Author Topic: Some personal considerations  (Read 5262 times)

Dieter

Some personal considerations
« on: May 19, 2015, 02:03:39 AM »
To begin with, I'm no staff member just an ordinary RTMM users and it might not be my business, but sometimes I wonder...

What I'm writing now might be a provoking statement, but that's how it's intended and might stimulate thoughts.
A frank word and clear speech is allowed I suppose.

Repeatedly I read this and other postings with similar content  :
Steve Downing and I are wondering if people are using the Medical Facilities Page. We see many hits on the page and lots of downloads, but we are not getting a lot of discussion, it would be interesting to see what people are thinking.   Let us know.
Reading between the lines,  I interpret this as a „hidden call for support".
Designers what to know from their users if their products meet users' taste.

Doug Linn and Steve Downing are offering  the excellent  MedEvacs work again and again in the forum  but  RTMM user's response is rather poorly as if  they are  offering "Sauerbier" (sour beer). This is a German  idiom, can't be translated but the  meaning is like "chopped liver" or  "a non seller", just like  "of little value".
This broad hint caused  me to write some personnel reflections about our RTMM home.

RTMM has about 900 listed subscribers.

More than 300 never ever wrote any single word in the forum!
Are these "zero-writers"  just  software hunters and gatherers or  they might be called "scenery junkies", only joining in  for downloading sceneries?
RTMM doesn't need them, why not deleting them from the list?

How many of the  remaining 600 ever said "hello"  in  >> Hi, I'm new! << . I didn't count but my guess is less than 100.
Normally it's a cause of decency to introduce oneself when entering a forum to become a member.
This is a significant guesture of good manners and politeness and at least an easy doing what everybody can do  before downloading sceneries here.

- How many users take place is the everday forum business?
A user's request for help is easily done and fortunately we've got very experienced users who lend support to get user problems fixed.
But what about joining discussions, bringing in new ideas, proposals, saying "thank you" for getting many well done FREEWARE sceneries. And many of these have payware character!

May I bring in mind how many uncountless working hours are necessary to create a large area scenery:
That begins with time-consuming search of a suitable site, then laying the ground (often as photo textures) and finally setting suitable objects.
Oh boy, not finished yet, RTMM has a QC (quality control) to adjust all delivered sceneries to be compatible with FSX and P3D.
And this often includes a lot of new problems combined with additional work.
Designers are not sitting next door to each other. That means an additional exchange of many emails and then finally when the new product is "bug-free" it will be published.

This forum only lives on a participation of its members.
The number of really interested and active RTMM enthusiasts is not high. The amount is limited maybe to  30-40 persons ( this is estimated, I might be corrected)(staff members excluded)
User names who are attending the forum on a regular basis, writing postings are always the same ones.
Fortunately we see some new "faces" entering our place bringing in a breath of fresh air.

You are right, when argueing that's the problem of every forum.
Even Orbx with about 33.000 enlisted subscribers suffers from this.
The permanent reader recognizes immediately that active names/regular posters  also at Orbx are always  the same ones and this is an amount of much less than 5%.

Back to us with other questions:
- How many  RTMM members have ever visited all RTMM sceneries?
I bet, besides staff personnel most likely less than 20%.

- How many RTMM members have already flown some of the new rescue flight operations named "RTMM MedEvac"?
Does Doug's new idea attract users' interest?

RTMM is offering high quality sceneries in a huge amount. That is something we have to be aware of much more.
It's a pity that many areas/sceneries  haven't been visited ever because we even don't know about them or because of not going into the trouble of reading the forum carefully, or they  have been ignored actually.
There are sceneries that where never commented. How does the designer know if he met users' taste?
Isn't  this already a sign of being scenery overfed?

Perhaps you might argue,  I  shouldn't lean too far out of the window because I'm not a frequent writer, too. Right, but basically a bit more of interest and activity from all of us will inspire and stimulate our designers to continue their selfless work, always having  in mind that there are users who support  their work and recognize their performance.

Sorry, no harm meant, I was just thinking loud.

Keep our RTMM and our forum alive!

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

av8erjm

Re: Some personal considerations
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »
Dieter Interesting post, I in the past have joined VA or sim related sites only to find out it wasn't what I was looking for and go on my way and most if any have no way to remove yourself. As far as the low rate of posts on the Med Facility page, I would take that as a success,  most post on any page are usually of problems and or complaints. Folks it seems by human nature are easy to complain but then seldom offer KUDOS or thanks for the great scenery eye candy. Then as you wrote also there are those who join to only get the sceneries and those who join just to ''belong'' or to see how many ''awards or achievements'' they can garner. I don't really think RTMM has any more problems with this than any other sites whether it's aviation sims, car racing or groups in the real world it's the nature of the beast. Now if it's a bandwidth problem of something of that nature then that something to look at, but otherwise I look at those people who have never posted or said boo, it's their loss. Oh and by the way I've tried my hand at both repaints and scenery design and in my own admission they are pathetic and I would be embarrassed to share and they all wind up in the thrash bin where they belong. I've posted before I am in awe of the talent at this site and I will enjoy the places and the tasks presented  Blue Skies and Tail Winds Jim

Teecee

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »
I am not sure where I fall in the "classification" of members of this forum, but I have to say that Dieter raises a good point.. Misty's is one of the premier scenery addon websites, but in honesty a have to say that the site is "undersold" I usually only post here to say "help" for one reason or another ::)..
I am not sure what the answer is to Dieters "complaint", but I do know that we need to support and promote this great Website.. Perhaps by mentioning them on the premier FS forums more often, with link to the site, and links to the various sceneries available.
If you see a new piece of scenery, or a new enhancement that you really like, Post a link on the "Big Three", Orbx, Flightsim.com and Avsim.
Teecee.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »
Don't forget to post links to Robert's RTMM videos as well; they're great advertising!
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

dbutterf

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 05:19:06 PM »
Dieter,

Like Teecee, I'm not sure where I would end up in your classification.

I'm not sure how long I've been a member of RTMM (too lazy to look it up) and my posts to the site have been few.

Although I have made very few posts, I have always enjoyed and appreciated the web site, the 'eye candy', missions, et al, that have been provided by those who work extremely hard for my enjoyment even though I do not say 'Thank You' every time I add a piece of MM to my collection.

Personally, I find it tedious to read through 100's of replies saying 'Thank You' to a posting for new scenery when I'm looking to solve a particular issue. I will though say 'Thank You' to anyone who provides help on any issue. In this vein, I am sure that the majority of people who frequent the site have similar sentiments.

"- How many users take place is the everyday forum business?"
I am one of the users who on a regular basis look at the forums to stay abreast of what is happening, new scenery, new missions, solutions to problems, etc.. I will not post unless I can be of some help to someone or if I have an issue my self, that's just me. I do not mean to offend anyone.

"The number of really interested and active RTMM enthusiasts is not high."
Not sure that I can accept this comment. Although I do not post regularly, I will regularly fly in the Alaskan/MM area as I believe it is one of the prettiest area around and the scenery provided by RTMM makes it even better and more enjoyable, especially when I'm trying to find a good cabin for some weekend fishing!  Because people do not comment it does not mean that they are not interested or do not appreciate and participate in your work. Personally I do not think that the success of a forum can or should be measured by the number of posts. I tend to think that if you have few posts, you have a successfully operating site and product. Lots of posts equals lots of issues. The latter comment may be erroneous if we are discussing implementing new processes or procedures.

I believe to answer some of your questions a simple poll may assist you with coming to some solid conclusions or allow for a more accurate estimation on the enthusiasm and involvement of members of RTMM.

Suggestion for increased involvement:-
Not sure how many people like multiplayer flying but it might be worthwhile establishing regular MP sessions that highlight MM and the surrounding areas. This would also provide a medium for 'face to face' meeting of members and encourage discussion on issues that may affect how the site is used, operated and suggestions for site/scenery improvements.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for your efforts and the efforts of all members at RTMM in maintaining an excellent site that may suit only a small segment of the flight sim community, low and slow to enjoy the scenery not high and fast to rack up hours. I would like to think that the majority of the members here are in the first category.

Again, thanks to all.

Dayle
DCA1105
TXKF

P.S. Current MP flights for DC3Airways are in the Alaskan, MM/Tongass/SAK area.
Dayle
P3D v4 WIN 10 Pro i5-4670 CPU @ 3.4GHz 16GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »
Hi, Dieter. Man, you said a mouthful there, and I agree with a lot of it. My thoughts are that you will always have your core members and your lurkers, it's that way everywhere as you know. Some people just don't feel comfortable posting, afraid, probably, that it's more like a clique and afraid, also, that they might embarrass themselves. I can attest to the fact that this is about the friendliest forum out there...believe me, I've asked my share of stupid questions here over the years. But the attitude here is, there are no stupid questions.
   Sure, it would be nice if the folks that take advantage of what is offered here dropped a thank you note once in a while, but the attitude of RTMM is you're not obligated to. The team here offers their products up for free, and most people are going to take that at face value with no further interaction. To play devil's advocate here, I have also seen pages on other forums where the sycophants laud post after post of 'thank you's' ad nauseum. That can get old, too. As you astutely pointed out, the percentage of active members to active participants is low, but I see a lot of new members chiming in all the time. That's a good thing. I just don't think you're going to change human nature, even though your heart's in the right place.
                                              JJ
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 12:38:55 AM »
It would be nice to have a bit of feed back from time to time as people get and use RTMM scenery.  However my take is that the scenery is free, the team does the grunt work because they want to do it, not because they have to.  Human nature being what it is you will get probably a 10 to 1 ratio of interaction between those who have problems with RTMM scenery and those who download it and enjoy it with no problems.  People seeking help for problems are very much a minority of the active posts in these forums.  To me that indicates the team is doing a pretty darn good job and although I don't know the number of downloads since RTMM's inception I'm pretty sure were doing pretty good in that dept.  Happy users might be mostly silent users and that in itself is gratifying to those who give their time and effort to provide exceptional freeware to all who want it.
 8)
Later,

Spud

TheGravedigger

• Little Good Pieces Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 04:52:47 PM »
Guys, I'm another one of those that rarely post, but actively follow the goings-on here.  RTMM is a part of my daily RSS stream, and I read every post.  Likewise, I'm a very active user of these regions, and RTMM has added a depth and complexity to the the northwest coast that Orbx could never have achieved on it's own.

Though I read every post, I rarely have anything to add to others comments, and have absolutely nothing to complain about.  Coming from the old days when bandwidth was precious I, like a good military pilot, keep my comms to a minimum.  Never let it be said, however, that I am not 100% delighted with the work done here.  RTMM is the primary reason that I spend the majority of my time in this part of the world, and I'm very grateful for the work you do.

'Nuff said.  :D
Robert

Yoland

• When all else fails, read the directions!
    • Saint Paul Airlines - Keep the dirty side down.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »
Dieter,

Basically I understand your point and I could well share your conclusions without any objection… except that I do not think that posting your complaint about the poor contribution rate of most registered members on this forum is very productive.
As a matter of fact you are calling attention on a phenomenon which is most common to all comparable websites such as virtual airlines or free flight simulation add-ons sources for instance. Furthermore your post, even if fully justified, makes me think to this pastor who during the Sunday morning worship reprimands the few people present in the church because there are too many missing!  ;D

Moreover, on the wonderful site "Misty Moorings" it is nowhere stated that it is required to register or to be “recognized” to take advantage of all the free gifts (sceneries, missions and much more) that are offered there. Everything is open and made available to anybody. Maybe this is the point which is not fully understood by all those who only wish to download some new free goodies for their flight simulator and think that it is required to register on the website to access to the content.
As a virtual airline manager (St Paul Airlines) I have the same kind of problem. Many people register in our VA just to download a couple of aircrafts from our fleet or look at what we have to offer, without performing a single flight for the company, and this just because they faulty believe that it is require to register to access to our content while all we provide can be freely and anonymously downloaded… anytime!

Nevertheless I wish to take this opportunity to say an enormous THANK YOU to all the member of the brilliant Misty Moorings team that brings us a real flight-simmer dreamland with all its great scenery’s add-ons and other goodies.
All the technical information regularly provided on the forum is also a great service and benefit for all those really interested by the development of their own flight simulation program.

And finally, maybe you will not agree withe me... but it’s just a game after all!

