Author Topic: Working on the boats.  (Read 541763 times)

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Working on the boats.
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2015, 11:13:24 AM »
At this point, I only have the Malibu32.   

Rod

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2015, 11:16:38 AM »
That makes sense to have one for each boat ... that "protects" the DeltaSim people, you only use that one if you have BOUGHT that boat.  He is using same gauges for the other big boats, so I might not have to change much. I could also make a "generic" one using Cessna Guages ... I think there is a wind speed/direction gauge I can use. That would keep us out of copyright problems.  I'll look into it.

So far, the Rotterdam is tracking the Mistys to Port Protection sail plan just fine.  Setting these up to go from SPB to SPB works great in Plan-G.  What a great way to just sit back and relax, read a book, while sailing along. We will have some fun with these.

D

Doug

« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:12 PM »
Testing the new "sail plan" and the new Jellaire Nav Gauge

... and just when you thought it was safe to sit back, relax and take a snooze or enjoy a good book ... ah, there's something on the horizon!  And soon is all his "rusty freighter glory" Dex sails past.  I'll always say that Dex Thomas' AI Shipping/Boats project absolutely makes realism at RTMM work.  What fun to have a freighter show up and pass by closely. (And you better pay attention to "dodge" if they get too close).

UPDATE: Made Port Protection before nightfall in a rainstorm. Safely docked. The new Nav gauge tracked all the way with NO problems. We encountered about 8 or 10 of Dex's ships.  The cruise took from 10:50 AM until 3:12 PM ... about 4 hours.  A headwind will slow you down and a tail wind will speed you up, so you can only estimate a trip like this.  Again, no glitches. This works perfectly. It was a Plan-G going from SPB to SPB.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:14:38 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2015, 06:47:48 PM »
Nice way to end the day ...

Running a new Sail Plan from Port Protection to Sitka. I make these fairly close to the shoreline because some folks will be using smaller boats, so they would naturally stay near shore. The new autopilot is really great. I can sit back, listen to Pandora and read an Ebook on my Kindle ... relaxing way to spend an evening.

Doug
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 06:53:00 PM by Doug »

marc2140

« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »
Nice that you like the new Otto-pilot, guys.
I wanted to see what it did under tougher conditions, so I did the Grenville Channel cruise from Prince Rupert to Hartley Bay. But really no problem. At times I thought now it's going to hit the shore, but no at the last moment it corrected itself.
But indeed you have to stay alert for the AI shipping traffic. With combinations of RTMM AI shipping + the Henrik Nielsen packages traffic is getting dense sometimes.
I am now going to try it out on other ships to see if they react and track just as well. Maybe for some vessels corrections in the aircraft.cfg are necessary.
There are still a lot of ideas I have, that we could develop in this water/boat section. I think I will round them up in another topic.
In the meantime, just like Doug, I want to enjoy the scenery and the peace that the water brings, during the cruises.
for yr info, I attach the panel.cfg file as it looks now on my big tugboat.
Cheers
Marcel

Intel i7-4790k @ 4.8 GHz-MBO Asus MaxVii Hero-Corsair 780T-Corsair PSU 1000w-Corsair H100i GTX cooling-G Skill 16gb 2400/CL 10 (2x8gb)-Geforce GTX980 4gb ddr5-SSD 850 pro 512gb-2Tb HDD WD black 7200rpm-LG Blu Ray-Wifi pci-exp N900 (dual freq 2.4+5ghz)-Win7 Ult OS 64bit-FSX-SE

Doug

« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »
Marcel, which tug are you using?  Jeff and I put a "marina" section into "The Moorings" part of RTMM. Maybe we should start there and get a nice little fleet. Then get the panel.cfg's set up for each one.  I'm playing with sail plans right now and not having a problem. If you have one that works going down the Grenville Channel, shoot it to me.  I'll keep these in one place so we can come up with a Sail Plan section. We have some boat trips in there now, but this opens up a whole new vista.

Something Jeff and I are talking about. I made one plan that I call "open".  You get in the boat, set a heading and go to a waypoint (Plan G shows them all over the place), then as you make the waypoints, you put the next one into the GPS, or set a heading.  It is not "automatic" ... but you are using the new nav autopilot all the time. This seems pretty realistic. For a "closed" plan (like the one I'm testing now) you go from SPB to SPB. Once it is checked out, you don't have to touch anything ... good for an evenings relaxation. I sort of like the "hands on" (open) plan ... it seems more fun to me. But we could make both for folks.  Since we are also into PNW now, I guess we could think about a series that would give us the whole "Inside Passage" like the cruise ships up there do. For folks that will never be in that part of the world, they could experience this great trip virtually.

Also, because of all the 'big water' we have ... a pilotable cruise ship actually would make sense for the marina (we'll need a bigger pier I think!)

As an example, the "open" plan could be as simple as the pic below ...

Doug

marc2140

« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2015, 08:01:56 AM »
My tugboat is the FSX Pilotable High Sea Salvage Tugboat downloadable at http://simviation.com/1/browse-Misc-58-15.
It seems to be a well known boat with several video's on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKokuV5uwg (2videos follow each other - is in french)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Na8EY1irA
My adapted panel.cfg file is in my previous post in the thead.
Cheers
Marcel

Intel i7-4790k @ 4.8 GHz-MBO Asus MaxVii Hero-Corsair 780T-Corsair PSU 1000w-Corsair H100i GTX cooling-G Skill 16gb 2400/CL 10 (2x8gb)-Geforce GTX980 4gb ddr5-SSD 850 pro 512gb-2Tb HDD WD black 7200rpm-LG Blu Ray-Wifi pci-exp N900 (dual freq 2.4+5ghz)-Win7 Ult OS 64bit-FSX-SE

marc2140

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2015, 04:42:30 PM »
I like your idea about a little fleet Doug.
But then I feel that we should improve the quality of the ships. And that means more than just adding an auto pilot.
It means ships with reverse thrust, push back options, anchoring options, etc.
I spent some hours today on reading through forums and found a lot of interesting things.
A Mr. Chuck Backus seems to know a lot about this.
Here is a youtube video on how he improved the FDE of a standard Delta-sim yacht.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Fo3xHkmOE&feature=youtu.be
The whole thread about this boat developments is at http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?274838-Planes-Or-Watercraft&highlight=napamule2
Unfortunately I did not manage to get the 180 yacht functioning in my fsx. But I think I am going to try and contact the guy.
Have a nice evening
Marcel
Marcel

Doug

« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2015, 07:59:21 PM »
Keep us posted if you get hold of him. You might tell him what we are trying to do and see if he has any suggestions. I agree with you, we need reverse, etc. The darned Smitt Rotterdam (DeltaSim) only gets going if you turn it into a float plane, get that going, then switch back). Maybe we can fix quirks as we go.

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
Hmmm, that's funny.  My Smit Rotterdam does have very good reverse thrust, and responds to the regular GPS.  I was not able to make the OTTOpilot work in it though.  It would do crescent switchbacks back and forth across the path of travel.  I think it was searching for land.  I got beached several times before getting away from Misty's Place.  Probably because my boat is tuned to the regular autopilot, and is not "stock".  If I used a default set of config files, it probably would work.  I don't know.  :-\

I thought that 180's movements were kinda strange.  It was like the props or jets were mounted in the center of the boat.  And was that an autopilot demo, or was he just maneuvering around manually?   :-\
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:13:14 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »
Doug, could you post the Port Protection FP  here? Big fan of the TV show but I'm not sure exactly where it is. POW Island?

jsapair
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2015, 09:54:56 PM »
Doug, could you post the Port Protection FP  here? Big fan of the TV show but I'm not sure exactly where it is. POW Island?

jsapair
Scroll up to reply number 102.   ::)

Link is under the map, at the bottom.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:56:51 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Handie

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2015, 01:26:29 PM »
If you don't like steering with your rudder pedals, there is a fix for that also, in the aircraft.cfg file, to switch to ailerons which means steering with the yoke.
Hello Jeff,

I installed the Sirocco with your files "Scirocco Autopilot From Jeff Greene (03/31/11)"
How to use my Yoke to steer the boat, I do not have rudder pedals?
Should we remove the line "aileron_to_rudder_scale // 0.4 = 100.0 (Links to fin rudders)" in the aircraft.cfg?

Moreover, in this aircraft.cfg, why are there 2 times more [fltsim.x] than in the original file? What do those who have "-1" in addition ?

Thank you  ;)
Nadine
I9 9900K 5GHz-Asus ROG STRIX Z390E-Alim 1000G 80 Plus Gold-ASUS Dual RTX 2080TI 11G-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Go DDR4-Watercooling Enermax LIQTECH II 360 RGB + 2 ventilos-SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500Go-2 SSD 860 EVO 2To-HDD Seagate Barracuda 4To-Ecran Dell UltraSharp-3840x1600-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »
Scroll up to reply number 102.   ::)

Link is under the map, at the bottom.  ;)

Thanks, Jeff. I missed the fine print.
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
If you don't like steering with your rudder pedals, there is a fix for that also, in the aircraft.cfg file, to switch to ailerons which means steering with the yoke.
Hello Jeff,

I installed the Sirocco with your files "Scirocco Autopilot From Jeff Greene (03/31/11)"
How to use my Yoke to steer the boat, I do not have rudder pedals?
Should we remove the line "aileron_to_rudder_scale // 0.4 = 100.0 (Links to fin rudders)" in the aircraft.cfg?

Moreover, in this aircraft.cfg, why are there 2 times more [fltsim.x] than in the original file? What do those who have "-1" in addition ?

Thank you  ;)

Hi Nadine,
     You don't have rudder pedals? ???  How do you steer when taxiing?  That is also how you steer a boat.  I prefer to steer the boat with my flight yoke, rather than twisting my pedals.  If you want to turn off "yoke steering", just put two of these ---> // marks before the "aileron_to_rudder_scale=" line.  That will turn it off, making steering normal (default). 
     The only difference between the default boats and the extra ones is a line called "UI_type=" in which I added "airplane", where it was blank originally.  I am checking on that now, with my sim.  It has been a few years since this project was done.

Going boating, . . . back in a bit!  ;)

Ok, I am back.  I tried both "versions" tracking the autopilot.  The "-1" versions seem to track better, more tightly.  I only added the characters "-1" to the boats' names to make them different than the originals names.  You can delete the added entries if they bother you, or are unwanted.  But they seem to work better.  Try one, and see.  The boats steering seems a little too radical, but I suppose I was trying to get it to turn better.  Be gentle with the steering.  ;)

You could add to the UI_type= line the word "airplane" in the [flightsim.x] boats that don't have them, then delete the "-1" copies from the list.  Numbers 3,4, and 5, I believe.  Then you would only have the three boats.  One blue, one red, and one white.  ;)

Ha ha ha ha ha . . .  ;D

That's funny.  So very funny.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 11:10:09 PM by jeff3163 »