Author Topic: FSX Beaver in RTMM  (Read 4381 times)

sra

FSX Beaver in RTMM
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:19:02 PM »
I'm new to RTMM and really appreciate what has been done here.  I'm not new to FSX (having started back in the SubLogic days) but I have been away from it for quite a while and I'm just starting up again.  I returned from a trip/cruise to Alaska in July and while there watching all of the bush planes flying in and out of every port of call I got bit by the flying bug again.  I was completely floored when I stumbled on RTMM and your content.  So, putting my toe in the water I've installed the the RTMM libraries and thought I would give "Dispatch 001" a try.   I can fly the FSX Beaver but I have yet to figure out how to turn it around after docking in the dispatch.  No matter what I do I cannot get the water rudders to take effect until I build up some speed and by the time I build up any speed I'm beached.  Am I missing something? is this a *feature* of the FSX model and I need to look at the Aerosoft version?   Let me add that I have a payware Quest Kodiak by Lionhart that has a Float version and I can manage it easily.  I love the the DHC-2 and really want to use it so I hope I can figure this out but I don't want to buy a payware version and have the same issue.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: FSX Beaver in RTMM
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 08:12:08 PM »
Hi sra,
     Welcome to the Return to Misty Moorings forum.  I am wondering, are you experiencing this issue with the water rudders down?  With them down, it does take a little forward speed to initiate a turn.  But not that much.  With them up, you are relying solely on your tail rudder to provide the turning force.  I don't use the default FSX beaver.  The Aerosoft Beaver X is much better.  Be sure the water rudders are in the down position, by clicking on the water rudder handle to the left of the yoke.  Then give the prop a good thrust, and ease off when you start moving. Use your pedals to steer, of course. Have them turned for the desired direction before applying the prop thrust.  You should lurch forward and begin to turn pretty quickly.  Try to never park nosed-in towards objects or land if possible.  You may find yourself extending the landing gear and driving onto the beach for a U-turn.   :o 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »
Welcome Sra!

Keep in mind that in real life, winches and people muscle power are used to maneuver floatplanes at the dock when they have to be backed out etc.  So, don't be afraid to slew your way out a little in lieu of a person/persons turning the floater.

Have fun!  There is a lot to see and do here!

Rod

sra

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 07:53:04 AM »
Yep, water rudders are down but the way the mission is setup you're left facing a beach or something.  I spent days looking for a paddle key but I never thought of slewing my way out.   I'm sure that will work!  I may have to give the Aerosoft Beaver a try anyway.

Auger

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 12:59:19 AM »
I don't know if I've ever tried this on the water, but does Shift-p (pushback) work to back you off the beach a bit?

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 01:12:32 AM »
No, usually the "tug" doesn't work in water.  If you think about it, the tug is an airport vehicle.  ;)

You can "slew" off the beach, if stuck. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:57:09 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »
Shft. P will work on the water ONLY if the airplane is an amphibian with wheels.  Float planes will not work.
So I guess FSX is smarter than the average bear!
 8)
Later,

Spud

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 10:59:33 AM »
Shft. P will work on the water ONLY if the airplane is an amphibian with wheels.  Float planes will not work.
So I guess FSX is smarter than the average bear!
 8)

Yep, It's the wheels that make the difference.  I've put fakey invisible wheels on a model and it does pushback.  ;)