Author Topic: Water Navigation in Service Pack II  (Read 5260 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Water Navigation in Service Pack II
« on: March 07, 2011, 08:37:02 AM »
Got a nice note from Holger this morning, I had mentioned to him the problem with the bridges ... he's looking into it.

But the great news for the boaters among us (all three of us?).  He has placed many navigational buoys and markers all over PFJ.  These are in exact placement with the real things so using "authentic" navigational charts will be possible ... the markers will be there just as they are on the charts! (He also sent me a link to the charts which we will eventually post).   This opens up a whole new world of navigation. We all enjoy the autopilot (and hopefully will have it working on the boats) ... but now we can also use the charts, set a heading to the next marker and go to it.  So this will be something new to learn how to do for many of us.

We are already making "flight plans" (sailing plans?) to dodge the islands and rocks. But to add real navigational waypoints opens up some new and realistic possibilities.

(If you wonder why people would want to get in a boat instead of a beaver .. check Jeff Greene's new video (on the Gallery page, under videos).  You'll get a good feel of the amazing scenery "up close" on both sides of your boat).

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Water Navigation in Service Pack II
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:16:16 PM »
I am very tempted by Hama's Riva. I am currently building a 36" scale model of one in wood with electric motors for RC.

But whoever said it - 90 Knots is very optimistic! The real thing is capable of 45 ish
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 05:01:21 PM »
I got it up to about 60 ... then when I looked in the back seat, I slowed down considerably.  Darned nice boat.

CAF440

• USCG DSF Lt. Dist 9
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
Hum, better warm my cutter at Kodiak and shove off for PFJ ;)

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »

But the great news for the boaters among us (all three of us?).  He has placed many navigational buoys and markers all over PFJ.  These are in exact placement with the real things so using "authentic" navigational charts will be possible ... the markers will be there just as they are on the charts!

Which is already the case for years in Misty Fjords and Tongass Fjords... also courtesy of Holger's tinkering.  ;)
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog