Author Topic: Norandex Mining to Last Resort (Bear Island)  (Read 2031 times)

simurq

Norandex Mining to Last Resort (Bear Island)
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »
Speechless... It was definitely one of the most interesting VFR flights in the mountainous area I ever had in my C172R! With the most spectacular landing, that is... :)

Added to the excitement of toddling between the thousands-ft-high ridges for two and half hours was my quest to determine the proper landing attitude. You had to see me flying over and over the resort trying to find the landing strip, aligning with the "runway", keeping the speed just a notch above 60 knots with flaps fully extended, and my eyes spinning on the instrument panel... whoo... :) I was so excited that couldn't get some screenshots to share with you guys but it was definitely worth "every penny"...

I didn't follow the "official" RTMM trip-ticket but instead had my own scenario - being a proud member of Misty Moorings Air Taxi team, I had to take a fellow of the National Geographic Society from Norandex Mining (SAK5) to Bear Island (RT01) who was working on his study of the historical background and geological impacts of mining operations in the vast area lying around the Prince William Sound.

My endless THANKS to everyone involved in the RTMM Project!!!

See you in Alaska!
Vüqar "Rustam" Quliyev

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Re: Norandex Mining to Last Resort (Bear Island)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:36:41 PM »
If you look again at the Lodge at Bear Island ... look straight out (downriver) from the runway ... you will see some "cheater" boulders that are placed out there in line with the runway. So you fly upriver toward the lodge and watch for the boulders, line up with them and it lines you up with the runway. Those who are "regulars" to the lodge know the secrets! :-)  (I think that's only you and me!)

Doug