.  It's been a while but iirc, some files will overwrite others when you add the newer versions. 

From what you wrote, it looks like you install a separate folder for each OZx library version into the scenery library and I believe this is incorrect and duplicate files could cause problems.  But, like I said, it's been a while.  When I install anew it's all setup in a master OZx folder now.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2016, 06:58:46 PM »
Geezer,
actually concerning OZx scenery I run both North American and Australia secenry by OZx.  That requires three folder in your scenery library acutally:
1. OZx_AU
2. OZx_LIB
3. OZx_NA
RTMM libraries do not contain ANY duplicate files after they were all made FSX/P3D compatible several months ago. That project was about 6 months in the making.
RTMM libraries IF you have all the RTMM scenery requier nine (9) seperate libraries and each should be kept separate from the other.
In the past I used to have one master library that was huge trying to keep the number of FSX Scenery Library files lower.  In fact the install instructions for our libraries have alternate directions for those that want to use just one scenery library.  I have since given that mthod up and now have serparate RTMM libraries in my Scenery Library.
 8)
Later,

Spud

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2016, 09:42:38 PM »
I'm going to move my reply to New Topic: OzX to keep from muddying up this thread.
Jsapair

Lipra

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 05:13:33 AM »
I'm trying to get an account. It tells me that I will get a e-mail to confirm, this never came I then went for a password reset again never happened. I am inclined to give it a bit longer before mailing support maybe next week. To see if things get sorted any one know any different.

Update:-This has now been resolved. My account was reset without e-mail and I can now log in
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 07:10:50 AM by Lipra »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 08:42:29 AM »
On the ORBX forums this morning.  Ben posted about 2 hrs. ago that the Scenery Library re-writing problem with FTX Cv3 has been fixed and is being tested as we speak (type?).
Hopefully the forthcoming release will put the re-writing problem to rest thank God!
 8)
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 09:21:23 AM »
Back to geezer's post.
there are only one (1) sub-folder each for ORBX and OZx in the FSX folder on your HD but each of those folders contain many more folders.  12 for ORBX and 6 for OZx.
In the FSX Scenery Library; (can't speak for P3D  as I'm an old fart and don't use it.) the ORBX entries for a full install are over 80 entries.  This does NOT include any of the LC, MESH or VECTOR  entries.  The OZx entries in the Scenery Library are only 3 if you use both the Australia and North America scenery.
I think some folks are confusing the folders in FSX and the FSX Scenery Libraries, two different animals!
FWIW someone mentioned they put all there RTMM libraries into one folder.  This may cause you problems when any changes ae made to the libraries unless you use caution when updating.  Just today there was and update to the FSXP3D WH_BWEP Objects_SW library to accomodate the new Lodge at Black Rock scenery.
 8)

Later,

Spud