Author Topic: Working on the boats.  (Read 542273 times)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Working on the boats.
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2011, 04:17:15 AM »
I just put up the latest Malibu config files, in this thread, replies #8, and #17.  I hope they work as good for you as they do for me.  Let me know.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2011, 12:44:07 PM »
Doug, I'm putting this version of your panel with my configs.  Unless I find a problem with doing so, the only non-default gauge is the digital speedometer.  That's a Scirocco gauge, so people would have to get the Scirocco for that to show up.  I made the Nav/GPS and water rudder buttons share the spot to the left of the 737 AP unit.  It looks better than putting it on the corner of the GPS.  They can upgrade to the better gauges later, if they want to. 

Oh, I noticed that I now have an F-111 in my hangar.  I think it came with one of the AI packages.  Not sure, as I don't remember acquiring it.  I'll have to check it out, and see if it's flyable, or just AI traffic.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »
Both of those, the F-111 and the Sirocco are freeware ... you could add a Gauge folder, put the two gauges in it and tell them to put it into their gauge folder.  Problem solved.  Looks great!  It sure makes it easier driving those things from the "outside" where you can see all the scenery.

I'm messing with the Freedom of the Seas .. it "hops" and there's no wake from the original download. Have you played with that one just for "graphics?"  The wake needs changing, it looks like its sitting still yet its going about 24 knots. The hopping is maddening. When you're on the instrument panel ... it hops and a voice says "don't sink" ...(you'd think you were on the Titantic!).   Maybe we should get that voice into all our boats just to remind people to watch for the rocks! :-)   I'm making making a very "real" cruise using FOS to leave Ketchikan, pass New Eddystone Rock and go up Rudyard Bay ... which is the exact route of the real ships on the Alaska cruises.  It would give folks a "feel" for what it is like. But a "hopping ship" and a captain that keeps yelling "don't sink" is disconcerting to say the least!

Also, (this to you or anybody else reading)... on the Gemini 94, you are "inside" looking out through obviously a "window" ... so the view is slightly hazed. Anyway to get rid of that darned haze?

D

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2011, 08:17:37 PM »
Doug,
     Ha ha ha, You got me laughing pretty good.  That is so funny!!  I think the static_pitch or static_height setting is off.  The "don't sink" guy is soooo annoying.  It is the "GPWS" (Ground proximity warning system) telling you to "Pull Up".  Map a key combo to turn it off.  I did that a long time ago.  Mine is "CTRL+SHIFT+1".  Some planes just won't shut up.  So I turn it off.  But the boat needs to be fixed, or disable the GPWS.  And the hopping around, too, suggests that the boat is not aligned correctly with the ground.
     A program called DXT1 Bitmap Manipulator (freeware) is what is needed to change the opacity/transparency of the window tint, I think.  It is a "must have" tool for anyone wanting to work with the texture files in fsx.
     I don't have "Freedom of the Seas", but I do have the Titanic, as a matter of fact!  I also have tall ships, submarines, The Queen Mary 2, an Orca Whale, a paddlewheel steamer, and the Deltasim tug, malibu, scirocco, Capricorn, and Maltese Falcon.  I probably missed a few, my collection is very large.  Don't get me started on flyers.  (about 300 of those, I think).  I also have a bald eagle, and a flock of geese.  Funny I never got an F-111 'til now.  I'll get the Freedom of the Seas and check it out.  Where did you get it from?
     Nevermind.  A quick google search, download button press, and viola, now I have the Freedom of the Seas, also.  I don't think that took 5 minutes.
     I am currently working on the tug.  I've gotten it to track at about 15 knots, but the engine needs adjusting, so it tops out at 18-25 knots.  I am close.  I had to step it up to 4X speed, just to see if it was actually tracking.  The Scirocco is being a booger, so I dropped it for the moment and decided to finish the tug instead.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:31:13 PM by jeff3163 »

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2011, 10:12:54 PM »
Tried to send you the zip here, but it timed out on me. So I sent it in an email for you.  "Driving" that thing gives you a very eery feeling.  It is BIG, it is SLOW and it RUNS OVER LITTLE BOATS without a SOUND!  You look ahead and realize that your turns have to be correct (or else).  I was coming down beside bold island ... egads what's that coming at me?  Dex strikes again, here comes the log barge. I had to stop to let it pass as we would have crossed paths ... crunch.  You are "high up" above the water on the bridge ... it gives you a feeling of "bigness" Hama did a heck of a job with this to "give such a feeling."  Not my favorite boat, but darn ... if you ever wondered what it "felt" like on the bridge of one of those things, you'll get the "feel" of it with this one.

