Author Topic: Instant Scenery "open scenery" and "add object"  (Read 6569 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Instant Scenery "open scenery" and "add object"
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
Hi Guys,

Is there any very wise prson here who knows why, when I open IS, select add object - and then select add to a different BGL (for very specific reasons) - why does FSX reload scenery as fasas 6% and then stall?

The little load window says "Loading terrain data".

I really do need to change active bgls, believe me, I do. And yes, I have waited - even up to an hour.

Even "loading" a new scenery bgl in IS does the same. It's annoying to have to start out new (i.e. closing FSX with the task manager) and adding each single object with a restart.

And yes, I want Instant scenery as opposed to Airport Design Editor because I want to see the objects I am placing.

All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Instant Scenery "open scenery" and "add object"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:51:30 PM »
Hmmm...

Success again. It seems that IS does not like it when you change BACK to an already used bgl. It didn't mind me creating a new bgl earlier, but it doesn't seem to like me opening an old bgl or saving a newly added object in a different bgl to the one that's current (unless I choose a newname for the bgl)

Oh well... it's a strange life...
All the best,

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »
You should not have that problem Chris, I can open any bgl scenery file with IS2 (are you using 2 or 1?) and it just does a quick rebuild of the library then reloads the sim with the selected bgl now the active one with the ability to add or remove scenery.

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:20:49 AM »
"Are" and "should be"...

I've removed and re-installed.

The fault is an FSX thing though - I get the "Rebuilding Indexes" right enough, it's just that FSX goes into that endless loop at 6%...
All the best,

CAF440

• USCG DSF Lt. Dist 9
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 12:47:13 AM »
"Are" and "should be"...

I've removed and re-installed.

The fault is an FSX thing though - I get the "Rebuilding Indexes" right enough, it's just that FSX goes into that endless loop at 6%...

You have my curiousness. I have both IS 1 and 2 and never experienced this, hum.

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:07:24 AM »
I am beginning to think there's a corrupt file in one of the scenery libraries or scenery addons.

6% is where FSX stalls because it is looking for something... but what?
All the best,

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:02 AM »
I think I am getting somewhere...

282 areas in the scenery.cfg text file and only 280 scenery areay in FSX. This calls for spade-work.
All the best,

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:42:05 AM »
I'll bet that Slartibartfast never had these kinds of problems...
All the best,

Wildbird

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »
Probably not, Slartibartfast made terrain mesh, he didn't place scenery objects.  ;)

Francois

• FS Veteran
    • former FSAddon Publishing
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 10:59:07 AM »
The 6% error is a very old error I seem to remember.. happened often when FSX was just on the market. You haven't by any chance re-installed FSX and forgot about the updates, have you?
Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

... and the man's blog

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Nope... I've been fairly lucky this time around - the last install was over 2 years ago...

Fixed it anyway. After many hours poking around under the hood, I finally spotted three "handles" from "Addon Scenery" in the task manager. The last time I tried opening a bgl with Instant Scenery and got the 6% bug, I ran windows task manager and saw that thing called the resource monitor. "Resource Monitor" I thinks to myself, "Let's see what this shows..."

I looked at all odd things that you can see there and finally came across a tab called "CPU" with processes, services, associated handles and associated modules as part of the window.

After a couple of hours I noticed you could sort and search the various lists. I finally had the idea of using "Addon Scenery" as a search term and ONLY three "handles" came up - PF23 (Yes, mine) the FSHeliCH Lama helicopter summer sceneries and PF20 Misty's place.

I deactivated all three in FSX library and lo and behold, Instant scenery woke up and allowed me to open the new eagleskinner location bgls for editing.

What's happening, apparently, is that FSX is looking for an object in those three addon sceneries and not finding it because I haven't got it or . It was too late for me to investigate any more this morning (1:00 a.m.), but I have been tidying out and up in the new Eagleskinner strip area since, adding easter egg goodies all over the place.

I restored the three culprits one at a time and did some Instant scenery work. Misty's - good. Daredevils - good. CHheli Lama Switzerland scenery addins... AHA!! I still have the sceneries active in the addon scenery folder, but the last install was probably corrupted. I think the two moorings sceneries were just innocent bystanders.

The only reason I assume that the addon sceneries are causing the stress was that I have several hundred of them and only three were showing in the task manager as being active (or troublesome?).

This could all be hot air, but the problem appears to have lifted and I haven't done anything else to my PC these past few days. Incidentally, I had also been having issues lately in not getting from the scenery library to the free flight library in the FSX startup menus. With Lama X sceneries off, that works again too.
All the best,

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 07:02:42 PM »
Chris,
Lama's are noted for spitting so it probably shorted out something in there!!!!  :o :P ;D
 8)
Later,

Spud