Author Topic: A tad off topic-has anyone had this  (Read 11211 times)

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
Re: A tad off topic-has anyone had this
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »
Dieter. Is it possible that this particular re-paint (Misty's) isn't compatible with the c185 base Payware model? I noticed that the other re-paints on the Enhancements page all specify if they are for Payware models. This one doesn't. Just a thought.

jsapair
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 12:04:56 AM »
???  What?  We are using it on the Carenado payware model, same as you are.  It is correct for the plane you have.  Notice I am using the Misty plane in the "PAKT CIRP Operations AI Helicopter missing" thread we are currently discussing.

-How many files are in your texture.misty folder? 
-When you moved the misty.jpg to the texture folder, did you rename it to thumbnail.jpg? 
-When you moved it, did you put the slashes (//) before the ui_thumbnailfile=misty.jpg line in your aircraft.cfg file? 
-Do you have a texture.cfg file inside the texture.misty folder?

Here is some reading on the topic of thumbnails.  Might be helpful to clear up the various methods for using thumbnails.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/60625-aircraft-thumbnails/

There are three methods.  The Carenado planes are set up to use method three.  We were switching your setup to method one.  Only pick one of the methods.  If using "thumbnail.jpg", you must deactivate the UIthumbnailfile= line and place the file inside the texture folder.  If you use a character after the word thumbnail, such as "thumbnail3.jpg" you must use the UIthumbnailfile=thumbnail3.jpg.  (or for misty.jpg it would be UIthumbnailfile=misty.jpg.) and the file is placed outside the texture folder, as it was originally.  Method two has the image named the same as the title of the particular aircraft.  Method one is the easiest, but it should have worked the way it was originally.  Something else is amiss in your folders, I think.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:43:17 AM by jeff3163 »

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Dieter

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 01:51:19 AM »
@jsapair
Same flightsim version and same aircraft here.
My systems shows exactly what is presented in Jeff's screenshots.
Very, very strange at all. I'm at my wits end...
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

jsapair

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »
45 files in the texture.misty folder, including the texture.cfg.

Renamed the original misty.jpg to thumbnail.jpg and moved it to the texture.misty folder. Deactivated the Ui_thumbnail line. No joy.

Renamed thumbnail.jpg to thumbnail3.jpg and moved it back to the main C185F Amphibian folder. Re-activated the Ui line and edited it to read Ui_thumbnailfile=thumbnail3.jpg. Still no joy.

In both instances I can select the Misty livery from Select AC, but actually selecting it brings up the default AC. What's weird is I have 5 other liveries set up the exact same way using thumbnail, tn0, tn1, tn2, tnxx, in the main C185 folder and they all work just fine.
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 07:47:38 PM »
Hi J,
     It sounds like you've got the default textures in your texture.misty folder somehow.  Just a guess.  Sometimes a repainter will give you the "paint" file only, but to save download space will ask you to copy the other files from the default texture folder.  That would be the glass, pilot, interior, prop, etc.  It's possible to accidentally overwrite the paint file with the default one.  This is just a possible scenario.   ???

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

jsapair

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 10:09:51 PM »
I do have the default textures in my texture.misty folder, all of them. My default texture folder has 44 files. My texture.misty folder is completely identical but has 45 files due to the texture.cfg. file. That's what comes with the download. I even downloaded it again just for grins. :-\

The other modifications you refer to is if you want to apply the paint to something other than the Amphibian...Floats, Skis, etc.

So, I don't know. Pretty straightforward.

Hey, I don't know if this is related, but I just discovered that if I select either of the Float models I get an error message:
"Failed to start up the flight model. C185 Skywagon Float Door" or whatever. Don't recall that ever popping up before. I'm now wondering if I have a corrupt file in my C185 installation? Otherwise I would think that others would be reporting the same problem I'm having. Think I could do a re-install of the payware package over what's already there without losing my other liveries??

J
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 11:45:04 PM »
Hi J,
     I was just reviewing the install process for the misty paint for myself.  It does contain all files necessary for the folder.  I suggest you delete the files in your texture.misty folder and copy/paste the ones from the zipfile in there.  You can't tell what paint scheme it is by the names.  They are all the same filenames.  So, yes.  You shouldn't need to reinstall the entire plane to fix the misty paint. (on second thought, with that error it might be a good idea to start over with a fresh install of it.)  I doubt the auto-installer would delete anything, but may have trouble rewriting files, however unlikely.  Best to do fresh install.

I don't like floatplanes (no wheels), so I probably have never clicked on that one.  There are model versions for the ski and floatplane that have lower windows in the doors (model.DW, model.bush), for better visibility. 

Edit:  I am flying the floatplane with door windows in P3D right now.  So mine is working, "out of the box".

Liveries are defined in the aircraft.cfg files, and the presence of corresponding texture folders.  Backup your aircraft.cfg files and texture folders of anything you're worried about losing before doing anything.  (unless you've got copies already in a zip file somewhere.)  But all the liveries come in the install, except the Misty repaints, which you can get here.  So, no worries mate. ;)

I also notice an SP1C185FFSX.exe file in the install folder.  That sounds like an update.  I don't remember, though.  It would also be good if you installed the B. Stolle flight dynamics upgrade too.  Then apply the misty repaints after that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:40:11 AM by jeff3163 »

jsapair

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »
I tried a reinstall over the original after saving all my folders. The answer to my question, will that delete my add-on textures, is yes. But only in the aicraft.cfg. The texture folders and the thumbnails are still there so it will just be a matter of adding the info back into the corresponding .cfg files. I think I'll add them one at a time and test, in case one of them was causing my problem in the first place. My error on the Floats went away which is an encouraging sign.

I'll have to try and find that B.Stolle flight dynamics update. Think I'm on the right track, though. I'll let you know how it goes.
                                            JJ

Jeff, is that the Brent Stolle C185 modifications for the exits and lights? If so I have them and will have to re-add them, too. Thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:28:42 PM by jsapair »
Jsapair

jsapair

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 09:14:17 PM »
No joy. After re-installing the Carenado and starting with a brand new .cfg I reinstalled two add-on Amphibian textures which worked fine. Deleted the files in texture.misty and pasted in the texture files from a new DL. Added the misty repaint as flightsiim.3. Selected it in Select AC and it went to the default AC just like b4. I deleted the first two add-on textures and made Misty flightsim.1. So now it's just the default Carenado Amphibian texture and the Misty texture. Restarted FSX. Selected the Misty texture. Nope. Goes back to the default AC texture. AAARRGGHH!
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
Hi J,
     This is my misty entry for the amphib version. 

[fltsim.1]
title=C185F SKYWAGON Misty Taxi
sim=Carenado_C185
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=misty
kb_checklists=C185_check
kb_reference=C185_ref
atc_id=N484AK
ui_manufacturer="Carenado"
ui_type="C185F"
ui_variation="Misty"
ui_createdby="Carenado"
ui_typerole="Highwing single Engine Prop"
description="The C185, also known as the Skywagon, is a six-seat, single engined, general aviation light aircraft. The amphibian and float variations are widely used in Canada and in the North of the United States. Landing on lakes and rivers and flying at low altitude among narrow green valleys are the speciality of this bird."
atc_heavy=0
atc_airline=
atc_flight_number=
atc_id_color=0x00000000
atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
visual_damage=0
//ui_thumbnailfile=misty.jpg
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:29:01 PM by jeff3163 »

jsapair

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 10:15:27 PM »
Which means your thumbnail now resides in the texture folder. When I do that I get the big ? in Select AC. If I rename it to something else and put it in the main folder I can see it. Here's another thing just to muddy the water even more. I re-arranged all my add-on textures so I could at least get them working and add Misty's last. After I did that, when I select the Misty texture it doesn't go to the default AC, it goes to what I have as fltsim.1...the weathered version. Misty should be flightsim.5.  Dieter wants me to send him my Amphibian folder. Maybe I'll do that and let him have a look at it. Way too big to post here.
                                         JJ
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »
Hey J,
     Copy the misty entry I posted above, and paste it into your aircraft.cfg for the misty paint.  If you copied your misty entry from your original cfg, you may be transferring the error.  Use my working version, and see if it works for you.  ;)

jsapair

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 05:48:24 PM »
I'll try it later today, Jeff. If it doesn't work I'll try it again on a new, clean install.

jj

No joy, Jeff. Using your Misty .cfg entry I get the same thing. With the Misty.jpg in the main folder I can see the thumbnail but can't select it (goes to default) . Moving it to the texture.misty folder and disabling the ui line I get the ?. If I select it anyway it goes to default. I also tried renaming the jpg to thumbnailmisty.jpg in the main folder. No difference.

My only other option, in my view, is to uninstall the whole program and start over, but I really don't think it's going to make a difference, do you? I could try it if you think it's worth a shot, but I'm getting real tired of screwing with it, myself. One less texture is no big deal but it drives me crazy when things won't work like they're supposed to. And nobody else seems to be having this problem.

JJ
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:15:10 PM by jsapair »
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2015, 06:59:32 PM »
. . . but I really don't think it's going to make a difference, do you?

Well, yes.  I do.  You can move your current install to a safe place outside your sim, or zip it up into a zipfile.  I would do the latter. (  ??? in retrospect, why are we saving it?  :o ) Then reinstall the plane, and apply the update and upgrade.  Fly each plane, to check 'em out.  Then add one repaint and check it out.  Repeat until all repaints are installed.  Be sure your [flightsim.#] number sequence is correct.  Doing this, I found that the white one in my sim was missing its [flightsim.#] line completely.  So I didn't even know there was a white one.  Check each line of the aircraft.cfg carefully for such an error.
     Nobody is perfect, no matter how hard we try.  Errors happen.   ;)  Or live without that paint, it is up to you really.  ::)

If it is fixed, you can delete the saved zip file.  :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:04:46 PM by jeff3163 »

jsapair

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 09:58:27 PM »
Thanks, Jeff, but I think I'm beating a dead horse here. I went through all this at least 3 or 4 times on my own b4 I ever even posted the problem here, and I've been installing aircraft for years. Thought maybe there would be a quick fix or a common problem but apparently not. All my other add-on amphibian textures work fine, as do the Misty's Beaver and Goose repaints. It's not worth it to me to uninstall and reinstall the Carenado amphibian, and the other textures I have for it, just in the off chance it may fix that particular issue. I can live without it and write it off to 'just one of those things'. But thanks, and thanks to Dieter, too. I appreciate the effort. My, look at the time. It's Happy Hour!  :o Drinks are on me at Misty's until 7:PM PST. Dang...looks like you boys just missed it.

J.
Jsapair