Author Topic: Coming Soon  (Read 6236 times)

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
Coming Soon
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »
Just some teaser shot's of what I've been working on lately. Kildala Pass has three locations of interest.

Airstrip "Alpha" is the main supply point for the powerline upgrade support.

Airstrip "Bravo" is the mountaintop depot where supplies are stationed on their way to the high powerline locations.

The gorge has a line crew in place on a suspended platform where a small helicopter awaits to take them back to the "Bravo" depot.

Nadina Mountain is a park ranger location where hikers are flown to and from while hiking the vast wilderness.

Unuk River hunting area is a gravel bank where hunters are dropped off and picked up. Glacier boulders dot the landscape here so care must be taken when operating at this location.

Coming Soon!!! Just a few more boulders to add, trees to place, etc. Hope you like it.

Brad

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:11:14 AM »
And if anyone's seen a certain National Geographic type film on the subject, then you'll know how the MD500 is suited for the job.

This looks like great fun - Deadlines = Dead Lines and is only one short squiggle (s) away from Deadliness. This is one for collision detection = on
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

BeaverDriver

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:16:31 AM »
Hey Brad,
This is great stuff! Looking forward to this very much.

I'm wondering if I can make one comment on it, and I mention it in a forum setting only because I see most developers doing this. Please refer to picture 4, taken from the end of the runway and the cabin in the left foreground. I'm noting two trees that are immediately alongside the runway - one on the left (about a third of the way down the runway) and the other on the right, somewhat closer to the near end. It's true these runways are "carved" out of the bush, but having trees immediately against the side of the runway like that would at some point cause an aircraft crash. Cars have no trouble with trees right alongside the road, but aircraft with wings that stick out, do. As such even the most remote of runways in the bush need the trees cleared back a bit from each side of the dirt strip itself. The remainder of the runway (that I can see) is fine and the trees are far enough back, so that might be a good guideline to work from However, the trees I'm referring to as being a problem would effectively be the end of the runway even though the runway itself continues on for several more feet.

Hopefully it's clear what I'm saying and especially that I'm not being critical of your scenery. As I say, this is an issue that most developers overlook, (as are pilings that stick up on a seaplane dock which are very effective at "removing" elevators from seaplanes  ;) ), so I thought I would mention it here.

One other question here - how do you get the "dirt" runway to appear so well integrated with the land? I'd love to put in runways like this, that go with the land rather than the typical flatten and gravel/dirt runway that you get when using ADE9X, but have no clue as to how to do that. Would you be willing to share that little secret  :) ?

Thanks Brad. Looks super!
Glenn (a.k.a. BeaverDriver, 'cause that's what I flew IRL :) )

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
Glenn,

Thanks for the comments. However, I have landed here several times and a "Kingair" has plenty of clearance on either side of the wings here. You will have trouble getting a B350 out of here though so I don't recommend that type of aircraft here. No problems at all for small bush aircraft like the Cub, 180, 185, Beaver or 206. It's the "illusion" here that really challenges the pilot on approach. You will need to be very careful because the trees are right up alongside the edges but it's a make able landing for bush operators.  Just don't bring any DC-3's here.

My whole idea was to make the pilot feel challenged here and I think I've achieved that result.

As for the ground textures, Kim Gowney made this airstrip for us at RTMM so I have no input on how that process gets done. It's looking good though isn't it?

Brad
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:41:54 AM by Bradallen43 »

Dusty_Sourdough

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 01:30:04 PM »
Brad,
Have not the words to say cept I am lookin forward to
this...ALOT!
Dusty,

Yer cabin buzzin - skeeter swattin - moose chompin - wolverine wrastlin - airframe stressin - no fly fishin - tundra jumpin scoundrel of the Land O' the Midnite Sun

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
Excellent Brad!!
My littlebird is ready for the job! Really Great! 8)

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 12:02:50 AM »
Brad,
although I understand your philosophy about making a 'challenging' landing area, and you have succeeded very well with Nadina Mt. the trees, as Glenn has noted, are just too close to the edge of the runway to be anywhere near real world.  As a helo landing area then it could be used but in a mountain environment with shifting, variable winds a constant problem the airplane is going to catch a wing quite often.

This strip will cost my customers triple fees to fly them in due to the risks involved.

8)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:04:42 AM by spud »
Later,

Spud

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 07:30:26 AM »
I made the scenery with a variable. You can eliminate the trees that are right next to the airstrip.

This is in the readme file:

TREE REMOVAL SERVICE: If you feel that the trees here are just too close for your comfort level, "Ranger Wimpy" can chop down the trees that are real close to the edge of the airstrip for you.
By removing this file: nadina_mountain_airstrip_vegetation_include_01.bgl
from your ...Addon Scenery\Nadina Mountain\scenery folder, there will still be a lot of trees but they'll be further away from the edges of the airstrip.

Try this out and report back if that's more to your liking.

Brad

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »
Bet Chris could run the Herc thru there a couple of times and take those trees out for 'em.  I like what you did on that scenery, Brad. Good idea to give people a choice. I let that in the "storyline" so people could see it and make the change.

Doug

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:22:23 AM »
Is that pad landable or is the MD500 there just "scenery"?
All the best,

Leorstef

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
Or maybe something like this AStar catenary landing platform in BC?

Wondered if it would be 'do-able' scenery in FSX.

(EDIT: Or a bridge railing used as a 'landing pad'  ;D )

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:13:09 AM by Leorstef »

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
Just flew into Nadina with Winter settings.  WOW!   I left the trees close to the strip.  Took off and circled back to land and couldn't find the strip!   Finally I got my bearings on what to line up on to find it and came in low and slow, tree top height actually.  Not the best alignment coming in and the trees were CLOSE!  Had to apply power and pull out of there in a hurry before tearing off a wing.  Fun to have a scenery with a little pucker power.   ;)     Made it safely the second attempt.   Nice job guys.    ;D
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 12:35:37 PM »
I'm adding a helicopter pad to the scenery with the powerlines that will be landable!! One is going to be static, (the one you're seeing in the pictures) and the other open for crazy whirlybird operators willing to give it a go!

Brad

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 12:58:05 PM »
...warms up CH53 and Erickson...
All the best,

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 03:58:02 PM »
I'm adding a helicopter pad to the scenery with the powerlines that will be landable!! One is going to be static, (the one you're seeing in the pictures) and the other open for crazy whirlybird operators willing to give it a go!

Brad

Great!!!
Just asked my littlebird if it wants to give it a try........ what should I say! I had to close the hangar doors immediately. My littlebird tried to start the turbine on it´s own (bad littlebird! bad littelbird!). I had to promise, the Heli-pad is soon avaible to calm it down!!! ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:24:24 PM by corbu1 »

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals