Author Topic: New Scenery Install  (Read 5218 times)

scanham

New Scenery Install
« on: December 22, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
I have purchased a new system and will be migrating from FS9 to FSX.

I want to make sure I have enough space.

What are the requirements for hard drive space? 

Thanks,
Steve C
Steve Canham
MFC0077
I7-4790K, Asus H87M-PLUS MB, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 240GB SSD for OS & general software, 500 GB SSD for MSFS 2020, GTX1080ti 11GB, 3 x 22inch monitors with Nvidia Surround, 5040 x 1024

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: New Scenery Install
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
Are you talking about HD space needed for an FSX install? What else is it that you want to install?
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 07:39:44 PM »
Hi Steve C,
     My current FSX directory is 322 GB.  I would consider it "fully loaded", (like a diaper).  But I recommend at least a 500 GB drive for your sim to occupy, all to itself.  An SSD drive, of course.   ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

scanham

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 07:35:37 AM »
I was talking about HD space needed to install FSX, Tongass Fjords, the ORBX scenery and most the add-on scenery you have on this website.  As I suspected, I will need a second drive.  Currently I have about 178GB available on my main SSD drive.

Thanks!
Steve Canham
Steve Canham
MFC0077
I7-4790K, Asus H87M-PLUS MB, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 240GB SSD for OS & general software, 500 GB SSD for MSFS 2020, GTX1080ti 11GB, 3 x 22inch monitors with Nvidia Surround, 5040 x 1024

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
Steve,
178GB is certainly not enough to hold ORBX/RTMM combined scenery.  I run a 1TB drive for software and a 1TB external for storade.  While there are other programs on the drive, 95% is used for FSX/FTX/RTMM scenery simming and that takes up around 250MB.  NOTE: I have only 1 ORBX payware airport, no European regions or EULC so by far this is not a 'fullfat' ORBX install at all.
Long story short get the biggest HD you can afford it will get used.
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
Fascinating. I have 2 120 gb SSD drives dedicated to my OS and FSX. (The one with the OS one is split into 2 partitions - one partition dedicated to the OS and the other partition is dedicated to FSX and related utilities, etc.) The second SSD is dedicated to ORBX files that are MKLINKed from the FSX folder, as well as a few other things.

Sounds like I have pretty much what Spud has with the addition of FTX Northern California, Central Rockies and most of the FTX North America payware airports as well. This also includes a big object and scenery library that holds lots of personal items as well as the RTMM libraries, REX+OD, and a ton of utilities. I still have 60 gb free. Admittedly, my OS has been stripped down to the bare essentials to a very lean state. I wonder how much space FTX Global Vector occupies, which Spud has and I won't until the bugs are worked out. I don't want to be a beta tester for Vector.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »
Steve, my Vector zip says it's 5.7 GB unpacked. 
Jsapair

scanham

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »
So I ordered a 512GB SSD.  Hopefully that will handle it.  Thanks guys, for all the input!
Steve Canham
MFC0077

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:15:57 PM »
Steve, have fun with your new machine. It is so nice when FSX works as it should. Matter of fact, the other morning, I told the wife we could have sex and I'd go shopping with her after, or I could fly my planes instead. She said I might need a sweater as it's cold in the computer room. Win Win!
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »
Just want to clairify some thinking that seems to be inaccurate on GLOBAL.
RANT ON
Not much of any problems with the program from the git go, just improvements to version 1.3 now.  Global is a program that simply replaces the default FSX textures with new and much better textures world wide.  On install it gives you to opportunity to save the FSX default textures in case you wish to ever remove Global.  That will never be the case if you install the program properly because the replaced textures are 1000% better than default.  Global has been fine anomaly wise but VECTOR of the other hand is a "work in progress" that with release 1.0 and 1.1 was sadly flawed but v1.15 improved the performance greatly and now at v1.2 while it still has warts and scars here and there is much more user friendly.
The biggest problem with these two pieces of software is the marketing.  ORBX alludes to the fact that these two programs will magically change default FSX into a wonderland of beauty and accurate shorelines, roadways etc. With nothing else needed to obtain the wonderous world and people are fighting with each other grabbing the software and expecting things to look like the screen shots provided by ORBX.  Not possilble says I, the software is great when used along with ORBX full fat regions and airports and will enhance the FSX experience greatly but as a stand alone purchase it ain't gonna look like the 'pretty pitchers' trying to sell it period.
I want to make it clear that the full ORBX regions and airports already include custom textures and objects and thus Global will not 'pretty up' an ORBX region but outside, in the 'real world' of FSX there is a major improvment.
My experience with both programs which I purchased upon original release and have gone through each and every update/version in order has been mixed.  Global is not really in the mix as it has always worked fine and without problems from day one.  VECTOR on the other hand was pretty rough at first and still has work needed.  Pilot's does have a forum on the ORBX site for reporting problems and are making corrections and improvement.  Unlike ORBX they are slower releasing new versions but remember the program is a world wide (global) coverage and a lot more work to update.  Example the original data source was woefully lacking (street map) and has since been replaced which is like writing a complete new code.
My Recommendation would be Global is a must for FSX with ORBX Regions and airports.  It also vastly improves the area outside of ORBX treatments greatly but it isn't ORBX quality of course.
 ORBX contracted with Pilot's for VECTOR and Pilot's is the one who update that software
VECTOR v1.2 is at the point that if you want accurate shorelines, waterways and better roadways most of the major blemishes have been fixed but room for improvments are still there.
As you probably know I keep close tabs on the ORBX forums to try and stay abreast of all things ORBX and have noticed a drastic drop in user understanding and how to even install ORBX and PILOT'S software.  The newbies seem slanted toward the ain't gonna read or search for answers, screw the manual I know better, here's my money take care of me and fix my stupid mistakes.
Global = buy it!
VECTOR = I would buy v1.2 but the choice is yours.
RANT OFF

8)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:12:10 AM by spud »
Later,

Spud

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »
Lady and Gentlemen,
as the old say goes, "A picture is worth a thousand words."  So .... I attach two screen shots of the exact same scenery in FSX.
The first one is plain vanilla FSX, SAK with VECTOR disabled, GLOBAL textures are being used but as this is in FTX/SAK full fat region they are not applicable.

The second shot is FSX, SAK, VECTOR enabled, and as before the textures are FTX/SAK full fat region.
As I said before there is just a 'wee bit o' difference'

(Click to enlarge)
Later,

Spud

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 12:24:26 PM »
Hi Spud,

You last post has confused me a bit.  ORBX has made very clear that  FTX Global products (including Vector) do not affect or change the shorelines or any other topographical features of ORBX Regions.  In fact they state that if you never leave an ORBX region then you don't need the FTX Global products (which include Vector)

Is it possible your shot is outside the ORBX SAK area? 

Rod

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 12:51:19 PM »
Hey Spud,
I  don't have Vector and see the exact same thing you show in shot #2. I'm confused too. If the shorelines changed that drastically between #1 and #2 then there'd be major problems with RTMM scenery.

Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
Shot two is Default FSX shorelines and do not include SAK scenery. Sorry bout' that. As Rod says IF you only fly in ORBX 'full fat regions' then VECTOR will not make much difference and using the GLOBAL/Hybrid mode is not necessary either because your not flying into or out of a 'region'.
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2014, 02:13:29 PM »
Don't you mean shot #1? I have SAK and it looks like shot #2. I could imagine shot #1 is default FSX, not shot #2. Still confused.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support