Author Topic: Over the shoulders again  (Read 8248 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Over the shoulders again
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
Guess.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Over the shoulders again
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:58:39 AM »
C208?

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:09:43 PM »
Yep, default. I "flew" this forthe first time this week. Everyone has it, but it deserves better treatment. I do like the MS basic default paints, but we can do better. This time I am going for new lines, rivets and bump maps as well.
All the best,

Magnum Beaver

• Certified Turboprop Nut!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
Surprisingly to a lot of people, the Cessna 208 is a quitessential "modern" Bush Plane... a great deal of Charter Operators in Alaska use it, as well as Hageland Aviation (oh, I guess it's Era Alaska now) using it in Mainline Duty...   the stock Grand Caravan has a 1900 ft takeoff roll, and it sits high enough off the ground that prop strikes on gravel strips are nearly unheard of.. the Cessna 208 Caravan 1 (now marketed as the Cessna 675 due to the 675 horsepower PT6A) has the option of operating on floats, while the Grand Caravan is just too heavy for the PT6 powerplant to be able to use floats.. The most noticable Charter operator in Alaska using the 208/675 Floatplane is Rusts' Flying Service..  There are also a huge (and growing) number of Canadian bush operators using the Caravan, as well as a number of operators in sub-Saharan Africa..
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving isn't such a good idea!
Turboprop + Floats = Awesome Fishing!

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:51:53 AM »
Surprisingly to a lot of people, the Cessna 208 is a quitessential "modern" Bush Plane...

I know it was a slip of the finger and I am no better, but that typp must count as a newly coined phrase. The sheer enormity of the thought that something could be QUITessential appeals to my base sense of humour. And especially with your signature phrase...

It all fits now!!
All the best,

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 03:10:38 AM »
Let's just get serious again... ;)

One of the things I often say is that despite limitations, the ACES team produced some excellent basic aircraft textures for us painters to work with. They showed the way with specs and bumps and even mapping external placards to larger portions of the texture sheet. This is what they did with the Caravan...

The above screenie shows a portion of the texture sheet I am working on and as you will see from the following pictures, that ACES mapping puts those detail areas onto the outside of the aircraft very nicely thanks.

You will even notice that the CESSNA brand logo is right way round on both sides.

And then, on the rear, right passenger door, where the airstairs fold out you see there are two mirror mapped placards. The "warning" one I can deal with as it is only used once so I will simply flip it on my masters. But they use the door handle image map on both sides, so if I revers the master, then all the others will be bassackwards and this one right.

So please, when you eventually board your pax on the Misty Caravan, give them a mirror.

And if you have been watching, then you'll notice that although ACES did reverse the door handle instructions for the co-pilots door, they forgot that the handle movement is now wrong on the pictogram.

I miss many things due to not paying attention, on this I agree, but when it comes to seeing what OTHER people have fluffed up, then I think we're all the same - we have diffuculty in seeing our own misteaks ;) but take a great deal of schadenfreude in pointing out everyone else's.

So there's todays pat on the back for ACES on the one hand and a slap in the face with a wet herring on the other...

All the best,

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 01:38:42 PM »
I just threw a splash of paint on it to see...

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]
All the best,

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
[Doug is thinking .. what Chris calls a splash is what I would call art!]

Magnum Beaver

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »
Looks great!   

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »
This one could take a day or two. There' lots of bits getting the treatment - take a look at the airstairs. I'm actually quite pleased with ACES' modelling on this one. A bit hiccoughy on some things, but all in all a good model.

On the other hand, de-chroming the spinner is taking some work...

All the best,

Magnum Beaver

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
ROFL!! just noticed the text on the cargo pod!!  ;D

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

CAF440

• USCG DSF Lt. Dist 9
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
Surprisingly to a lot of people, the Cessna 208 is a quitessential "modern" Bush Plane... a great deal of Charter Operators in Alaska use it, as well as Hageland Aviation (oh, I guess it's Era Alaska now) using it in Mainline Duty...   the stock Grand Caravan has a 1900 ft takeoff roll, and it sits high enough off the ground that prop strikes on gravel strips are nearly unheard of.. the Cessna 208 Caravan 1 (now marketed as the Cessna 675 due to the 675 horsepower PT6A) has the option of operating on floats, while the Grand Caravan is just too heavy for the PT6 powerplant to be able to use floats.. The most noticable Charter operator in Alaska using the 208/675 Floatplane is Rusts' Flying Service..  There are also a huge (and growing) number of Canadian bush operators using the Caravan, as well as a number of operators in sub-Saharan Africa..

Yep our largest operator in territorial Canada is Air Tindi. They operate the largest fleet of C208's in any configurations and also have a large Twotter Fleet and C185's and DHC7's. Just recenlty they got there mitts on a couple 1900D's.

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 02:59:29 PM »
Amazing!! I really like this paint scheme!
What is the phonenumber for ordering the pizza`s! Im hungry!!!! ;D

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 04:11:16 PM »
All these abbreviations have me confused sometimes. I thought MP was for Misty's Pizza, that's why I had the idea... here's a mix of w-i-p to show how she looks already (there is still MUCH to do, although she has been re-rivetted and panel lined). So far only outside textures are being touched.

If you look at the one screenshot, you will see that I am considering reducing my praise of the ACES team for their work some more. The hatches for the pod are a: not placed logically on the texture from front to rear and b: hatch #2 is mirrored. I mean... how frustrating is that? And then the texture map over the rear left freight door is not scaled the same as the fuselage. Aaarrggghhh!

But she's been equipped with LED nav and strobe lights (for those who have shockwave lights) and she's beginning to look the job.

Oh... one more thing... MS ACES team may have been great at artwork, but engineers they are not. Perhaps they could tell us where to get five-sided spanner sets from? See the wheel close up!

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]

All the best,

Magnum Beaver

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
awesome work Chris..

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho