Author Topic: Alaska Power Project  (Read 394270 times)

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
Re: Alaska Power Project
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 05:50:26 PM »
Funny I had the Kildala Pass scenario in mind too  :) Maybe another task variation should require a pilot to do like whats depicted in this video...

https://youtu.be/kh8Zu5_0Am0

That's why flying helos are so fun, challenging and most of all..bad ass!  :o 8) There's just lots of crazy and dangerous tasks you can do with it...if you have the skill and guts to make it happen  :P  :o
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 06:25:13 PM by Trex3D »

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
Ok, we will sure look into it. This one I'm working on is pretty simple, needs something, maybe I'll try something on it. Your ideas are really appreciated.  Thank you.

D

Doug

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 04:50:56 PM »
Thayer Creek Hydro Added

This was an interesting one (under construction). This is a very small power plant, the whole operation will cost about $1,200,000 ... tiny for power projects.  The community of Angoon uses diesel generators for power. At the time of the plant's proposal, they were running 34 cents per kilowatt hour ... Washington, DC at that time was running 7 cents per kilowatt hour! Thayer Creek is a perfect location for their needs. Thayer Creek is located about 6 miles north of Angoon. About a mile up the creek is a very steep, rocky falls that salmon cannot use (naturally), so a dam on Thayer Creek would not hurt the salmon industry. To get the head pressure, the earthen breastwork dam has to be built above the falls. A 42" PVC pipe will carry the water from the dam down past the falls to the power plant. The locals must cut a trail along the creek up to the dam location and, using a small backhoe, construct an earthen breastwork. The trail will be used for access and for dragging logs.  In our depiction, the facility is nearly ready. They are still clearing and burning brush, dragging out the logs (which helps pay for the operation), and are getting ready to start the turbines.

There are two places to land a helicopter, and a float plane dock. Unlike the "real" world, ORBX had the terrain here rising up to 200 feet near the coast, so the stream was running uphill. I changed all that cutting a canyon for the basin of the creek which made it all flow DOWN from Thayer Lake.  This one was technically interesting to construct. (There are no windsocks, watch the smoke from the fires for wind direction).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 04:54:11 PM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
Thayer Creek looks excellent, Doug!

Just watched the very interesting vimeo video explaining the need for thayer creek hydro project in the angoon area. Thanks for adding the link to the scenery document.... I recommend everybody watching it.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:08:17 AM by corbu1 »

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Teecee

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 10:03:57 AM »
Just "discovered" this thread.. WOW! one of my favorite projects coming to life.. I have added many Dams using Instant scenery..some look OK, some don't.. I am so looking forward to seeing your offerings.
Want a Beta Tester???? Teecee.

PS:  is it your intention to release these dams as you create them, or as a group when completed?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:55:08 AM by Teecee »

Doug

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »
Thanks all for the kind words and emails ... we are enjoying this too. The video was my main source for this location. So when you see the depictions there, you'll recognize them in what I did. And TeeCee ... you ARE a beta tester if you download the zip at the APP page. :-)  We are purposely keeping this one "open" for people who have the courage to play with a beta. We are forever changing it and messing around with it ... so be sure to TAKE OUT the previous Alaska Power Project folder completely then add the new folder from the latest zip. (We are changing file names and it can get confusing... best thing, replace, do not overwrite.  Keep an eye on the Construction Log on the page to see if you have the latest. (Look at the APP link on the bottom of the Scenery Page.) And when you find things wrong, no problem passing it along in this thread.  People might get a better understanding of what we are going through.

On Thayer Creek Hydro (my latest), the stream going across the reservoir just wasn't "right." I tried making a scenic walkway ... that was better, but it didn't seem correct either. So when in doubt, ask Holger. (God Bless this man and his brain!!!). Got an immediate answer back what to do. Tried it, and it worked!!! You "exclude" the vector for that stream, then you have to REBUILD a whole new stream ... which I did.  So the problem is now gone. I put the finishing touches on Thayer Creek, adding a workers' quarters (cabins), and "river-scaped" the stream.  This one, with the learning curve and re-do's, took about 60 hours. :-)  Good thing we enjoy this stuff, huh? (But so much fun to learn some new things!).  Here's pics of the latest ... and I hope final version. (As you look around, you may see a bush out of place or something, take a screenshot and send it to me...I'll fix it).

