Author Topic: Alaska Power Project  (Read 394565 times)

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
Re: Alaska Power Project
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2015, 04:35:33 PM »
After getting with a cold for a few days, I'm back in my virtual helo again.
Tested the latest zip-file (2015-09-22) today.

Thanks for adding a helipad to angoon! This was a great idea. Angoon is very nice modeled, but starting flights there was only possible for floatplanes so far. Now, helos have a starting point, too.

PP15 is beautiful. The two dams are very nice. Helo flying at PP15 is great fun.

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #196 on: September 23, 2015, 05:12:02 PM »
Doug,
Regarding the dispatches most interesting for helo flyers will be approaches and departures. Especially hints on tall obstacles like trees, cranes etc. are important. It depends on the location. Goat Lake lower site, approach should follow white pass from skagway. Other locations are easier on approach.
At some locations helipads are placed near a fence. This is also interesting information on approach.
I can collect some informations for different locations the following days.

In an earlier discussion, powerline inspection was suggested to be an option as a dispatch, I believe.
Thomas handplaced a lot of powertowers near snetisham area hydro stations. May be a dispatch route following these powertowers could be possible?

i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #197 on: September 23, 2015, 07:22:34 PM »
We could try a powerline inspection. Thomas and I both had problems with the transmission line maker in IS3. So these would have to be individually placed. We have it on the list.

D

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #198 on: September 24, 2015, 01:56:33 AM »
Thank you, Doug and Thomas!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:50:13 AM by corbu1 »

Doug

« Reply #199 on: September 24, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »
Blue Lake Hydro Progress Report (Doug)

This one has been difficult from the beginning. First of all the terrain was not "correct" for the placement of a dam, so I had to "move a mountain or two" to make it happen. You can see the before and after pics below. There are some wonderful videos on YouTube about this project ... it is very well documented. One of those is a drone's view of the winter construction work there: Click Here. Notice the big yellow crane there, a key feature to the success of this work. We didn't have an object exactly like it, but we have a big yellow crane too. Notice the "forms" they are using for the concrete, Steve W came through and gave us som new objects to use, forms and scaffolding. (Thank you Steve).  I placed several "people" onto the site ... but you are going to have to look closely to see them ... as it would be on the real site. The dam we depict is the height and width of the real dam that was already there. they are going to build it 83 feet higher. I sized the dam first, then built the terrain around it.

Next, I have to go after the hydro plant down at the sea shore. ORBX put it in in "photoreal" (from Google Earth) so it is "flat."  I'm going to place objects that I can find to try to correctly re-construct the hydro plant. That should take a fair amount of time.  For the "construction watchers" ... this "part" of the work is in the APP.zip and you can play with it and see it. The "position" for the helipad is on the APP site (look under Blue Lake Hydro). (There is no ADEX yet).

Thomas and I are working on the last two of these in this set ... there might be more later if there is interest. The next phase of this will be enhancing the "here to there" aspect of this (dispatches, etc). In the end, it looks like we will have a fascinating package to offer.

Doug  (PS ... click on the picture for a larger view)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:31:52 PM by Doug »

tomse

« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
Hi Klaus, did you catch your cold from the Oktoberfest oder nicht?
Concerning powerline inspection I tell you there is a dispatch in my mind. In real life there was an avalanche accident near Snettisham which we can rebuild, maybe following the medevac issue. Let us finish the scenery developping and clear the faults.
Th

I7-4790@3.6GHZ, WIN10/ 64bit, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 8GB VRAM,  P3Dv5.5, Active Sky P3D, FSUIPC 6, LittleNavMap

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2015, 05:00:07 PM »
Hi Thomas,
Well catching the cold from Oktoberfest wouldn't be that bad ;)...in fact I wasn't able visiting it so far :'(.
But there's the following week.....l find some time spending a nice time there, I'm sure :D

Your idea with the powerline inspection sounds great....take all time you need completing the sceneries first.
Doug, Steve and you sre doing an awesome job with creating the APP hydro stations and developing nice objects for placing there. Thanks so much.

