Author Topic: Flight Plan Requirements  (Read 8819 times)

GCNorth

Flight Plan Requirements
« on: September 19, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
Hi,

Do all flight plans have to have at least one airport?  I ask because with boats (and seaplanes) I would like to be able to travel between locations that do not include a SPB.  I have looked at a number of flight plans from MM, and I noticed they all seem to have at least one airport or ICAO.  Is this a requirement?

Regards, Gerry

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Flight Plan Requirements
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 11:38:25 PM »
Hello Gerry,
     Yes, it is a requirement.  There is no provision to enter just a set of coordinates as a destination.  Only established locations will work for start/end points in a flightplan.   ;)  After all, it's a flight simulator.   :-\

(feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong.) :P
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:39:58 PM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 07:22:31 AM »
Gerry...Jeff is correct. We mostly use Plan G for our flight plans. This, of course was designed for a flight simulator. Plan G requires an airport for a start. You will notice our reverse flight plans ask you to "position" your aircraft or boat, but then the plan flies you back to an airport. It is possible to create waypoints in XML that a GPS will find. If you are regularly flying between two no-airport locations, you can make waypoints. Look on the new Desiigner's Corner page...the "how to" is there.

Doug

GCNorth

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 01:10:34 PM »
Hi Jeff and Doug,

Thanks for your responses.  Doug, I don't quite understand when you said, " If you are regularly flying between two no-airport locations, you can make waypoints."  But I still would have to have an airport in the plan.  So I could not fly from one cabin mooring to another cabin mooring without an airport?

Gerry

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »
You can make a waypoint for your favorite cabin. The you can position yourself anywhere and put that waypoint into your GPS and navigate right to it.

D

GCNorth

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
Would this be a flight plan (.pln) with a line visible on the GPS?

Gerry

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 05:17:10 PM »
I discovered that other day, too, while trying to compile a short FP for a sailing ship in Plan-G. I wanted to start somewhere offshore just to get the feel of the ship but not start in a harbor. I thought I would be able to create a user way point and start my flight plan from there, but no dice. It wants to see known reference points for start and finish.

jsapair
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 08:39:24 AM »
jsapair,
I'm not positive but as I recall the AI shipping, or at least some of the ships have a starting point that is an airport although not visible.  Look at Plan-G northwest of PAKT and HKC1 is actually the starting point for the Hollis - Ketchikan Ferry.  I'm pretty sure you could use one of these as a starting point "out in the water" for a sail plan.  At least its worth a try.
 8)
Later,

Spud

marc2140

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »
There are mooring points of ships that are actually listed in the directory of airports to start a flight from, without being an SPB.
Look at PAW1, PAW2, Paw3,...
How they come in there, is not clear to me, but I assume it has indeed  to do with user waypoints...?
Cheers
Marcel
Marcel

Intel i7-4790k @ 4.8 GHz-MBO Asus MaxVii Hero-Corsair 780T-Corsair PSU 1000w-Corsair H100i GTX cooling-G Skill 16gb 2400/CL 10 (2x8gb)-Geforce GTX980 4gb ddr5-SSD 850 pro 512gb-2Tb HDD WD black 7200rpm-LG Blu Ray-Wifi pci-exp N900 (dual freq 2.4+5ghz)-Win7 Ult OS 64bit-FSX-SE

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »
Hi Marcel,

Those are starting points for Tongass AI Vessels.  They have to be set up for that type of AI to work correctly.  However, if you want to use it as a start point, you can....you just might start on top of an AI Vessel depending on the time of day.

Rod

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »
Good ideas guys. Wouldn't have thought of that. I'll give it a try. Thnx.
Jsapair