Author Topic: Found a couple uncharted strips with cabins...  (Read 1763 times)

Stearmandriver

Found a couple uncharted strips with cabins...
« on: March 22, 2016, 04:52:52 AM »
Hi all,

So I was flying one of the Alaska Adventures tour flights tonight, taking a DC3 from Yakutat to Wood Lake research center.  I decided since the weather was decent, instead of using the AKA route, I'd stay low and just run down the coast to Cape Spencer and follow the water in to the northeast, then pick up the valley into PAWL.  Figured I'd get some great views and I did...  Harlequin Lake and the Yakutat glacier, down over Dry Bay, past the Grand Plateau and Fairweather glaciers, over the La Perouse glacier, great shot of Mt. Fairweather, then left past the Brady glacier and on in.  Great fun.  (Wood Lake is awesome scenery btw.)

Anyway, over the southeast corner of Dry bay, I found a couple uncharted dirt strips with cabins / buildings.  There are quite a few strips and cabins near there, but these don't appear on a sectional or on the RTTM Google Earth kml.  (Actually the cabins are on a sectional, but not the strips).  The strips look to exist in real life though, if you zoom into google earth on these coordinates you'll see them both:
N59 5.989 W138 25.173

They're modeled very true to life in the scenery; ORBX continues to amaze me... 

Anyway, if someone was looking for more unmarked but existing strips to play with ala "Navmans retreat", these might be fun.  Scenic flight out from Juneau, Gustavus, Wood lake, or down from Yak.  Not that I'm meaning to put you guys to work or anything   ;) ... just throwing these out there in case no one's noticed them before.

Dieter

Re: Found a couple uncharted strips with cabins...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:52:21 AM »
These two dirtstrips are
- East Alsek River  West
- East Alsek River East
and are part of Orbx/SAK.

Using my PlanG file "SAK.csv" will show you all of the unlisted strip in this area.
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Stearmandriver

Re: Found a couple uncharted strips with cabins...
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:42:05 AM »
Ah, neat, I didn't know about that file.  Nice job putting it all together.  I still can't believe how accurately ORBX modeled all this...