Author Topic: System Restore  (Read 10694 times)

GrayRider

• I'm an old retired Vet from the USAF.
System Restore
« on: January 20, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
Late last night I had to do a system restore of my PC. I restored my system to an earlier restore point dated a couple days ago.

The restore appears to have gone well, except. I now have a few issues with my FSX and the ORBX installs I had.

Everything in my FSX is there except for my fsx.exe file, which starts my FSX sim. The short cut that was on my desk top has disappeared as well.
I'm not finding the fsx.exe anywhere in my FSX files and folders after I did the restore. So for now I have no way to start my fsx sim.

Thanks for any assistance

GrayRider
I thought I would ask here if anyone could provide me with fsx,exe file and or fsx files needed to run my fsx that went missing.

Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: System Restore
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 11:02:30 AM »
FSX.exe is in the main FSX folder. You can put a shortcut to it on your desktop after you've located it.
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

GrayRider

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »
I'm aware of that.

What I'm looking for is the fsx small blue icon, with the white airplane in it. The icon was on my desktop. It's not showing up in my main FSX folder, so I can short cut it to my desktop. The restore I did last night, must have removed it for some reason.

The icon would/should be be in my main fsx folder isn't there any longer. I need the icon to start my fsx up so to speak.

GrayRider
Thermaltake Armor Full Tower, ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3, Intel i7 2600K SandyBridge 3.4 GHz - OC to 4.6 GHz, Corsair H70 Hydro CPU cooler, 16 Gigs of GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 - 1600, EVGA GTX570HD, 2500 MB of GDDR 5, 2.5GB, Corsair TX850 P/S, HT Omega 7.1 sound, AData S510 SATA III 120 GB SSD for boot dr

FSRobert

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Videography & Scenery Testing
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 12:58:06 PM »
I swear I smell a re install coming. If I were you I would Google the problem write something like: can not locate my fsx.exe in my FSX folder after a system restore or something like that. Something should come up of help to you with any luck.
Keep The FSFaith People

https://vimeo.com/channels/mistymooringvideography

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 01:47:16 PM »
I can't think of anything in the world that a system restore would do that would mysteriously delete your FSX.exe in the FSX root folder. Nothing. Are you sure that it wasn't moved to your desktop instead of a shortcut that pointed to it before you did the restore? Before doing a re-install which is a BIG last resort option, I'd get out my FSX CD's and look for it. Actually, look for it on your Acceleration installation CD first.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

GrayRider

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 03:04:21 PM »
Last night before I had the problems. I did buy and install the REX-Soft Clouds product. I installed the product on my F:\Drive, which is where all my other REX products are installed. They are not installed inside my FSX main folder, which is on my F:\Drive as well.

If I didn't buy and install the REX-Soft Clouds. I wouldn't be having the issues I have now. My FSX SIM was fine before I installed the REX-Soft Clouds.

The REX-Soft Clouds product install is the root cause of my current new problems. I have no idea why.

I do have the boxed version of FSX with Acceleration. I'm wondering if I can run the acceleration CD, and install it into a temp folder?. Than look for what I may need, and move it to my current FSX folder, to bring back what I need?.

If I didn't have all the ORBX products. I would start over and reinstall my FSX completely. So I'm trying to prevent having to do that. it would probably take me months to reinstall all the ORBX products I have, since my skills are limited.

GrayRider

GrayRider

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »
I can't think of anything in the world that a system restore would do that would mysteriously delete your FSX.exe in the FSX root folder. Nothing. Are you sure that it wasn't moved to your desktop instead of a shortcut that pointed to it before you did the restore? Before doing a re-install which is a BIG last resort option, I'd get out my FSX CD's and look for it. Actually, look for it on your Acceleration installation CD first.

Where my shortcut was on my desktop. When I clicked on it. The error said. The fsx.exe file can not be found or has been moved.
Now the shortcut that was there is gone. I don't think it has been deleted, based on the error I got. I even did a search for my fsx.exe and it doesn't find it. Hmmm.

GrayRider

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »
Do individual searches for FSX.exe on each of your drives one more time.

Also look at the properties of the FSX.exe shortcut and see where it points to.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

GrayRider

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 06:19:48 PM »
OK.

I'll do a search for my fsx.exe on each of my drives. The shortcut on my desk top is no longer there. I will do searches for all shortcuts I currently have, and see what come up.

GrayRider

av8erjm

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »
I had this happen a while back, never figured out the reason. What I was instructed to do was remove acceleration and then  put in the fsx  disk and run the modify or repair and then reload acceleration. WARNING before you do that cut and paste your addon scenery simcobject, gauge, effects, scenery,  texture and any other files that will be over written to a place where you can retrieve them. Then once you get fsx working again cut and paste those files you took out and put back in the fsx folder. Then you'll have the fun job of redoing all your addon scenery in the flight sim yourself.  Sounds like a lot of work but it's the only surefire way I know, Good Luck

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »
That's practically the same thing as doing a complete re-install. If all that's missing is his FSX.exe, then all he should have to do is restore it from Acceleration.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

GrayRider

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »
That's practically the same thing as doing a complete re-install. If all that's missing is his FSX.exe, then all he should have to do is restore it from Acceleration.

My FSX is intact. The only thing missing in my FSX is the fsx.exe. I have the boxed version of FSX The Gold Edition with the acceleration CD.
How do I do this restore process, using the acceleration CD??. Maybe you can provide me with some instructions?. I hope.
My FSX is on my F:\ Drive

THX

GrayRider

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »
Did you do what I suggested in post #7 above? What did you find out after doing a comprehensive search and when you examined the shortcut's properties tab?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:12:05 AM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

GrayRider

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 07:19:52 PM »
Did you do what I suggested in post #7 above? What did you find out after doing a comprehensive search and when you examined at the shortcut's properties tab?

Yes. I did several system checks.

I did find two fsx icons(the small blue box with the white plane in it) doing a volume search of my F:\Drive and my other two drives.

One of them is called Root_fsx the other one just says fsx. Both of these deal with application. The date of these was in 2006. probably when I bought FSX. One of them is in my fsx setup folder. the other one is located in my fsx AI/recycleBin folder.

I did take a screenshot of the only two I can find.

These were the only two I can find, searching all of my HD's.

GrayRider

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:20:34 PM by GrayRider »

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 09:12:19 PM »
GrayRider. I'm not sure you're reading Ualani right. Are you doing 'Start', 'Search Programs and Files' and entering fsx.exe into the search box, or are you just manually scanning your drives for the icon? Just curious.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 09:14:09 PM by jsapair »
Jsapair