Author Topic: Add-ons Compatibility  (Read 9401 times)

archangel1

Add-ons Compatibility
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:36:49 AM »
I'm guessing this is the right place to ask this question so here goes.  Has anyone ever sat down to figure out what works with what in FSX, in general and MM, specifically? Obviously, ORBX sceneries work with FSAddon's Vancouver+ and Tongass Fjords; apparently REX and FEX will fit in with no problem and I believe UT is useable as well.  (Really must set up a chart of these acronyms.  I'm losing track!) What about something like the old FSGenesis FSX terrain mesh, though? Would using it screw something up? Anything else I should consider before installing the sim on my (eventual) new system?

Thanks,
Mike
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

aeugli

Re: Add-ons Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:36:17 AM »
Hi Mike,

go here   

* FTX (Full Terrain Experience) Community and Support Forums »
    * Orbx Support Forums »
    * FTX Compatibility Forum »
    * Pacific Fjords (PFJ) compatibility pointers master list

http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=28335.0

You have to log in at first!

Cheers Rainer

Rainer

i7-3770K@4.5G|Intel DZ77GA-70K PCIe 3.0|Noctua NH-D14|Mushkin Redline 8GB@2133 PC3-17000 CL9 |Gigabyte GTX 680 OC|301.42 WHQL|4xSamsung SSD 830 256GB|1x VelociRaptor 1TB|Asus Xonar 2DX|Teufel 5.1 Soundsystem|Seasonic Platinum 1000W|Lian Li PC-V212 | HP ZR2440|3xFujitsu P-23T 3D

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:53:13 AM »
Basically, RTMM "needs" Pacific Fjords from Eftee eggs or Orbicks (or however those acronyms go ;) )

But of course, that addon is a "must have" for scenery devotees anyway.

Anyway, if you go here to our "Front Page" the Misty "needs" are also described
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:04:34 AM »
Chris ... Maybe we should expand what is on the front page back in the FAQ section. Because we also now have the lights, the X "files" from Xavier, Rwy 12 ... none of these are mentioned on the front page.  I'm thinking of putting a "for what's needed, click here" on the front page and have it go to a FAQ where we can list the things folks will need.  That would save us some room on the front page and expand our information for folks at the same time.  We could put links to what folks would need there. With permissions, we could easily "host" the lights and X files on our site.  I think this brings up a good point we should chat about.

(... and for those looking at this thread ... don't forget, this is YOUR site too.  Ideas like this are important to us as we grow.  We can't do everything for everybody, but there's no reason why we can't try to make things better.  So ideas are welcome).

archangel1

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
I just took a quick look via simMarket for an illustration of this 'problem'.  ORBX, MegaSceneryUSA, MegaSceneryEarth and, as mentioned, my old FSGenesis, all do scenery/meshes/landclass/whatever for Washington State/PNW.  Do they all work together? Do MegaScenery's own products even work together or are they mutually exclusive? Surely there must be some conflict somewhere and, I know, don't call you Shirley.  ;)

Mike
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
I should think that as long as the ORBx is on top of that other stuff in the scenery library you should not get too much problem, but really you need to check the thread linked to the ORBx foirums as it specifically deals with ORBx compatibility issues.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:36:25 PM »
In my comment, I wasn't looking as much at compat with other programs, I was more looking at what folks need to have just to run RTTM.  I don't think I'll get into the other stuff, beyond our scope here. But people should know what they are going to need to run what we have here.

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
Well, meshes like FSGenesis and FS Global (I currently use global although I used to have genesis) sit just above the FSX basic scenery in the library, so they are over-ridden by sceneries which bring their owwn meshes along (Holger Sandmann's excellent stuff and the OrbX stuff)

In priorities in the scenery library you should have:

Misty Moorings stuff                           (smallest priority number values = highest priority in library)

Any sceneries that belong above the OrbX stuff (newer FTX airports etc. KORS, WA79 etc...)

OrbX sceneries

Any other scenery addons

FSGenesis / FSGlobal / Taburet meshes etc

FS default scenery stuff                       (highest priority number values = lowest priority in library)

And Misty shouldn't adversely affect any other scenery at all that way. The only poor results you will notice will be if you don't have the OrbX / FTX stuff and the various EZ Scenery and OzX object libraries. The only troubles I have had with Misty stuff have been self-inflicted own goals.
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:53:42 AM »
My scenery files are set up just as Chris describes and I have NO problems with things showing up or any conflicts.

Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit