Author Topic: Elevation problem at Tongass airports  (Read 4626 times)

Mikelab6

Elevation problem at Tongass airports
« on: May 03, 2016, 01:09:50 AM »
Hi all,

Just installed Tongass in P3Dv3.2.  Scenery looks good but I have elevation problems at airports.
I have ORBX FTX-NA, Global Base, Global Vector, OLC Canada installed.  Tried running FTX-NA or Global, AEC disabled, enabled and still having elevation problem at airports (ex: PASI or PAFE).  By example, at PAFE, I see two runways one over the other and other elevation problems located at taxiway and airport. Also tried to change insertion point of Tongass. For now both Tongass are  above FTX-OLC and below FTX in scenery lib.   Any ideas ?

Thanks !

Mike

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
Re: Elevation problem at Tongass airports
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:28:42 AM »
Make sure your terrain is set to 5 and not at max which is 7.

Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:35:10 AM »
A screenshot would help us to see exactly what you are seeing.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Mikelab6

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:49:19 PM »
Terrain is set to 5

Here is what I see

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:36:01 PM »
Whenever I see an airport like that, I shut down the sim, then open the FTX Global/Vector configurator.  Click on the airport elevation correction tab, and do a manual search for the ICAO of the airport.  First in the "enabled for" side, then the other.  Whichever side it is found on, switch it to the other side.  If enabled, disable it.  If disabled, enable it.  Be sure to click "Apply" before exiting.  Restart the sim, and check the airport.

EDIT:  I see you've already done this.  Back to pondering then ...
Are you saying that you switched the elevation state, and nothing changed?  Or it was different, but still not right?

Have you tried a repair of TFX, using its' config panel?  Are your Orbx/Vector entries way down near the bottom of your scenery config list?  Just above the default continents.  Eg. South America, Oceania, Western North America, etc.  For me that's around entry number #467 in my SC list.  Well below TFX and the OLC entries at #400 and #431.
(your numbers will be different, of course.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:17:38 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Mikelab6

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 01:27:45 AM »
Hi Jeff and thank you very munch for your time !

I did try to enable or disable AEC without good result. I also tried it with FTX-North America enabled or FTX Global.
When AEC is disabled I see 2 runways one over the other and the plane position is on the upper one.
When AEC is enabled, I also see 2 runways one over the other and the plane is on the lower one (sinked under the upper one)
By the way, what setting must be my FTX Central with Tongass ?  Tried repair without any luck.  My ORBX Vector entries is way down near the bottom as you said.

I installed Tongass with FTX Central set to Global, perhaps I will try to uninstall it and reinstall it with FTX Central set to North America...Do you think it will make any difference ?
The way I installed Tongass in my P3Dv3, was with a fake FSX.exe in P3Dv3 folder and after that copied/pasted the 40 entries in my terrain.cfg file. Is something missing ?  Scenery looks goods and all items are diplayed. Only problem are my elevation airports.

xxd09

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 05:03:11 AM »
Hi mikelab6
I note that Tongass Fiords is not a P3Dv3.2 compatible product yet.
I have asked Bill Womack if P3D installers will ever will be made and he is thinking about it!
What way did you use to install it? E.M.T and / or Holgers files.
I am too much of a technophobe to tackle its install  in P3Dv3.2 and miss it!
Not having it in place is an awful gap in PNW Scenery.
Perhaps a concerted "shout" to Bill and Holger is the way ahead?
xxd09

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:35:09 AM »
That is very strange that there are two runways in either position of the vector elevation.  All I can think is to do a system search for the ICAO of the airport and see what files are at play here.   :-\

I have, in the past, found two entries in my scenery library for TFX.  The install puts the entries at the top, then you move them down.  I had entries in the correct position, and also at the top.  Check to make sure you don't have this condition.   :-\
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:09:45 AM by jeff3163 »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
I believe there is a break down in terms in this thread.  Jeff's post points out how to "Enable or Disable" airports using the FTX Vector CONFIGURATOR.  Disabling AEC in the Scenery Library is not the same as enabling or disabling an airport with the CONFIGURATOR.
In addition as xxd09 points out FTX VECTOR is not P3D v3.2 compatible at this time.