I'm betting one of those texture files in the Gemini is "hazed" with that program you mentioned.  All it is is the full screen view window with a panel imposed on it. So If I can get to where they "hazed" it and take it out I'll be home free. I'll look into that program too.  Thank you.

d

archangel1

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »
The Smit Rotterdam is an impressive ship.  When I used to work part-time in a hobby shop, we had an R/C model of her on display for a while and even that was impressive.  However, when I was viewing DeltaSim's video on her, something kept bothering me.  She wallows, even when sitting still in a calm sea.  I can't quite decide whether it was the speed or the moment of the movement that was off-putting.  Is there a way to adjust that in the config file? Although I know enough to alter a file when instructed, there's no way I could look at one and say 'aha, just change these 2 numbers and bob's your uncle'.  (In my case, Bob actually was my uncle! ;) )
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2011, 01:52:55 AM »
Nevermind.  A quick google search, download button press, and viola, now I have the Freedom of the Seas, also.  I don't think that took 5 minutes.
Doug,
     Thanks for sending me one, but I was trying to tell you that in 5 minutes after reading your post, I too have one.  I have it installed, but since I was working on the tug, I haven't checked it out yet.  Yes, the Titanic and QM2 are BIG like that too.  They are "Hama's" too.  I'll see about that hazy window first chance I get.
     Archangel1, yes there is a way to fix the listing, as that is what I've been working on all day.  Well, not the listing particularly, but that is one aspect of the stability.  You can go into the aircraft.cfg file, in the [flight_tuning] section and look for the line "roll_stability=30.00".  <---This line is actually from the tugs aircraft.cfg file.  Change it to something like say . . . 30.00. :D  That should help.  But if it doesn't do it good enough, just increase the numbers until it is good to go.  Or wait a few days, and I'll have this one tuned up.  (I don't want to throw the configs out there too quickly.)  More testing to do.  Right now it travels at 13-15 knots@2500 rpm.  Full throttle will get you about 30-35 knots.  Autopilot is working at 15 knots, but I wouldn't take my eyes off the course.  The faster you go, the better it tracks. 
     The girl (on the Titanic) in this picture gives me the willies.  Like looking at a ghost.  The other picture is the sun setting on me, as I'm leaving Wrangell, working on the tugs autopilot.

edit- I just re-read your post, Doug.  The "Gemini" has a hazy window, not the Freedom of the Seas.  I was not thinking straight.  The zip I downloaded is named "fsx_ship_freedom-fof-the-seas2.zip", and the one you sent me is "fsxfrdms.zip".  I wonder if they are the same.  Mine has a "2".  That usually means it's an update or something.  I can check them both out. Duh!  It's been a long day, and I start a new work schedule tomorrow.  I'll be working 4 10-hour days a week, 6am to 4:30pm.  M-Th.  I should be in bed already.  G'nite y'all.

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:55:53 AM by jeff3163 »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2011, 12:32:23 AM »
     I was able to get another video to upload to Youtube.  It is the Smit-Rotterdam coming into Bell Island Hotsprings.  It was early in the autopilot project.  I made the video on March 20, 2011. 
     (The music starts 1 minute into the video.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw8Fqjq-ps0
(sorry to german members, it says the video is banned in Germany, because of the music.)  It is Donovan/Atlantis.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:46:54 AM by jeff3163 »

Dexthom

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2011, 07:09:09 AM »
If the music has a copyright, it gets banned in Germany.  My Misty Waters originally had a Titanic piece and
that was banned.  the only cure for that is to use music from FreePlay.com   :'(  I saw the Smit video.  When I get some time, I'll try a cruise.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2011, 09:09:06 AM »
I just thought I'd touch base with anyone following this thread.  I am still working on the autopilots for the boats.  My newest twist is the autopilot's "yaw damper gain".  Activating it has turned the whole project on it's side, again.  So I've started over at square one, but with the yaw damper activated.  I won't post any more configs until I've tweaked and tested them to my satisfaction.  The Malibu is turning much more quickly now, but there are other aspects of the manueverability that have to be worked out.  So have patience, and eventually I'll get it all sorted out and share my conclusions.  This applies to all the boats I am working on.  I suggest staying with the original configs for now, while you wait.  Thanks.

