Author Topic: AVSIM has a new look  (Read 5598 times)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
AVSIM has a new look
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:53:24 PM »
Went for my usual first thing in the morning look at what new files they had on AVSIM.  Now I do not visit there forums much, if ever, so it was a complete surprise when the entire thing had changed to a new program.  Being a GOF I was more than slightly PO'd when it took about 15 min. to figure out how to get on the library with more than one download showing at a time.  I know that newer is better and ya have to stay ahead of the spammers, and hackers but I sure hate it when all your gooder n' dirt stuff goes over the hill without a "by you leave sir".  That is the third website I visit regularly that has completely changed software and looks in the past 7-8 days.  Geeze! don't know if I can take much more of this damn tomfoolery!@
 8)
Later,

Spud

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: AVSIM has a new look
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:09:10 PM »
[Doug thinking ... well we ain't changin'  no way I'd go through THIS again! :-)]

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:46:52 AM »
I was as surprised last night too... I thought at first they'd been hacked again. Took me as long to find things too. All this "Keeping up with the Joneses" is bad for our health.

Oh well.
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

alexf

• My photogallery
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:24:28 AM »
I had read their announcement beforehand so I knew it would be different. It does look more modern. Do I like it? Not sure, not yet. It takes getting used to.

As all of us I were comfortable with their previous layout. I disliked their search function which found nothing half the time. Will have to test if they improved the library search.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:54:36 AM »
The search function, for me, SUKS bigtime.  Unless I missed it, you can not look at just FSX files any longer, you have to wade through everything.  Also today they show a version 2.0 of the Unalakleet airport with the beacon fixed etc.  But when I tried to download it kept getting an error message from AVSIM saying the could not change to that server and the file did not exist.  Finally got it from Flighsim.  So far I'm underwhelmed by the changes made in the name of progress.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Leorstef

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:58:01 AM »
Like its been echo'd all over FS forums...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"  :o

I agree.  I really liked having the FSX files color coded and being able to scan quickly through them.  :'(

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
The search function, for me, SUKS bigtime.  Unless I missed it, you can not look at just FSX files any longer, you have to wade through everything.  Also today they show a version 2.0 of the Unalakleet airport with the beacon fixed etc.  But when I tried to download it kept getting an error message from AVSIM saying the could not change to that server and the file did not exist.  Finally got it from Flighsim.  So far I'm underwhelmed by the changes made in the name of progress.
 8)

Erm, you can browse for the whole category of each versions files, much better than before, go to Files, Browse files, select FSX all files or FSX gauges or whatever FSX category you wish, you will then be presented with a series of pages with about 30 items per page, much better than the 6 or 7 you got previously. I think it's a lot better.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
Thanks for that Kim,
After slogging around trying to figure out the new site I just was happy to see more than one file so I figured that AVSIM wanted it that way but I'll try you advice and maybe it will only SUK a little time.  I know that with advanced age we do not like change, me included, but I'll do it.  Kicking and Screaming all the way but ......
 8)
Later,

Spud

Leorstef

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 02:17:25 PM »
You've always been able to filter per versions files.
You could set it to scan and show more than 6.  ;)

Unfortunately there isn't a filter like that for the new files, so you have to pick through each selection despite it's version, currently.
Before you could simply set to scan, and look for the corresponding color code for each FS version.
The 'spreadsheet' was a much more efficient method, IMHO.

I'm sure, given a few years, we'll all get used to it....  ;D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:28:04 PM by Leorstef »

Leorstef

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 01:33:22 AM »
I hadn't been back to AVSim since the change.
Tonight I went looking for a file, and was very pleasantly surprised to see AVSim back to it's original layout, including file library.
Glad to see they decided to not re-invent the wheel after all.  ;D

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 04:07:25 AM »
They will, but it will take more time to do it 'right'. Avsim is very dated by now and may look okay, but it will be increasingly harder to maintain;-)
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
They will, but it will take more time to do it 'right'. Avsim is very dated by now and may look okay, but it will be increasingly harder to maintain;-)

Thanks for this information, Francois

Some days ago I noticed the change to their old design, too.
I hoped they would remove their plans on a new website. I didn`t like this new one.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals