Author Topic: My first trip to Misty's!  (Read 4207 times)

Wildbird

My first trip to Misty's!
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
Never written one of these before... I did cut down on the number of screenshots, but it's still a lengthy story... I hope you like it!

Hi, my name is John and I've been living in Alaska for a year now, but this was my first trip to the legendary Misty's. Got my job working as a rampie for Wildbird Aviation, a small-ish charter operator in BC and southern Alaska. The owner is actually another Norwegian who came here pretty much the same way I did, as just another low time pilot with an unhealthy fascination for short strips & bad weather. He was the pilot on the trip to Misty, which gave me plenty of time to take pictures, inbetween stoving cargo and learning the ropes.

We started at Klawock with the Grand Caravan after spending the night there. Have a look at the windsock in front!

Got up to altitude and found the sun. Combined with the 20-30 knot headwind it produced some angry mumbling from the left seat all the way to Ketchikan!

While I was just glad I didn't have business down there:

The innlet to Ketchikan up by the center post there. Had to swing by there to drop off most of our passengers and cargo. It was starting to cloud over again too, which was a relief to our eyes.

Why's it called Misty fjords again..?

The wind dropped to just 3kts so landing was nice. Maybe we should have floated further down the runway before settling down, it was a long way to taxi to the exit. Taking a short cut down the hill would have been uncomfortable!

Picture of the bird, with the boss still looking very focused. The tail art is supposed to be geese I think...

We're outta here! Plenty of cruise ships are here already. Leveled off just after that and turned down toward Misty.

"What you doing Chief?" "Looking for a map.." "Why?" "Never been here before" "....Okay..."

We aborted this one...

Second attempt, looking good this time! A tourist got this picture for us.

I haven't got any pics of the return trip to PAKT, guess who was flying?  8)

Cheers, John.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: My first trip to Misty's!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:41:39 PM »
Very Nice ;D

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:12 AM »
Fun Story and a amazing flight environment. Is that the Carenado Caravan?
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

Magnum Beaver

• Certified Turboprop Nut!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 02:57:06 AM »
excellent story, and beautiful shots!
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving isn't such a good idea!
Turboprop + Floats = Awesome Fishing!

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

Wildbird

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:37:29 AM »
Thanks!
Robert, yeah, that's the Carenado Grand Caravan. Not completely "bush", but it flies nice once loaded up properly.  :)

Magnum Beaver

• Certified Turboprop Nut!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »
Not completely "bush",

To the contrary!  there are actually a large number of C208s that fly all over Alaska, although in some places it is getting replaced by the PC-12, the 208 serves vital roles in southwest Alaska especially, as well as being a new favorite for the well to do private pilots (a good friend of mine has taken me up in his a number of times headed out to Skwentna, St. Marys, Talkeetna, etc..)
If at first you don't succeed, then maybe skydiving isn't such a good idea!
Turboprop + Floats = Awesome Fishing!

Ross Aldrich
Payette, Idaho

Wildbird

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:33:51 PM »
I know what you mean, but that's usually the short Caravan doing the bush jobs, right? My comment was mostly about the Carenado version, it seems like it's geared for commuter transport, not for travel to Alaskan remote airstrips and such. (Though that's what I use it for..)