Although I don't use P3D and do not know if library 'order' makes a difference, in FSX the VECTOR files (5) are placed is a specific location and order by the VECTOR installer and the manual warns against changing the order.
 8)
Later,

Spud

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 08:07:03 PM »
Last time I had that problem I had to switch between Global, Global Hybrid, and NA several times b4 it actually switched. It was like it was hung up or something. That's what it was in the long run, though.
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 08:12:35 PM »
I installed Tongass with FTX Central set to Global, perhaps I will try to uninstall it and reinstall it with FTX Central set to North America...Do you think it will make any difference ?

Hi Mike,
Yes, try this please. 

-------------------- ???
     Vector is not compatible with P3D? ???  I don't remember hearing that before.  I use it, and it works. (ignorance is bliss, or something)

(... so I google'd it)  Orbx says it IS compatible.  Scroll down to "ftx global product range"  on this page.  Click the link:  https://www.fullterrain.com/sim/P3Dv3
--------------------------
     Library order in either sim is very important.  As I've explained before, the sim is like a cake.  The world is the base layer, those are at the bottom.  (default scenery)  Then landclass next, to define the skin.  Vector roads, rivers, etc. go next, on top of the land classes.  Finally, scenery is applied on top.  Anything below is overwritten by the higher entries (if new data is introduced for an area). 
-----------------
I just thought I'd take a look at my elevation at PASI.  This is what mine looks like-
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:11:07 AM by jeff3163 »

Mikelab6

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 01:55:25 AM »
OK I've found the solution !!  Problem solved !!  Vector is not the culprit.. :)

The problem is : If you have or had a FSX installation and you try to install Tongass into P3D, some of the Tongass files will not be installed, so I had to copy/paste all missing files from FSX folders to P3D folders. 

I've found this behavior after reading this on FsAddon forum : http://fssupport.com/fsaddonforum/index.php?topic=42.0

To solve the problem, we need to know what files are missing, so I've found another post on FsAddon : http://fssupport.com/fsaddonforum/index.php?topic=59.0

Also, on this post ; http://fssupport.com/fsaddonforum/index.php?topic=34.0
Holger Sandmann is explaining the process to install Tongass into P3D and he provide a list of all files installed by Tongass (you need to be registered to download the list).  With that list on hand, I was able to find all missing files.

Elevation problems were fixed by adding all elevation files missing into  \Scenery\World\scenery:
AF2_FSX_TF_CAB5_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_CBM5_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_CBW4_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PAFE_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PAKW_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PAPG_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PASI_elevation_adjustment.BGL
AF2_FSX_TF_PAWG_elevation_adjustment.BGL

I've also found many other files missing (Effects, Sound, AI ships, AI aircrafts).  We also have to add the 40 entries as per Holger instructions.

I think if you don't have or had a FSX installation (FSX or FSX-SE), Tongass will install all the files.

Thanks for your help !!  Hope this will help someone else !!  Happy flying !
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 02:00:52 AM by Mikelab6 »

xxd09

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 04:37:56 AM »
Hi Mikelab66
Apologies-I misread your post re installation of Tongass
You used the fake FSX way etc etc
However you did clarify my other point that technophobes are going to have a struggle.
P3D installers would be nice-I live in hope!
xxd09

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 07:26:19 AM »
Hi Mike,
     Great.  Also, thanks for sharing the solution.  8)  It will come in handy if someone else has this issue.   :)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:01:23 AM »
Jeff,
my bad on VECTOR compatibility with P3D.  I thought the ORBX installers would give a P3D option if the product was compatible.  Although I had to re-download all my ORBX payware apparently the new installers do not show an option for P3D IF you do not have that sim installed.
The old multi-installers used to list all the sims and you picked the one you use.  I guess, like M$, ORBX is trying to "take care of us" by only showing what they think we need to know.   ???
 8)
Later,

Spud