Author Topic: Hospitals  (Read 221925 times)

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
Hospitals
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:08:07 PM »
I was wondering about the feasibility of putting hospitals in the major metropolitan areas like Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and maybe Haines.  It would give the helo guys some place to build flights around after flying from pickups at the outlaying areas.  If we used the "stock" generic hospitals in the buildings group, they have helipads on their roofs which also make for some interesting landing opportunities.

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
Re: Hospitals
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »
That sounds like a good idea.   8)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
Steve ... I put it on the "project list" on the bottom table on the top of the FAQ page. We could give this one some thought.  We'd need a list of where they should be and exactly which objects should be used. And we have to remember they must have a hard surface ... many objects do not. If we put them into "real" places, then we should make sure we have the lat/long correct so they will be "real."  I'm good for exploring this. (I don't have IS3 now with the new P3D 2.5).  But we could start looking for locations and selecting the object that is to be used. If folks want to join in on this, have at it.  To me lit is like the windsocks and fuel triggers ... we can place them in a single download folder. "RTMM Medical Facilities" or something like that.

Doug

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »
I'm trying to see the link for us and how we tie it together in our focus as a bush flying operation. I'm not too keen on designing city scenery objects but I can agree that it's something to consider.

Brad

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »
I Agree with Brad. Not bush scenery or related.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 02:33:42 PM »
If you crashed your bush plane out in the middle of nowhere, it would be nice to have a hospital to go to if a helo picked you up.  Wouldn't do a think for "bush" flying, but "heli" flying it might be interesting. We can continue to discuss it.  I put one in a the village at Owikeeno and another at Dean River.

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 03:03:11 PM »
I'm trying to see the link for us and how we tie it together in our focus as a bush flying operation. I'm not too keen on designing city scenery objects but I can agree that it's something to consider.

Brad

I understand what you're saying Brad, but it seems to me (and I may not be very good at explaining this) that one of the main objects of Misty Moorings is simply to get people to fly into the neet scenery areas you are building in the bush.  There are lots of reasons for the fixed wing pilots to fly to the scenery areas, like transporting people or cabin inspections.  Well, for helicopter pilots, going to a remote place to make a rescue pickup is a reason to fly to someplace in the scenery.  This simply gives the helo pilots a legitimate place to return to instead of simply returning to the airport.

I didn't mean to start a controversy, and it's no big deal, I was simply looking for another venue for the helo pilots to use.  I could simply build it on my own, but I thought if the group did it, everyone could enjoy it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 03:06:25 PM by sddinnh »

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 03:22:12 PM »
If you crashed your bush plane out in the middle of nowhere, it would be nice to have a hospital to go to if a helo picked you up.  Wouldn't do a think for "bush" flying, but "heli" flying it might be interesting. We can continue to discuss it.  I put one in a the village at Owikeeno and another at Dean River.

I agree with this.  We do have mountain and sea rescue missions available here.  So hospitals make sense.  (No "cityscaping", just hospital buildings to land on.)  We have characters with broken legs and hypothermia.  They would not agree that it's "not related".   ;) 

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

Doug

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 05:39:31 PM »
No, no 'city-scaping" ... just an object here and there like a windsock.  Lets keep thinking about it, we'll see how the discussion goes.

D

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
No worries. I'm all in favor of including helicopter operations even though I don't fly one. You can ask Klaus and the other helo folk here. Just have a go at the Kildala Pass powerlines scenery I did and you'll have a fun Helo experience, I guarantee that. I added a lot of helicopter friendly scenery at CIRP when I designed that stuff so, I am a fan. Actually adding some helo friendly pads as I write this to an unannounced scenery I'm working on too. Rooftop? Check. Forest wooden structures? Check. Factory? Check.
 I just needed to see some storyline and now I have one. I like the rescue possibilities where you're stationed at a hospital, you go out there and back, pick up the injured and return to base. I think I have an idea or two that I might just be able to put together for us.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming.

Brad

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 07:20:40 PM »
Hi Steve,

Have you been looking at my project in the Seward area?   In Alaska, knowing how to get to a trauma center via helicopter is important.   I have been doing a lot of work on the background locations for the new scenery that I am working on (all object will be using the standard RTMM Library set) and one of the things that came up was not only the location of a Level IV trauma center (Providence Medical Center in Seward) with helicopter landing capability but also where the emergency helicopter landing spots were in the less populated areas.  In addition, I have placed a "standard building" hospital with roof helipad in Anchorage at the Providence Medical Center location which was just verified as a Level II trauma center so the our rotary users will be able to fly patients to Seward or to Anchorage depending on the patient needs .  All will be included in a scenery area that I hope will be ready sometime next month.

