Author Topic: Sailing to Mistys  (Read 14586 times)

Magnum Beaver

• Certified Turboprop Nut!
Re: Sailing to Mistys
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 10:44:23 PM »
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving isn't such a good idea!
Turboprop + Floats = Awesome Fishing!

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 04:26:10 AM »
Hey, really nice picturrs here on this thread from all you guys!!! 8)
Some days ago I downloaded the freeware scirocco GTX2 Yacht but haventĀ“t tried a ride with it so far.
Seems I have to do this now. ;)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 05:12:13 AM »
I copied my boat file to the airplane directory, then made it an airplane, instead of a ship, in the aircraft.cfg file.  (ui_type=airplane) I also appended a "-1" to the title (title=QM-2-1) to aviod the duplicate aircraft message.  Now my cruise ship does steer a course with the autopilot, and follows the gps route.  When you go to the aircraft selection screen, you will now have two versions of your boat, one labeled airplane.  Choose that one and see if you get the same result as me.  Be sure the autopilot systems are all there in the aircraft.cfg file, and radio and gps panels in the panel.cfg.  I found that I was also able to use the rudder pedals while in NAV mode (to avoid an island that was in my way), but when left to its own, would steer back into line.  I've tested it twice now with success, but only with the QMII.  I'll work on setting up the sailboat with an autopilot, and test that next. 

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:25:14 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Magnum Beaver

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 07:37:26 AM »
okay... I think I'm on to something thanks to corbu... I just couldn't leave it alone, lol... there is one way to get the autopilot to work and I'm testing it... been up all night tweaking, but hopefully it proves a viable solution...

I think the method will involve spoilerons... create drag on a given side to turn the boat, rather than rely on bank...

I might just have a crappy boat for this, as the boat doesn't like to turn worth a hill of beans at anything less than 40 kts, and then it takes a long ways to turn, so testing waypoint turns is proving difficult...  but I will keep trying...

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
The boat turning is tricky ... it slides like an airboat, so just a "touch" to change it at higher speeds. Tonight I ran about 80 miles up the Nass Inlet up the Nass river to Mesidian Lake ... got all the way to the campground there. Other than one bridge (that I pointed out in an email to Holger), there are NO obstructions ... it's narrow here and there, but an amazing ride. I couldn't believe how the river "changed" as I went up it ... from big mountains both sides, to narrow in a woods, to open in a flat area. The landclass changed too with rocky areas, grassy ,etc.  You really are "there" when you do this. 

One thing I did learn tonight. Forget the GPS and PLAN-G (they use the same terrain map).  These simply are not accurate enough for navigating a narrow waterway. Best way is to be outside/spot plane view ... above the boat enough to see ahead (there are islands and rocks, so you have to be careful.  But when you are in that view, hit "A" three times and you go to a top down. Use plus/minus to get the perspective you want. Can see the curves, islands, shoals and narrow parts coming ahead and can slow down to navigate them.  Again, don't trust the gps ... it is flat wrong. 

What an amazing new way to use this. And again, without PFJ, it is pretty "blah" ... but the scenery changes at every turn of the river ... absolutely amazing.

Doug

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »
I got the sailboat working, and created a flightplan from Misty's SPB to Wrangell SPB.  I set waypoints along the way to avoid obstacles.  I used that course to test the boats autopilot, fine tuning the flightplan as I went along.  I adjusted the [flight tuning] section, to fix the tracking.  Set pitch and elevator settings to "0", aileron and rudder settings to 4.  But, when I was working with a tall ship, 2-masts,  I  had  to  use "-4"  (minus four) for the ailerons and rudders instead, as it kept trying to turn the wrong way.  So now I have three ships that can follow the autopilot, and a flightplan.   

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:47:35 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Magnum Beaver

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2011, 02:12:15 AM »
might want to look at posting them... I tried for 9 hours last night, and just couldn't seem to get it to work...

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 05:03:26 AM »
Here are the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg of my sailboat.  Maybe there's something you can use in here.  There seems to be some things in the cfg file that didn't copy too well to my text file, in the "weight and balance" section in particular.  Ignore that, as I didn't touch that area of the file anyway.  And some of the cfg file is in french.  I'm not french, and don't speak or write it, so don't ask me what those parts say.  I didn't change anything french either.  The areas to look at are . . . title=(append a -1 or similar to this line), ui_type=airplane, [Flight Tuning] section, [autopilot] section, and make sure you've got an AP installed, with electrical to avionics, etc.  The way it is configured here, it goes about 72, and tracks within .65nm when cornering a 90 degree waypoint.  Good luck.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:22:31 AM by jeff3163 »

Magnum Beaver

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 05:59:31 AM »
thanks.. I'll take a look and see what I can figure out :)

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho