Author Topic: CTD's related to ntdll.dll  (Read 12103 times)

JTaylor801

CTD's related to ntdll.dll
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:16:47 AM »

I'm about ready to throw in the towel and start over with a clean Win 7 install, FSX etc.  But before I do that, I thought I would ask if anyone has experienced an error similar to what I'm getting.

Here's the background.  New PC built less than 30 days ago.  Hardware specs are as follows:  Intel i7 4790K CPU, ASRock Z97 Pro MB, 32 GB RAM, 3GB Nvidia GTX 780Ti GPU, Win7 Pro.  All hardware is stock config (no overclocking).

Over the years I've seen just about every FSX error out there.  I know about the UIAutomationCore.dll fix (and I've applied that).  I have the latest FSUIPC which resolved the g3d.dll issues.  But this one....this one has been a pain in my backside for some time.

The CTD I'm getting points to ntdll.dll located at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Now here is the interesting thing.  The CTD seems to only occur when I've left my machine idle for a period of time.  Meaning, if I'm in a multi-hour flight and once I establish cruise....if I just walk away from my machine and come back 45-90 minutes later I'll have the CTD. 

Now understand I don't routinely fly this way.  But I was flying from KDEN to KBOS in the PMDG 737, I had reached cruise and decided to do some fall cleaning in my office.  I new I had an hour + so I started my tidy up process.  After about an hour...BOOM CTD.

I don't have a screensaver set, Power management is turned off.  Virus scan is not active on my FSX drive and I can even turn virus scan off all together and it will still do it. 

I've deleted my fsx.cfg multiple times and I've made small tweaks to try to track down what is happening. 

Again, I normally don't fly in the manner I've described. Most of my flying is shorter hops and I do fly almost every day.  It appears as long as I stay with the machine and move the mouse every 10-15 minutes all is OK.  At least this has been the case with 1-2 hour flights I've made recently.  However, I'm still struggling to understand why FSX is crashing anywhere from 45 - 90 minutes of not touching the machine. 

The error log which is generated after a crash is as follows:

5:39:11 Application Error  Event ID 1000

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0002e41b
Faulting process id: 0x13b4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfe3436440bea2
Faulting application path: F:\A FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 4dcb8449-4f44-11e4-bc74-d05099280250

5:39:14 Windows Error Reporting Event ID 1001

Fault bucket 392173233, type 5
Event Name: FaultTolerantHeap
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: fsx.exe
P2: 10.0.61637.0
P3: 46FADB14
P4: ffffbaad
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\FTHFA47.tmp\fthempty.txt

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 4dccbccd-4f44-11e4-bc74-d05099280250
Report Status: 0

5:39:20  Windows Error Reporting Event ID 1001

Fault bucket 3884761380, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: fsx.exe
P2: 10.0.61637.0
P3: 46fadb14
P4: ntdll.dll
P5: 6.1.7601.18247
P6: 521ea8e7
P7: c0000005
P8: 0002e41b
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.CFG.txt
C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dxdiag.txt
C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg
C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fdr.dat
C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml
C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFAC4.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Jerry\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_fsx.exe_525c3e8fdacff77b679864762b91887b39c5e5ca_13b61b8d

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 4dcb8449-4f44-11e4-bc74-d05099280250
Report Status: 0

Does anyone have any ideas?  What I've read online is this could just be a bad Windows 7 install.  But if I can avoid the frustration of rebuilding my machine less than 30 days, I would be a happy camper. 

Thank you in advance for your time.

Jerry
Flight Sim Blogger
http://jerrygtaylor.com/fsblog/

CEO of virtual Air Logistics (vAL)
http://virtualairlogistics.org

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: CTD's related to ntdll.dll
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:45:51 PM »
Download this:

http://forum.avsim.net/files/go/4e220b78834210be0ef631a300bbf7ce/avsim-crash-to-desktop-guide-for-fsx-p3d-fs9

If you can't access this document, post back and I will send it to you.