"As French is my own language, please forgive my possibly erratic use of English".
Yoland - St Paul Airlines CEO - SPA348

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 12:19:44 AM »
Well said, boys. My point exactly. As they say, 'Let's get on with the show'...whoever 'they'are. Sorry if you're disappointed, Dieter, but that's just the way it is. You need to just accept that. But your opinion is heart-felt and well noted. I, for one, appreciate you voicing your views, and I'm sure others feel the same way. That's what this forum is all about, after all. So thank you, Dieter.
                            JJ
Jsapair

robw

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »
I've just seen this post (you can tell I'm not a frequent forum viewer, let alone contributor!) and thought I'd add my viewpoint.

This observation is true for most forums I believe. There is always a relatively small number of involved enthusiastic people, a few occasional posters (like me) and lots of others who just read for useful information and problem fixing. NickN at simforums has frequently said the same to the point where he is careful what technical advice he posts as he knows the number of readers who visit for information will far outweigh those who ever interact so in effect there is a large hidden audience. MM is a community so somewhat different but I believe the same general rules apply.

For my part it's simply a matter of having enough time. I know many flight sim enthusiasts are retired and can pursue the hobby to a great extent. Even though I probably have more than the average amount of free time available (I work part time) I still have trouble finding enough to keep up with all the scenery, aircraft, installs, configuration etc. etc. and find time to actually fly and enjoy it all as well! At the moment I'm busy updating the RTMM object libraries and scenery after a longish spell flying elsewhere.

I also had an experience around 2 years ago where I participated in an Italian flight sim forum which tried to build a community by requiring people to contribute in order to download scenery. At the time they hosted all of Frank Dainese's wonderful mountain scenery so it was well worth the effort (even though Google helped with translation interaction was tedious). It was also friendly, like here, and I enjoyed my time there but I found that in the long term I simply couldn't sustain it. Once I stopped posting for an extended period my status was downgraded so the rules of the forum were enforced.

What I'm trying to say is that there are probably plenty like me who do enjoy and appreciate the work done here but just don't have much time left to interact. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't offer thanks so here's mine (and a donation to keep the site going).

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 03:52:58 AM »
Don't forget to post links to Robert's RTMM videos as well; they're great advertising!

Thanks so much Steve.  :)

Dieter a very well wrtten post with lots of thought behind it and for myself much appreciated.

After reading thruogh the replies so far I find myself agreeing to all of them!

It´s very true the work done to produce the amount of Freeware Scenery comes from very talanted people as yourself and who love the hobby.
I think back to when Rod Jackson started the process of converting scenery objects to work in FSX, FSXDX10 and P3D (we´re talking multi thousands of objects ) and the testing of all the scenery to make sure that everything works as advertised once launched. Then package it all up for a easy to install with few steps as possible all for the user to enjoy...as said many talanted people on the team.
Seems after the launch of  RTMM with FSX FSXDX10 and P3D scenery´s the Team really got creative and with new ideas storylines for new projects and they just keep coming...gotta love it!

The Enhancements of AI shipping / Traffic / Sounds / Sim Objects and the talanted painters who create their masterpieces on aircrafts. I do not understand how it´s all done  but I do know all this creates a low and slow vitural flying experience that always puts a smile on my face and I know many others.

I agree the site seems a bit slow at times with forum activity except when people having problems and for the most part the problems get solved I am happy to say. 
Would be nice seeing more life in the forums but, it all takes time to do so. We all have our daily lives to tend to and flight simming is part of that at least for myself and balancing it all is a art form.
I always feel I am a step behind here at RTMM and I am on the Team and I can think I am not the only one on the Team with the feeling but it all balances out in the end somehow.

One thing is sure for those who come around to grab a scenery or for the first timer to check out what RTMM is about you are all very welcome here and of course feel free to ask questions or post a screenshot and why not a video someone will reply in a welcoming way.

Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

xxd09

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 03:11:44 PM »
Hi Dieter
Thanks for your post.
You are quite right-used and abused(neglected/taken for granted)!
Is this the fate of Developers?
Can I say however and I speak for all the "lurkers" how much we appreciate the work you guys do and it's free!
For myself as a keen simmer running FSX and Prepar3D systems -it takes me all my time to fly with all the wonderful Addons -never mind writing on forums!-and I am retired.
I do post with problems here and on the Orbyx boards and always have my problems quickly answered and solved.
Can I repeat again on behalf of all the silent members-we so admire your work so freely given.
Please keep it up-flightsimming needs you-we need you
Thanks again
xxd09