Author Topic: Khutzeymateen  (Read 4722 times)

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
Khutzeymateen
« on: February 19, 2011, 03:49:49 PM »
Folder is loaded, scenery is added in scenery library. Result? no flatten, no objects...

See picture

[attachment deleted by admin (size over 300k)]
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Khutzeymateen
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 06:12:59 PM »
It's not installed properly then Chris. Type in the exact path and names of the bgl files and we might be able to see where any problem might lay. The fact that plenty of others using exactly the same files do see the scenery properly indicates some trouble with your install.

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
Chris,

Go with Kim's first directions, and I've sent you a quick zip with all files that are working for me fine.

Brad

One-Eye

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 11:01:54 PM »
Insomnia has struck and here I sit at 5 a.m. all gritty eyed.

The paths as per explorer are typically (direct copy paste):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Addon Scenery\Khutzeymateen River\scenery

I'll take a look at the separate file.

[attachment deleted by admin (old)]
All the best,
Chris "One-Eye" Brisland aka EagleSkinner aka "Dances with paintbrushes"
Check out my msfs 2020 videos on YouTube (Christopher Brisland)

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 02:47:54 AM »
Looks OK, try a reboot and if you don't see Kutz, do you still see other scenery?

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »
Chris,
Khutzeymateen is one of the few scenery files in MM that has a flatten file included with it. (PF01_ADEX_KG_ALT.BGL) Have you placed this file in you FSX\Scenery\World\scenery folder as directed?
 8)
Later,

Spud

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
An ALT file is not a flatten file, the ALT file does not flatten the terrain, it merely sets the altitude of the airstrip/airport, this is important as it is by this means that any runway or taxiway textures sit at the right level, so of course the ALT file is set to the same level as the airfield, thus the textures appear at ground level.

Any flattening of the terrain happens in the CVX file which also has the landclass info.

I should also add that the absence of the ALT file will not cause any scenery to vanish, in fact I suspect in the case of the RTMM scenery it may not make any difference at all as it's true intended purpose (which I recently realised) is to make altitude changes to stock airports, but I am not going to explain why I used them, it is too involved and I am far too lazy!

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:11:06 PM by Avian »

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 01:21:23 PM »
An ALT file is not a flatten file, the ALT file does not flatten the terrain, it merely sets the altitude of the airstrip/airport, this is important as it is by this means that any runway or taxiway textures sit at the right level, so of course the ALT file is set to the same level as the airfield, thus the textures appear at ground level.

Any flattening of the terrain happens in the CVX file which also has the landclass info.

I should also add that the absence of the ALT file will not cause any scenery to vanish, in fact I suspect in the case of the RTMM scenery it may not make any difference at all as it's true intended purpose (which I recently realised) is to make altitude changes to stock airports, but I am not going to explain why I used them, it is too involved and I am far too lazy!

OOPS!  Wrong title on my part.  Setting the airport altitude just clicked as 'flatten' in my old gray head this morning.  If the ALT file doesn't work on non-default airports will they be discontinued in the future?
BTW I like the way the ALT file was outside the scenery folder where it was easily noticed rather that placed inside the scenery folder where it can be missed.
 8)
Later,

Spud

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 02:34:37 PM »
If you placed the ALT file in the scenery folder it wouldn't work, it is an entirely different beast to the other files and the method was developed by the ADE team to overcome FSX loading default ALT files before it loaded up the addon scenery folder, thus rendering any new ATL adjustments invalid, having them in the scenery/world/scenery folder means they get loaded first and thus over ride the default settings.

However, the scenery I made for the strips does not have a default alt setting (a fact I came to realise later) and thus I am pretty certain that even if you deleted your ALT files associated with any of the PF sceneries you would not notice any difference. It was necessary during the building of these strips to change the alt a few times as it is pretty much guesswork trying to get them to blend in well and a few times the guess was out, so a new alt had to be sewt, this automatically generates a new ALT file, which I duly sent out, BUT! as there was no default strip there in the first place there was nothing to "beat to the door" so to speak, the alt change in the ADEX files (.bgl & .cvx)works well enough as they are the only files for the place. On the other hand the ALT files supplied so far do no harm as such, so rather than make a song and dance I just left things as they were with the remaining sceneries to come that used them, having them deleted.

Hopefully this will make clear exactly what the ALT files are all about and the role they play (or not as the case may be!)

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
JEEZE! and here I thought I had everything all figured out!  ::)  As far as deleting the ALT files I only have 3 so far so I'll just leave well enough alone.  ;D 
Later,

Spud