Doug
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:26:18 PM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »
Beautiful! Thanks to Holger for his help. Thayer Creek screenshots look amazing.

Today, I checked Goat Lake Hydro in my sim.
Great location. There's so much detail put in this scenery.......beautiful.
Both helipads are nice challenges on approach and take off...especially the one in the lower location...the heli folks will love it, I'm sure.
There was only one small issue with the fuel barrel on the upper helipad. It is floating a few inches in the air.....
Goat lake hydro is a beautiful addition to the skagway area....

i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 05:52:15 PM »
Hi ... OK, lowered the oil drums.  These things are VERY tricky on elevations, and it is so easy for that to happen where there is not a lot of ground definition under it. No problem, fixed. Those are just the things we are looking for ... so if you see something, let us know. The new zip is up with the oil drum fixed.

Doug

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »
Hi,
Checked Lake Dorothy Hydro this evening......
Looks beautiful.....I came in from Juneau low in my Bell 407 entering Taku Inlet....and what did I see in the distance?....This beautiful huge concrete wall of the base power station.....EXCELLENT!!!

It's a very complex station as there are three lakes involved. The heli folks will love it hovering around and watching all the beautiful details. All items used look completly plausibel....in that way it must also work in the real location.

I love the helipad at the powerhouse site placed into the terrain....the helipad at bart lake is avreal nice challenge on approach, watch out for the trees there....

A few objects you might check elevation : The two fork-lift trucks on the oier of powerhouse site seems to stuck a few inches in the ground with the wheels.
The person on the dam of Bart Lake looked a bit small sized ...

As said, I was very impressed. The design of this site looks so real..... :)

Doug

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 08:02:17 PM »
Thayer Creek addition ... I added a construction crew "covering" the pipeline with dirt ... which they would have to do or the pipe would freeze in the winter. Also leveled out the lower basin so it looks smoother for the stream.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
Snettisham Hydro by Thomas ...

Under construction. the power plant is complete (is part of the download beta zip). Now working on the upper lake area.  This one is looking exactly as the real thing.

Doug

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »
Mahoney Lake Hydro (Near Ketchikan)

This plant is actually presently under construction. There is a dam at Upper Mahoney Lake, and twin tunnel system leading down to the plant on Mahoney Lake. There is an access road to the nearby "Ore Plant" where the materials for construction will be received and staged (barge access). The challenge was to create a river from upper Mahoney Lake down the side of the mountain and include the waterfall that exists half way down the mountain.  There are three helipads and two float plane docks. There is a windsock up at the dam and fuel available at the float plane fuel dock at the hydro plant.

Again, these are all beta ... so there could be problems. If you find a problem let us know.

Doug
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:12:20 AM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »
Mahoney Lake and Snettisham screnshots look beautiful, Doug.

Wow, Thomas and you are building these sites faster as I'm able to fly there :)

I'm not sure if you noticed my comments on a few objects in Lake Dorothy scenery in my recent post.
If not you might have a look on it.

I will make my way south in the next days and check the other sites.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:38:59 PM by corbu1 »

Doug

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »
I'll take a look at Dorothy Lake this morning. And "update" here.

Doug

Update#1 .. can't find the problems. Could you send me a screenshot?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:39:07 PM by Doug »

Doug

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 09:39:29 PM »
Whitman Lake Hydro - Plant actually under construction - By Doug Linn

A small hydroelectric plant that is actually now under construction. It is located behind Herring Bay. We were careful not to place to many objects so not to interfere with the frame rates on the already overeoaded Ketchikan area. 

Notam: This location is NOT compatible with the PAKT PAYWARE package. So we have made it a SEPARATE download, it is not part of the Alaska Power Project zip file. Download it from the zip button and install it like any other RTMM scenery package. If you have PAKT Payware, ignore this one.