Author Topic: Misty's Place grass makes the aircraft crash  (Read 3423 times)

simurq

Misty's Place grass makes the aircraft crash
« on: December 17, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Well, I've chosen MP as my "permanent" location for the next couple of months. Just love being there, the environment around Ketchikan is fabulous... Period.

The only problem is when I take Bob for a walk, or can't align the aircraft properly on the runway during the takeoff roll. I just crash as soon as it touches the grass.

I know, I can disable crashes in the Realism settings. But it's not what I really want to do each time reenabling crashes from the menu  once in the air.

Is it possible to somehow remove crashboxes from the grass with any scenery tools available? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:33:38 AM by simurq »
Vüqar "Rustam" Quliyev

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Misty's Place grass makes the aircraft crash
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
Sorry, crash detection off is the required setting for all RTMM scenery. It would be a massive and unrealistic job to remove it from every object or even just the grasses.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

simurq

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »
No problem, Steve, can live without that... :) I just didn't imagine it would require massive workload... Thanks a lot!
Vüqar "Rustam" Quliyev

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:28:03 AM »
Also,

Those boxes are hardcoded to each object and I have no idea how we'd ever be able to remove them TBH.

Yeah, only option is to turn crash detection to "Off".

Brad

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 01:33:41 PM »
In theory it could be done but would take 2 lifetimes to do.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Dieter

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 04:27:53 AM »
Mike Broemme answered to this problem:

Rustam's question:
"Is it possible to somehow remove crashboxes from the grass with any scenery tools available?"
I agree it's a lot of work! As Steve already pointed out:
It would be a massive and unrealistic job to remove it from every object or even just the grasses.
- Even Orbx recommends to switch off "crash detection" -

But to answer your question: Yes, it's basically possible to do a subsequent adjustment  but  some developer knowledge is necessary!

The objects' properties (in this case grass objects) are not hardcoded a priori. The property is set when the object is placed into the scenery.
I'm using  "Whisplacer" and there is an appropriate box available (see screenshot). I don't know about "Instant Scenery" 

Even if this function is not available in IS3 you can go like this:
- convert the bgl-file into an xml-file. Here is an example how it might look like:

<SceneryObject
      lat="55.2632612362504"
      lon="-131.771934628487"
      alt="0.0F"
      altitudeIsAgl="TRUE"
      pitch="0"
      bank="0"
      heading="202.999877929688"
      imageComplexity="NORMAL">
      <NoAutogenSuppression/>
<NoCrash/>
      <LibraryObject
         name="{ec7cafab-1171-3eb1-51c4-6359785b6b9c}"
         scale="0.65043"
         />
   </SceneryObject>

Open the xml-file with an editor and insert  <NoCrash/>
See my exampel in red, the object's crash code is off now.
Save the file and convert it back into a bgl file.

There are freeware tools available (BGL to XML/XML to BGL)

But, to do so, it's no easy job and as Steve pointed out:
In theory it could be done but would take 2 lifetimes to do.
and it's not meant for the normal flightsimmer.

signed: Mike Broemme
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 04:33:33 AM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 03:03:32 PM »
Can also be done - one object at a time - using MCX. Easier to do than hand editing the xml code, but still completely impractical to do to the 9,000 + objects in our libraries.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Kento

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 11:45:31 AM »
I'm new here and just got my scenery all set up yesterday and ran into this issue. While I get it would be impractical to change all the objects, why would grass ever be considered a crash zone?  Seems like I taxi all over grass at various airports without difficulty.

Thanks for all this great work and to any further insight you can offer on this issue.

Kento

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 02:54:33 PM »
Each object has a box that is unseen by users in the scenery, but in Instant Scenery or other placement tools, it shows the object area box or whatever it's actually called, that surrounds the object. When I try to place grasses alongside a airstrip, I try to align the grasses so they don't impinge on the airstrip area too much, but sometimes little corners might sneak out onto the dirt or gravel and you may be hitting one of them.

If you're drifting over into the sides of the airstrip and even off the side, then all bets are off. You'll probably come into contact with an object box. If you have "Crash Detection On" then you'll crash. That's why we recommend selecting "Crash Detection Off". Then you won't crash if you hit a grass or tree box that sticks out too close to the airstrip.

Brad

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 08:48:58 AM »
Just to add to Brad's explanation about 'crash boxes' and you being able to taxi all over the grass at "various airports".  Those airports are only using default FSX textures for the grass.  Scenery like Misty's Place has 'enhanced grass textures which allow things like tufts of grass, weeds, flowers etc. to be in the scenery.  That requires that these things be 'placed in the scenery' with the result that the crash box is there, no way around that.
Crash detection should be turned off unless your using stone stock FSX scenery.  Almost any addon scenery will have 'crash problems' due to the way the program and scenery interact.
 8)
Later,

Spud