Author Topic: Working on the boats.  (Read 541761 times)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Working on the boats.
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:15:13 AM »
I installed a few Nav/GPS buttons in my Malibu to see which mode I'm in.  I like it, so I thought I'd share.  The following sections are for the Deltasim Malibu, in the panel.cfg file:

Pick one you like, or use them all.
//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window00]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=1024
position=8
visible=0
ident=MAIN_PANEL
                                                                                     //Note there wasn't anything in this panel originally.
gauge00=Beech_Baron!Nav GPS Switch, 512,984,40,40  // Puts switch in bottom center of window.  Use
                                                                                      // shift+1 to display it.

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Window01]
Background_color=2,2,2
size_mm=156,308
window_size_ratio=1.000 
position=8
visible=0
ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL
window_size= 0.244, 0.642
window_pos= 0.756, 0.358

gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Audio,  0,0,156
gauge01=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 1,  0,29,156
gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 2,  0,86,156
gauge03=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF,  0,142,156
gauge04=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio DME,  0,180,156
gauge05=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr,  0,217,156
gauge06=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,  0,262,156
gauge07=Beech_Baron!Nav GPS Switch, 0,262,20,20  // Puts switch in upper left corner of AP radio.
                                                                                  // (at bottom of radio stack)

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit - (I've removed the switch over the compass, in the VC, because it was ugly and redundant.  The one on the radio stack is pretty cool though.)

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:10:03 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Working on the boats.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:25:16 AM »
Jeff, does the gps/nav make a difference in the boat's tracking a plan?  I thought this would be the key, that the stack was set on "nav" and you needed it switched to "gps" (that's why the switch is added to the beaver).

Another question I've got ... does anybody know what makes the "water rudders" kick in in an amphibian. (Ctrl-W).  Is there something we can add to the aircraft.cfg to add water rudders to the boats. That would keep them from "sliding" and might actually help them track on a gps turn.

Doug

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:03:46 AM »
It should be on "GPS".  I am working on the water rudder thing.  Nothing conclusive yet.  I'll get back to you on that one. 
I put my mug on this can of soda, to see if I could. 

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:30:17 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 12:27:46 AM »
I am finding that using autorudder (ctrl+shift+U) while in autopilot helps the boats turn better.

Edit:  Disregard this, as a better solution has been discovered since this post.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:37:38 PM by jeff3163 »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »
Nice airboat, Dieter.  I like it. 

(But, maybe they should be in the screenshot gallery, though, as I was wanting to use this thread to deal with the "configuration" of the boats' aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files.)

For using the GPS you have to activate "Avionics" via a given key or load the default MS C-172 before.

There seems to be alot more to do than that.  ( I tried both of those suggestions, but no positive results came from doing it.  Avionics is active, btw.)  The problem is that the boats steer via the rudder, a plane steers via the ailerons.  How to switch this rule?  That is the question.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:00:39 PM by jeff3163 »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 12:51:55 PM »
I've posted a video showing my progress so far.  Well, the video doesn't do justice to all the tweaking I've done, but it shows the boat tracking the GPS signal, and following the path.  There's a part where the route goes over a little island.  I had to swerve to avoid the island, and the AP brought me back in line.  Always run boats with the "autorudder" activated (ctrl+shift+U), even if you have rudder pedals.  The AP turns much better that way.  Watch video in HD, full screen, to be able to read the GPS better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9NK2e3a-SM

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 10:58:22 PM »
I just put water rudders on my Malibu.  I've got to go for a test run, and dial them in.  But they're on the boat, and it's still riding in the water ok.  No spinning out of control, yet.  ;D

The new water rudder switch is accessed with shift+1.  It's right next to the Nav/GPS switch.  The water rudder switch won't show up if no water rudders are on the boat.  As soon as I installed the water rudder's lines into the cfg file and reloaded the boat, the switch showed up. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:36:08 PM by jeff3163 »

Doug

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »
Jeff ... you are getting closer!  I've been navigating with the top down window open in an undocked window. I have it set for the boat's heading (not north up). Make it about 1/3 of the screen high, maybe 2" wide and put it down in the left corner.  If we put a Heading Guage, your switches, an on/off for heading, and just the small gps, we'd have a heck of a boat navigation panel.  I'm playing with that aspect of this.  The boat is centered in that window. So half the screen (behind you) you don't care about ... you've "been there."  So if we put the gauges in the bottom half it wouldn't interfere with the the function of the top down. This would work for blue water and for river runs.

The top down view is invaluable in Misty. There are islands that come at you that have no land above the water line, you don't see them until you are on them. But if you are looking in top down, all of these show beautifully. (Plan-G and the FSX Map) don't see these and neither are picking up the new PFJ landscape).  I'm finding, even without autopilot, it is a lot of fun to follow a gps course that misses the obstructions. You can see them coming with the top down, etc.

NOTAM If we've got any "panel people" out there, we're open to help and hints on the above. What would be nice is a simple wooden panel on the bottom 1/3 of that window (letting the top down view work behind it) and the gauges on that pane. Pull it up from the "instruments" view and we're all set.

Doug

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 03:59:59 PM »
Eureka!!  I've done it.  I found this link on the web, the key I'd been searching for.  I now have a working boat AP.  I'm posting updated cfg files.  They have been re-worked, and cleaned up some. 
     There is a variable I found, to "Link the ailerons to the rudders".  That is what I needed.  Now steering is done with the steering wheel, like a real boat.  They don't have pedals.  It also maps the autopilot to the rudder, instead of the ailerons.  Careful with the steering, it is kinda touchy, but is very nice.  I may be able to soften it up a bit, but don't want to lose the beautiful tracking.  Don't freak out because your rudder pedals don't work, they are disabled in the cfg file.  You'll get 'em back when you switch to a plane.
     I removed the Nav/GPS switch from the compass, as it didn't really function well.  The radio stack, and panel switches are perfect for the job.  I don't think we need to mess with a wooden panel look. The panel window, as I have it, is transparent and less invasive to the screen.  The switches are at the bottom center.
    I'm sending the cfg files now, so you can try it out.

-edit-  I installed a default C208 water rudder switch.  Everyone should have one of those in their gauges folder.

If I've missed anything, let me know. 

Bookmark this link into your browser, for a quick reference while editing your cfg files. ;)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx#mozTocId942782

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:14:28 PM by jeff3163 »

Doug

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 04:10:55 PM »
Great find ... a step at a time, you're getting there.  Can't get the radio stack to turn on, will this track autopilot better?  Also didn't see the cab files, just 2 configs in the zipper?

D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:16:20 PM by Doug »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 05:01:04 PM »
Great find ... a step at a time, you're getting there.  Can't get the radio stack to turn on, will this track autopilot better?  Also didn't see the cab files, just 2 configs in the zipper?

D
I'm removing the CAB file, looking for a native rendition.  Sending the cfg files now, so you can try it out.

Sorry about that.  I had to remove the cab file because it was too large for a post.  I, or someone, needs to find a water rudder switch from a default fsx plane.  So that everyone will already have that switch in their systems.  The one I have is from a floatplane called Flight_Design_CTSW_C-IMCT.  It's a cute little single seater, freeware too.  I found this in its readme file:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flight Design CTsw Light Sport Aircraft on Floats - Full Package for FSX

The Flight Design CT is the performance leader in Light Sport Aircraft due to its remarkable design and high-tech construction. The carbon fiber and Kevlar composite airframe allows for a very strong, light and aerodynamically clean design. The unique fuselage design of the CT minimizes drag and maximizes interior room for you and your luggage.

All new FSDS2 & 3 design as of 15 Oct, 2007
Copyright 2007 by Premier Aircraft Design

Barry Blaisdell
Jean-Pierre Brisard
Bob May
Kevin Pardy
Danny Crance
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It says it's illegal for me to distribute the gauge file without permission, but people can get the plane themselves. 

I think the best solution is to come up with a switch that everyone already has.  We don't really "need" the switch though.  I think it'll work without a switch.  But we will have one.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:31:01 PM by jeff3163 »

Doug

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »
Messing with the "panel" on the Malibu ... just learning how to position things, etc.  This configuration works for me ... on the right is a top down, you can see the islands coming.  There is a gps/nav switch on the lower part of the radio stack (autopilot part).  I can also switch to heading, and control it by tweaking the heading gauge above right of the little cluster.  I did it by modifying the "windows" in panel.cfg.  When I finally get this all figured out, I'd like to put those on a nice wooden panel and have them all come up at once.  Ah well ... there's always tomorrow.

These seem to be all the instrumentation we need.   Boy, that takes some "figuring out" putting those things in their place ... not real intuitive. :-)

Anyway, that's how I spent my day!

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:55:08 PM »
I like it.  (I spent my day "wishing" I could work on my fsx!).  I tightened the steering down a little more tonight before posting the new config files.  Working like a champ so far. 

I see now what you were saying about the top-down view.  I though you were driving IN that view.

PS-I've settled on the C208's water rudder switch.  Everyone should have one of those.  It's kinda ugly, but they can swap it for one they have, if they know how.  It's very easy to do.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:05:14 PM by jeff3163 »

Doug

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Jeff ... made it all the way from Misty's Place (PF21) to Totem Bight without touching anything. Ran it about  65 mph, it tracked all the way.  I'm not using your "new" config file, this is still the old one I have. The only two problems I noticed, it oscillated a little back and forth across the "flight path" ... not bad. And at "idle" it takes off ... I think the idle has too many revs going.  I'm betting you new approach will clear up the oscillation.

For anyone wanting to try the route, it is attached. It is a good one to "try" to see if your boat is "tweaked" to accomplish it.  Most cannot yet, Jeff is getting very close to having a boat that will follow the autopilot (as you can see from the above).

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »
     Ah, so you've got your boat tracking now.  Good.  You should really get the updated cfg files.  I think the last changes I made were monumental ones towards the goal.  I can't think at the moment what I had done, as I just got home from work, and am just happy to sit down.  I think I decreased the bank angle, and increased the bank velocity.  Anyway, it's better than the earlier one.  I am finalizing the tower model, just need to clean up the config files. 
     I just installed your window into my Maltese Falcon.  I haven't started FSX yet, but I've been working on getting the Falcon working last night.  It's physics are much different from the Malibu.  I couldn't just copy from one to the other.  I've got to adjust everything differently for the Falcon.  And now I can check out your panel while I'm working on the falcon. (. . . and your new route, too)

Update:  Doug, on your panel window, put the switch line "AFTER" the GPS line and the switch will be on top of the GPS.  I've got it this way: . . .

gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,  0,262,156
gauge01=Beech_Baron!Nav GPS Switch, 2,267,20,20
gauge02=Fs9gps!gps_500,  0,132,157,130
gauge03=FDCT2!water_rudder,  2,245,20,20
gauge04=Cessna172!Airspeed,8,70,50,60
gauge05=Cessna172!Whiskey_Compass, 64,90,30,20
gauge06=Cessna!Heading_Indicator,    100,70,50,60

I just took a screenshot of your panel with the above configuration.  I put it into my Malibu.  I couldn't get the Falcon to steer right, so I threw up my hands, shook it off, and loaded the Malibu.  I'm heading to Misty's to run your course to Totem Bight.  I'll get back to the Falcon later.

In the picture, you can see that I moved the Nav/GPS switch down a few pixels, and put the water rudder right above it, in the bottom corner of the GPS.  That corner was wasted space anyway, and I didn't want to go below the Nav/GPS and cover up the AP button. 
      So was that what you were asking?  If I could move the water rudder switch, and make it show up?  I guess the answer is YES. 

(remember.  We two are the only ones that can use the FDCT2!water_rudder switch.  No one will have that except you and me.)  Unless they get that floatplane pictured earlier in this post.  Otherwise it's the "Cessna208!Water-Rudder" for the masses.  Everyone has one of those.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:23:23 PM by jeff3163 »