See below for a couple of preview pics of my slight modifications to Seward and Anchorage to depict the "standard" medical buildings which I have placed there to support the emergency helicopter pickup spots in the bush.  Don't want to leave helicopter pilots with nothing to do  :)

Rod 

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 08:34:07 PM »
Bravo Rod, Brad and RTMM team! Thanks for recognizing that some of us RTMM fans here fly whirlybirds or helos which have unique, flexible capabilities and able to handle tasks not usually done by or in order to complement its fixed-wing brethren. Among these would be confined space operations or VTOLs due to lack of suitable runways/airfields (which may be bush flying scenerios)  in order to perform SAR, surgical firefighting,  HEMS/medevac, cargo slingloads, to name a few.. I have flown in some non-RTMM scenery areas with landable hospital or building rooftop heliports and even at forest fire lookout towers with wooden helipads. It's a combination of fun, challenge and thrill helicopter pilots understand very well while at the same time thinking on how to execute a transitional hover upon approach and do soft landing. I recall that feeling first time I flew and landed at the Kildala Pass powerlines pad, simply indescribable  :P

With the virtual world of RTMM, anything is possible to accommodate each of our preferred bush flying needs and preference which are dependent on the interest, talent and tools the team and members have... It just a matter of balancing realism with imagination, right?  ???

sddinnh,

Thanks for bringing up your sensible suggestion in behalf of the helo flyers here who want to engage in medevac ops/HEMS. Imagine the number of virtual lives it will save for the time to come..in the RTMM world, of course  ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 09:05:05 PM by Trex3D »

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 08:26:26 AM »
OK, now I understand what the desire is. I thought it was a city scaping request being made.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Doug

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 08:40:51 AM »
Oh lordy no! :-)  I can barely get a campsite to look real, I ain't takin' on Manhattan!  Just a little object here and there. I think there is a small medical building we have that would be nice out at some of the remote airports like the little sea plane bases in Tongass. But it would be fun to try to keep them as real as possible as for locations.  We have a red cross helipad somewhere (I have it a the med center at Machmel Village in Owikeeno). That and the little building would be all we would need (and of course the ever-present windsock!).  Hospitals will be in "city" areas, but I'm wondering about having a Med Facility, helipad and pier near the water so the fixed wing folks could play doctor too? That would make for some interesting dispatches, resupplying them, etc. (Again, just thinking out loud ... which is what this thread is all about). 

It is interesting how many times my wife has walked behind me while I'm on the sim and asked, when looking at a community ... "Where's the hospital?" (I thought she was being sarcastic about my flying acumen, but she's a nurse and she wondered how people "stay safe" in such a dangerous environment).

Doug

sddinnh

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 09:29:26 AM »
1)  Just a little object here and there. I think there is a small medical building we have that would be nice out at some of the remote airports like the little sea plane bases in Tongass. But it would be fun to try to keep them as real as possible as for locations.  We have a red cross helipad somewhere (I have it a the med center at Machmel Village in Owikeeno). That and the little building would be all we would need (and of course the ever-present windsock!). 

2)  Hospitals will be in "city" areas, but I'm wondering about having a Med Facility, helipad and pier near the water so the fixed wing folks could play doctor too? That would make for some interesting dispatches, resupplying them, etc. (Again, just thinking out loud ... which is what this thread is all about). 

3)  It is interesting how many times my wife has walked behind me while I'm on the sim and asked, when looking at a community ... "Where's the hospital?" (I thought she was being sarcastic about my flying acumen, but she's a nurse and she wondered how people "stay safe" in such a dangerous environment).

Doug

1)  Right - that sounds perfect for the smaller towns / cities Doug

2)  I stuck the generic hospital #1 from the global scenery area into Juneau (in approx the right place) just to see what it would look like and it blends in pretty good.  Since it is relatively close to 18AK (just across the bay from the North Douglas Heliport) and has a hardened helipad on the roof, I didn't see a reason for a separate pad for that one, but it wouldn't hurt.  I like the idea of placing the hospitals near water (even if they are slightly out of position for reality) and adding a pier for the fixed wing folks.  Maybe the ground pad (and possibly a standby ambulance) could be incorporated with that.

3)  My wife, before she passed, was also a nurse, so maybe that's where I get it from  ;D  We, here in NH also have a large Heli-Ambulance service which handles transfer from the smaller hospitals to the larger ones as well as responding to mountain rescues and auto accidents.  Although we're not thought of as a remote area, NH and Maine have mountains, ski areas, huge tracts of forest and lots of areas where a helo is the only "quick" access to a hospital.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:32:14 AM by sddinnh »