@ Doug
Thanks for the link to the Blue Lake construction site videos......They are really very interesting.
A big applause to the Liebherr 1600....that is a nice toy for real men!! ;)

Doug

« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »
Blue Lake Hydro - Completed

(Except for some possible QC issues), this plant is now finished.  The hydro plant is in an area where there is a "Sitka Industrial Complex" site. This was all "photoreal" ... (flat) ... so buildings had to be placed onto the image to make it become 3-dimensional.  The new plant is positioned exactly where the real one is being constructed.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
Salmon Creek Hydro - By Thomas Menzel

Thomas has finished Salmon Creek Hydro.  It is "up" on the site for QC.  You will be amazed at the detail in this one too.  When you look at the little stone walls, and piles of boulders ... each one is sized, rotated and placed, and usually placed perfectly adjacent to one attaching to it. On many of these, you have to also set the individual objects' altitude from the ground.  A tedious process.  In this one there is almost a little garden at the base of the dam with some wonderful little bridges and hiking areas, even a little campsite. (see screenshot). As you follow the stream down, you will be able to see glimpses of the penstock, and the creek is "riverscaped." The actual hydro facility is perfectly blended into the little town down by our recent medical center.  This is really a great example of attention to detail with the eye of an artist. (Well done, Thomas!).

This was the last plant remaining to "place" into our APP set. We ask anyone interested to download the APP and give it a final checkover for Quality Control.  With this kind of detail, we can have errors.  So please point out anything out of place you may see.

Next ....

I'll now go to work on the dispatches.  I'll be flying each one, using the float plane and will give a bit of a commentary for float planes. Corbu is going to give me some wording that will help the heli pilots on approaching and taking off from the various helipads.  Again, any/all of you are welcome to add a comment or two to the dispatches. We'll keep them very simple, but we also want them useful.

Once we are OK on QC and the dispatches are finished, I'll put the final touches on the Web Page. I'll move the construction log to the very bottom of the page so we can keep it for historical purposes. The top "Under Construction" table will be eliminated and the zip button for downloading (introduction table will become linked and the link at the bottom of the log will be deleted).  I'll be putting some final touches onto the readme document for the whole project.  Robert P is going to be making a "trailer" video to advertise APP. So the team will have (1) link to APP, (2) link to Readme.doc (3) link to trailer movie.  We can then offer these on the many sim forums so people can "come and get it."

As I look at these, there is no way you are going to be able to appreciate them from a float plane. The heli folks will be able to see a lot more of the detail. So I think, in the readme, I'll put something about getting out of the aircraft and "slewing around" to view the details that are in each of these.  The "hours" are in the details ... and there is a lot to see that you cannot see from 1200 feet.

If any of you have ideas on how to present this to the flight sim community, we are listening.  I'll have the "links" package posted here so anyone can grab the "advertising" and take it to their special forum.

Home stretch . . . . .

Doug
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:19:12 AM by Doug »

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
Doug,
For presenting APP to the flightsim community I'd suggest hovercontrol.com as best place for the heli folks.

Doug

« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »
Klaus...ok. As you fly these, take a few notes...for instance, "best approach to helipad 3 is from 230 degrees, watch for an antenna to starboard"... That kind of stuff. Ill then add your comments into the dispatches. Not flying helos, I'd be poor at this, you could really make the heli side up of this come alive.  I'll work on the float plane side of it. I'll have the basic directions in there, pretty much as they are now...we just need to add some color and specifics to these to make them fun and exciting.  I'll be pointing out things to look for as they fly over.  You will be able to add more details for helos, and tell them special things to notice.

Just email me any notes you make and I'll add them as we go.

Doug

Doug

« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »
Thomas...after the dispatches are done, we might try a transmission line. I'm thinking of a short one from Thayer Lake to Angoon. The IS3 didn't work for me. But with SbuilderX, I can lay down a VERY narrow polygon with a couple of angles, maybe 15 meters wide, but 25 Km long. Once the polygon is laid out, the come back over it with a line of objects (transmission towers) spaced about 200 meters apart along the polygon. Both the polygon and the line of objects should follow the terrain altitude nicely. This might work. We would have to be careful to have the rotation correct, at each angle we would have to reset the "heading." I'm thinking 2 or 3 of these. Then we could have one broken, or an accident for a repair crew, whatever. The helos would "fly the line" to find a problem.  (Back burner for now, but fun for later).

D

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2015, 08:57:19 PM »
Gentlemen,

Are these (video links below) what you guys are envisioning as "flying the line" to find and fix problems with the APP powerlines? For sure, it will certainly be FUN and CHALLENGING to the helo aficionados here..  :o 8)

https://youtu.be/kh8Zu5_0Am0

https://youtu.be/BGywP1-ZPAk

Looking forward to it and by the way, thanks for the super awesome attention to details!  ;)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 12:45:22 AM by Trex3D »

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

Doug

« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2015, 09:54:43 AM »
Klaus ... check out Thayer Creek Hydro ... start at the dock and move toward Angoon. Rod put in a transmission line for us.  It is pretty neat.

Doug

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #209 on: September 27, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »
Doug and Rod,
just checked the Transmission line.....Looks great !!!!!

I added some screenies from Cockpit view