Author Topic: Another suggestion  (Read 2281 times)

BBQSteve

Another suggestion
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:44:04 AM »
With all the scenery and updates being delivered, has anyone considered a utility like ORBX FTX Central to keep track of and automatically allow you to update scenery. Not sure of the level of difficulty, but this could also possibly alleviate some of the problems installing scenery correctly that some of our newcomers experience (and some of us old timers too!)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Another suggestion
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:33:52 AM »
FTX Central is very useful (when its working correctly) but Ben, who writes the code for it is apparently an IT pro who, I find, can't explain a problem or phrase that the common man can interpret (just my opinion)

If you have expertise in coding we could use the help for your suggestion.

While setting up RTMM might seem daunting to newbies at first once its set up properly its a matter of putting each extracted location into the 'mother' folder for RTMM scenery.  I personally don't care for the recommended name Misty Moorings so as I wrote earlier mine is named RTMM.  Just a personal preference.

8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 11:42:30 AM »
ORBX has 1/100 or less than the files that RTMM has. Do you have any idea of how difficult this would be to accomplish and keep current? This also wouldn't help install scenery, and no, we're not going to have automatic installers for reasons that have been discussed many times in the past. There are numerous posted installation guides, hints, screenshots and suggestions for RTMM scenery and here's just one of them: (Installing RTMM scenery is no different than manually installing any. no auto-installer, FSX/P3D scenery.)

http://return.mistymoorings.com/getting_started/index.php

And another, under "I"

http://return.mistymoorings.com/faq/

Here's another good post that shows how things should look like in a nutshell at post #4:

http://forum.mistymoorings.com/index.php?topic=3161.msg26914;boardseen#new

The best way to keep track of updates is to watch for Doug's NOTAMS and also keep a sharp eye on the forum announcements.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

BBQSteve

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »
Just to keep the record straight, I am not having any problem installing, but I know of and have read of many people who are having problems. No I am not a programmer and yes I too use RTMM as my root scenery name. Others obviously have chosen differently.

I do keep a very sharp eye out for updates, just thought perhaps it would be possible to create a console. Guess I once again rubbed somebody the wrong way.

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 11:56:13 PM »
I will say that the 'readme' files are woefully in need of a re-vamp. Discovered that on a total RTMM re-install. That would be a major project in itself. But, IMHO, we don't have sceneries that are updated often enough to require a utility like FTX Central. After the FSX/P3D compatibility conversion, and a lot of those were just adding weather socks and fuel docks, we are pretty much static. Other than that, minor changes are noted in the NOTAMS. Keep an eye out there. Works for me.

jsapair
Jsapair