Author Topic: Misty's place is deep in the woods  (Read 7354 times)

woofgang

Misty's place is deep in the woods
« on: April 19, 2016, 06:49:47 PM »
Hi all!  A way to introduce myself right? I start with a question... What an amazing site. My thanks to the many people who have created all of this! Today I went through the Getting Started guide step by step. I placed all the files in FSX Steam and checked everything with the scenery objects folder - everything is there. Then I added Misty's Place to the Addon Scenery folder inside of a folder called 'Misty Moorings' . Went to the little airfield - it is a beaut, all looks well, but...no water. No water anywhere close by as best I can tell. Any thoughts on what I am missing? Thanks!

Jim

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Misty's place is deep in the woods
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 07:38:17 PM »
Hi Jim,
     Welcome to RTMM, and the forum.  Have you installed Tongass Fjords X?  If so, please make sure the entries for it in the scenery library are BELOW all of the FTX entries.  There are two entries, a high and a low priority.  Place the high above the low, and both should be below the Orbx FTX entries.  Let us know if that fixes it for you.  ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

woofgang

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:22:34 PM »
Yes, I did install Tongass, and the high and low do sit below the ORBX files. Still no water.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 10:02:35 PM »
It sounds like your "terrain.cfg" file is corrupt.  Follow this link:  http://return.mistymoorings.com/faq/#t  ;)

Scroll down to the section called "Terrain Problem - Trees in Water - Tongass X"

Also, do a search on the forum for Tongass Fjords Trees in water, to read about other people's resolutions to this issue.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:27:46 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

woofgang

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:48:06 AM »
Well here is where it stands: I looked at the Tongass water fix which involved adding the terrain cfg files, but I already had those 40 entries in the FSX terrain cfg file. Searching the forums I came upon the fix to leave the ice textures as originally installed, so I removed the updated cfg entries. Unfortunately I still have no water around Misty's place.   ???

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »
Is the water missing everywhere in the world of FSX?
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

woofgang

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 02:47:02 PM »
Wow....glad you suggested that. No, I see no water in any of the ORBX sceneries (Southern Alaska, Pacific, or Pacific Northwest) either. I do have water in Boston however.  Very strange indeed. Global warming is upon us.   ;)

woofgang

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 04:26:36 PM »
Still floundering here...could it possibly be my install of Tongass?

woofgang

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 05:04:28 PM »
Nope, uninstalled and reinstalled Tongass - same issue. I hope all the money spent on ORBX and Tongass didn't just go down the drain, but it is starting to look like it. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 05:54:32 PM »
You definitely have a corrupt terrain.cfg. I don't know how to tell you how to fix it. Maybe Jeff knows. (This happened to me once and I was able to pull a working one out of a backup set.)
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2016, 08:13:16 PM »
     Have you tried doing a "repair" of TFX, using it's configuration panel?  Otherwise, I suggest following Holger's instructions for manually editing your terrain.cfg file.  Make sure the entries are correctly numbered, and there are no duplicate entries, etc.  Make sure the number on the "DefaultTextureCount=" line is correct.   

Just to be clear, what sim are we talking about?  FSX?  FSX-SE?   :-\

We will get it working for you.  Don't give up hope.  Thousands of people are using TFX and Orbx with no problems.  It's just a matter of getting the configurations correct. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:21:43 PM by jeff3163 »

woofgang

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 02:04:14 PM »
Again, thanks for the help guys!  I am running FSX-SE.  I did run the repair of TFX, but alas Misty's place is still dry as a bone, as is the rest of the coast as far as I can see (the ORBX scenery).  I think I do have the correct terrain.cfg entries, but I shall manually edit those today.

Onward and upward!  Or whatever he said.... :)

woofgang

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
Ok, this is strange. As I begin to edit the terrain.cfg entries, I noticed on the Tongass X Terrain Problem page the view of Wrangell (PAWG) showing the trees in the water and the terrain fixed. So I went to PAWG and what the hey - it has the water in the correct place. But then I go back to Misty's little place and there is no water?!  :o

woofgang

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »
Holger's fix did not work - although I may be doing it wrong. The terrain.cfg file already had the 40 Tongass files. I still went ahead and added the files from his download and renumbered, leaving the previous Tongass files there also. Does this make sense?

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »
Hmmm, having water at Wrangell suggests to me that this problem is not the same as the Tongass Fjords X trees in water problem.  I don't have experience with the steam edition of FSX, but someone else on here may be able to help.  I am in P3Dv3.2. 

I would say it is a bad idea to have two sets of the Tongass Fjords X entries in your terrain.cfg file.  There should only be one.

Are your RTMM sceneries and libraries above Orbx in your scenery library?   ???
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:43:46 PM by jeff3163 »