Author Topic: Anatomy of a rescue  (Read 8239 times)

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
Anatomy of a rescue
« on: April 08, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
This is E010B from the new medical rescue series from a helicopter pilots point of view.  The Helicopter is the Flysimware UH-1 painted in the old Vertical Emergency Rescue Team (VERT) colors.

Flight out:

Setting Up for Pickup

Ready for Hoist

Loading in cabin

All set for return

Approaching Ketchikan

Getting ready to unload

Unloaded

Ready to lift off

Back at Ketchikan

Hopefully this will give a taste for what we are working on to enhance RTMM

Thanks for looking

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Anatomy of a rescue
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 03:22:31 PM »
Good pics!

Thanks, Steve!

Rod

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:16:20 PM »
Great things are coming forsure. Love the shots and I am starting to enjoy flying helicopter myself. By the looks of these rescue shots you are very good at flying them...any tips ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 02:18:05 PM by FSRobert »
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 10:31:58 PM »
Dittos. Great scenario. I too am not much of a rotor head. I'm running a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X stick which seems like it should do the trick. I just don't have that touch as of yet I guess. Practice probably being the key factor though, like anything else.
                                         JJ
Jsapair

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 08:52:59 AM »
Handling a helicopter at cruising speed is not much different from flying a light plane except that it is a bit touchier, the practice, practice, practice comes in at low speeds and low heights.  All I can recommend is to spend as much practice time as you can at low speeds and close to the ground.  The high speed will just take care of itself.

Now as to the tricks, I always add 2 things to my rescue helo's, a HUD and an autopilot.  It's not cheating to use either, after all you are trying to perform the actions of several crewmen by yourself.  It's one of the drawbacks of flying a multi crew aircraft in the simulator.  I use HSIHUD.ZIP for my HUD and Dirk Fassbender's autopilot for my autopilot.  If you have a stick with centering springs, you also might use HELITRIM2.ZIP to make the stick center agree with the helicopters neutral.

There are only 2 rescue helicopters that have built in winch capabilities that I know of.  The Flysimware UH-1 Huey and the Heli.ch Sa-315 Lama.  These do NOT need anything to operate the winch and add victims to the haul.  Stuff using the FSX winch MUST use an FSX mission and special "liftable" objects to work.  These two need neither.  Personally, I like the SA-315's views and the Huey's lift system. but you can't have both so I fly both a lot.

The autopilot can be used to hold the helicopter in a hover while you are off playing winch operator as well as to relieve the tedium of long flights.  That does not mean you don't need to know how to hover and fly the helicopter, it just makes it easier to do when you'd rather do something else or just look around.

Another trick is to ALWAYS land and operate the helicopter at low speeds INTO the wind.  This is where the HUD comes into play, it makes it easy to tell your direction and to keep track of the wind direction.  The wind can really screw you up in a helicopter.

Once you get good at it, you'll love the challenge. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 09:03:15 AM by sddinnh »

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »
Thanks so much for the insight tips of flying helecopters.

Low speeds and pratice...how hard can it be  :o
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
I'd be happy to help you (or anyone) set up either one of these helicopters for rescue work if you have any problems.  I'm partial to the FSHeli.ch SA-315 Lama myself and am in the process of setting it up to my liking and adding a VERT paint scheme for the Winch, Pax, and Short line transport versions.  Right now I'm having a few problems with the FDE, but I'll work those out.

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 11:19:33 PM »
FSRobert,

A few more cents to add what has been said by the other guys in case you or anyone interested need these FWIW:

1) Understanding basic helicopter flight dynamics behaviors (pitch, roll, yaw, vertical lift/thrust, etc.) and how each responds to its various control inputs (cyclic stick, collective/throttle and pedals) are critical to flying a helo properly.  Many that don't pay much attention or skip this part thinking its very similarly controlled to that of fixed wing aircraft end up in frustration or simply quit and find flying helos difficult, not enjoyable which is quite the opposite.. ;) It's true that flying a helicopter demands more concentration and manual multi-tasking skills compared with fixed wing but it can be more manageable with persistence and frequent practice..until it becomes instinctive or "second nature" not to mention the challenge and that exhilarating feeling that you can fly something which very few can (without crashing).. ;D

2) Every helicopter flight begins/ends with a hover after/before touchdown. Try to practice and master fundamental hovering maneuvers like the stationary hover (10-15 ft. AGL, zero groundspeed, fixed heading and altitude, preferably over a helipad), hover taxi (10-15 kts. forward flight, 20-25 ft. AGL at a constant heading) as well as pedal turns (starting from a stationary hover on a certain heading and try turning left/CCW and then right/CW 360 degrees while maintaining a constant altitude). In addition, you may also do pedal turns at a controlled rate in 90 degree increments, pausing momentarily after each turn, until you return to the original heading, both CW and CCW. Gently compensate with cyclic controls to arrest any drift and attempt to move back to the center of the helipad or estimated position using reference point/s before proceeding. Keep turns as tight as possible. Practice these until you are comfortable doing it and you'll be ready for advanced maneuvers as well as do cool tricks like what Steve has depicted in his Eddystone Rock medevac screenshots!  8) But even with an autopilot, you still have to transition to your desired position, heading and altitude with a stable hover before engaging it to do other tasks...