Zexe

« Reply #85 on: September 02, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »
Sorry to open a rusted can, but I am interested in these configurations.  I just bought the Malibu myself yesterday and thought it would be nice to have an AP function, and my quest to search for it lead me here.  I've tested out the initial batch:

gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,  0,262,156
gauge01=Beech_Baron!Nav GPS Switch, 2,267,20,20
gauge02=Fs9gps!gps_500,  0,132,157,130
gauge03=FDCT2!water_rudder,  2,245,20,20
gauge04=Cessna172!Airspeed,8,70,50,60
gauge05=Cessna172!Whiskey_Compass, 64,90,30,20
gauge06=Cessna!Heading_Indicator,    100,70,50,60

...however I don't quite understand how to get the ailerons and rudders working together and what type of effect it has on the boat. 

Anyways, I hope to one day cruise with you guys up North.  For now i am cruising down the Colorado River through Grand Canyon and also through Snake River in Idaho.  My other plan is to go down the Mississippi.  I'd love to join you guys on MP, however what is the server name and when do you guys plan on your next event?

Best,
Zexe ( Ze as in Zephyr, exe as in X)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
     Hi Zexe, sorry to have let my can get rusty.  I'm the one that does the autopilots on the boats.  I am here on the website every day.  I just got caught up in other things, as far as the autopilot goes.
     Anyway, I'd be happy to help.  The section you are referring to is a custom "navigation panel" that Doug Linn created for the boats.  Bring it up by press "shift+4" on your keyboard.  I have modified some to suit my personal taste, but he is the creator.  As far as the aileron/rudder system goes, I found that putting the "aileron_to_rudder_scale=" command line in the aircraft.cfg file's [airplane geometry] section switched control to the ailerons, rather than the rudders.  The effect is that the boat could be steered with the yoke, like a steering wheel instead of using your feet as in taxiing a plane.
     Do the config files work for you?  They work for me, but some have reported problems with tracking.  You can't use the autopilot for rivers.  It's best application is for covering large areas of open water, where you need to stay on course, automatically.  The malibu is my favorite boat.  Let me know how I can get you going.  Welcome to Misty Moorings. 8)

PS- Our MP sessions are hit and miss so far.  We've had some sessions, as you can see by the thread.  But lately, we've fallen off track.  I fly every Thursday evening, at 7pm Pacific with the "Midnight Aviation" guys, and on Sundays at 11am with a group at "Com-Central".  I, personally, would like to have a regular time set up at Misty's for us to get together, but being international, it's hard to accomodate everyone.  The server info should be in the Multiplayer thread.  We use the "Midav" server on thursday, and when I fly with com-central we use FSX's "gamespy" feature.  Misty's has a main server, which is down at the moment.  There is also a backup server, which I think is also down.  That's why we've been using the "Midav" server.  But since most people don't know that, there is only two of us that fly.  You can fly with us on Thursdays if you want to.  Yesterday we flew helicopters in the Grand Canyon.  A search and rescue scenario.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:37:32 PM by jeff3163 »

Zexe

« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  I live in Japan and went out to get some morning sushi and by the time I came back there was a reply from you!  What a pleasant surprise!  Anyways I just tested the "aileron_to_rudder_scale=1" and it works just fine and dandy.  I saw somewhere on this site a place where I can download the navigation panel, so I will take a look into that.  The original navi panel that you posted on this thread works for me, however GPS tracking didn't seem to work.  I'll experiment to see what works. 

Other boats that I've purchased, well I got the Gemini which.... I love, makes me feel RICH!!  Thanks for the invite for Thursday, I'll definitely join you guys.  I have TS 3, but I love using the FSX ingame radio freq.     Anyways, hope to see you guys out there! 

peace,
Zexe

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32:23 PM »
Ohio Goziymus Zexe, <--(I don't know how to spell that, but you know what I mean)
    Yes, about the GPS tracking.  That's why we added the "Nav/GPS" switch to the Nav panel.  So we could switch to GPS mode.  Here is a link to the panel:
 http://return.mistymoorings.com/moorings/maintenance/navstack/rttm_navstack.zip

That should get it to you.
                                          Saiyonara ;)

ps - we use Teamspeak 2 usually.

Zexe

« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
Cool, I found that link just earlier and put it to the test, then realized that if I have to cross the pacific on Autopilot, well, I don't think it'll happen.  I should keep my eyes on the water instead of watching youtube episodes of Becker.  Anyways, thanks!

I tested out the FShost client and tried to connect to 70.41.2.196: 23456, however no luck.  I opened my ports and all, but because I am using a wireless wireless router called Wimax, I'm having trouble, either that the servers are down.  My firewall is disabled and so I've done everything on my side to make sure things will work, but all has failed.  I will test it through FSX direct connect.

I hope I can figure this out by next Thursday! 

Ohayougozaimasu!

Zexe