Here's the section of the doc that deals with ntdll.dll crashes.

BTW I used to get this in FSXDX9 very frequently. After switching over to FSXDX10 I've never had it again. Coincidence? Cured it for me!

NTDLL.dll – Several possibilities as follows:
Heap metadata can become corrupted and it has been identified by Microsoft as one of the
most common causes of application failures. When an application crash shows the faulting
module as ntdll.dll along with the Memory Access Violation (0xc0000005), then Windows
places the application on a watch list and, if the application crashes at least four times or
more in an hour, the fault tolerant heap service will configure the application to use the
fault tolerant heap service in the future (Source - Chapter 10, Memory Management,
Windows Internals, Part 2: Covering Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 by Mark E.
Russinovich, David A Solomon, and Alex Ionescu). The service is part of the Security
Center service so you need to make sure this service is turned on.Copyright 2013 – AVSIM Online – All Rights Reserved
You might get an NTDLL.dll shown as the faulting module if you have MyTrafficX 5.4c
installed. It is believed to be caused by an AI scheduling programming error. A fix was
being worked on.
An NTDLL.dll crash can also occur if your system overheats or you have wrong voltages set
for your installed RAM or CPU but this is less likely as you will most likely get a BSOD
instead of a CTD.
Removing the UIAutomationcore.dll from the main FSX folder will also fix NTDLL.dll
CTD’s for many.
Check your dll.xml for duplicate entries or any corruption. Some have fixed the NTDLL.dll
CTD by removing duplicate entries and/or old software entries where the software is no
longer on your system.

Good luck! These things a a major headache and suck to diagnose.

Steve

Addendum:
Check out this forum. You'll have to register to get on Avsim's forums.

http://forum.avsim.net/forum/262-crash-to-desktop-ctd-forum/?sort_key=views&sort_by=Z-A
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:50:16 PM by ualani »
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

JTaylor801

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
Hi Steve,

Thank you.  This is the first time I've seen the reference to MyTrafficX 5.4C (which I have installed).  I see some discussions regarding a patch and some workaround steps which I'll apply tonight when I get home. 

I'll close the loop here once I have had a chance to test more.

Jerry
Flight Sim Blogger

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »
Looks like a hot rod machine, Jerry. Hope you get it figured out. If you've got Steve on the hunt I like your chances.
                             JJ
Jsapair

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 08:09:03 AM »
Jerry...I had that same error with P3D. We fixed it my dumping the contents nor the  "shaders" folder. Before I started P3D, I'd go there first and clear out the contents of that folder. I don't know if that would work with FSX or not, but that fixed it for P3D. Same dll and same WOW folder.  (By the way, P3D fixed the problem with version 3).

Doug

PS: Steve, that was one FINE response to Jerry. Informative to many of us...thank you!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:15:22 AM by Doug »

JTaylor801

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:28:01 PM »
It appears the MyTraffic X 5.4c issue was my problem.  While I've been using the program for AI traffic for several years (and it worked fine on my old machine), I had to revert back to using 2012 AI schedules versus 2013.  I'm not bothered by the difference as I really only use the AI traffic for a little amount of eye-candy here and there. 

I've been able to avoid the CTD for several hours after changing the schedule from 2013 to 2012. 

Of course, I won't call this a victory until I have more flights in the books.  But things are looking good.

Jerry
Flight Sim Blogger

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 05:36:10 PM »
Let's keep our fingers crossed Jerry and hope we found a permanent cure! Glad I could help in a small way.

Steve
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

roundrobin

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 12:02:10 AM »
Hey Jerry,

How did you fix the uiautomationcore.dll problem. My Fs crashes and restarts usually when accessing menus after flying for a while.
All kinds of fixes on the net but I would be more trusting here.

Al
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 12:53:58 AM by roundrobin »

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
Al,
Your's is an entirely different problem than Jerry was having. I suggest you start a new thread and I'll post a response there.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:24:54 AM by ualani »
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support