3) A good flight stick with throttle/collective control capability (or at least with a twist-grip for rudder/yaw control) and set of pedals (better) are a must for properly flying a helicopter. I've heard from others claiming in using a yoke or even keyboard with mouse instead of a joystick but yet to see if they can do stable hovers and precision landings with these..  :o

4) Unless you have chosen your favorite helo and accustomed to flying it more than any other, the stock FSX Bell 206B III Jet Ranger is a good trainer to practice since it's tame, easy to hover, has basic VC navigation functionality and good outside visibility (important also for peripheral situational awareness). In P3D, it think the only helo is the Robinson R22 that's included in default (?) but if you have any helo (freeware or payware) that fits the criteria above then it will serve the purpose..

I know these are a lot to take if you want to fly a helo confidently but each can be progressively done in small steps. Hence, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE... Also remember that it is not only WHAT you practice with, but HOW you practice that's equally important... Goodluck and godspeed :)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:50:15 AM by Trex3D »

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

Trex3D

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 11:39:40 AM »
Here's a stationary hover practice video.. 8) Take note of the tips/comments...

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 03:06:51 PM »
Nice one Trex.  Good advice in that video.  Notice how far back the seat is set and the vision out the windshield.  Very important.

I'm in the process of building a Helicopter Rescue Practice area at Petersburg that will give pilots the chance to practice their rescue skill's in a confined area without traveling.  It'll include a series of areas that they can use anyway they want.  I'll try to add a couple of practice hover circles down at the airport.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:12:48 PM by sddinnh »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 04:46:02 PM »
Seems somewhat redundant as the Hovercontrol site has a complete training sylabus available to teach rotary wing flying.

http://www.hovercontrol.com/artman/publish/cat_index_2.shtml

8)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:49:00 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Trex3D

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 05:55:32 PM »
That's right Spud, for those who want to "seriously" know how to fly rotorcraft in FSX, it would be the right place to learn and train... ;-) I had the privilege to take my checkride and got my SP & CP ratings with Hovercontrol back in 2012. It was very challenging, fun and you'll learn a lot but it wasn't without hours of practice and studying training materials. They have recently developed a new, more comprehensive rotorcraft training program patterned after the real world PTS (Practical Test Standards).  8) I occasionally fly with fellow rotorheads and some HC flight instructors in their flight server when time permits.

Yep Steve, having a good outside visibility from the VC is important for more situational awareness since the helicopter in a hover or travelling at very slow speeds can practically drift to any direction if improperly controlled and maneuvered. Great idea! Looking forward to your SAR training center project in Petersburg.. to also cater to those fellow RTMM pilots who want to independently practice on their own or try out if it's something they can or want to engage in..At least, there will be more options to choose from  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:22:20 PM by Trex3D »

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »
Spud, don't get the wrong idea about the practice area I'm working on at Petersburg.  It's not intended to teach people how to fly helicopters.  I agree with you on that account, Hovercontrol is much better suited to doing that. 

This areas intent is to give a helicopter pilot a place to hone his flying skills in "rescue" type situations.  Things like dealing with tricky landings, landings on ships, hover recovery, landings on elevated platforms, and as many other weird situations that I can set up that they might encounter in the rescue missions.

It's also a place where they can satisfy themselves of a particular helicopter's suitability for flying on these missions.  As you can attest to, helicopters require constant flying to keep skills at a reasonable level and I'm hoping this will give pilots a place to do that and develop a feel for how their favorite rescue bird behaves in certain situations.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:13:52 AM by sddinnh »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 01:54:51 PM »
No worries sddinnh,
Just trying to let wouldbe rotorheads know where to get extensive training if they really want to master the techniques.
I remember my initail flight in an HTL5 as a Naval Cadet the practice field was 1 mile square and it was all I could manage staying inside the fence.  The grizzeld old Instuctor took the bird put it 20' from a huge row of trees in front and said "you have the aircraft".  I got better much faster!  Then to prove a point that helo's really could be made to do what you want.  He hover taxied along the fenceline nudging each post until he found a loose one and proceeded to pound it back in tight with the skid!!   :P
 8)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:01:13 AM by spud »
Later,

Spud

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 03:48:07 PM »
The principles of learning helicopters in FSX is no different Spud, except a crash doesn't hurt as much - LOL.  Learn the basics and then practice, practice, practice.