Author Topic: Black Objects in New Libraries  (Read 13723 times)

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Re: Black Objects in New Libraries
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »
Sounds like the Duplicate Object Finder should be used with caution and not haphazardly:

"Although in some cases the presence of duplicate objects represents a potential issue this is not necessarily the case. We need to make it very clear that finding duplicates should not automatically result in a hunt for and removal of them from your system. There are many good reasons why objects may be duplicated and removing them could affect the scenery you have on your system in ways that you really do not expect."
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 05:15:28 PM »
As Lucy in "Peanuts" used to say:

"5 cents please".
Later,

Spud

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »
Hi Jsapair,

Not clear if you have and Addon Scenery\Scenery folder and an Addon Scenery\Addon Scenery\Scenery folder.  I do know that the latter should not exist but the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder is a valid FSX folder that should be on your system and enabled.  There are some bgl files in there that are probably supposed to be there since some developers have you put certain .bgls in that folder.  Therefore some of the .bgls in that folder are probably valid.  It should not be disabled.  There should not be any cx.... files in there so remove those.   I would also leave in there any af2 and ADEX files.   I am guessing woody's files shouldn't be in there.

Rod

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
Steve, Rod. The Duplicate Object Finder that Jeff sent me only found 2 objects out of the 70 or so that I know were duplicates in the Add On Scenery/Scenery folder. I started doing a manual search on the objects one at a time and after 25 or so they all showed Addon Scenery/FXSP3D and Addon Scenery/Scenery, so I disabled that folder-Addon Scenery/ Scenery and that recovered my missing textures at PF27. I don't know boys, I'm at your mercy. When we're talking duplicates are we just talking .bgl files or .dds files? I've got tons of duplicate .dds files, no doubt. Anyway, that's where a search found multiple .bgl files and that's why I disabled the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder. Awaiting further insight.
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
How did you disable the Addon Scenery/scenery folder?  Is it still located in your FSX installation?   I ask this because if it is disabled then the .bgl files are not being accessed and if things look correct then you can actually remove the .bgl files completely.  I would suggest that they be moved to a folder outside of FSX leaving the Addon Scenery/scenery folder in the sim but empty.  If things 'go south' you can always move the files back.  It all is OK then dump the extra files.
 8)
Later,

Spud

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2014, 04:15:12 PM »
Steve, Rod. The Duplicate Object Finder that Jeff sent me only found 2 objects out of the 70 or so that I know were duplicates in the Add On Scenery/Scenery folder. I started doing a manual search on the objects one at a time and after 25 or so they all showed Addon Scenery/FXSP3D and Addon Scenery/Scenery, so I disabled that folder-Addon Scenery/ Scenery and that recovered my missing textures at PF27. I don't know boys, I'm at your mercy. When we're talking duplicates are we just talking .bgl files or .dds files? I've got tons of duplicate .dds files, no doubt. Anyway, that's where a search found multiple .bgl files and that's why I disabled the Addon Scenery/Scenery folder. Awaiting further insight.

You should just worry about duplicate .bgl files that are already in the 5 Main RTMM Object Libraries.  Those are the only ones that I would take out of the Addon\Scenery folder.   I would then leave the Addon\Scenery folder active.  And address any other problems that show up on a library by library basis.

Rod

Rod

jsapair

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2014, 08:53:39 PM »
Hi, Rod, Spud. Found that folder with the Scenery Configuration Editor. Like I said, it was hiding as Addon Scenery\ Addon Scenery rather than Addon Scenery\ Scenery. I took a chance and disabled it and my textures came up. The first 25 or so I checked individually in Addon Scenery\Scenery were all duplicates of RWY12 FSXP3D. I haven't deleted anything yet, just disabled the folder. If that's a valid FSX folder that would explain why it's so far down the priority list...been there since day1. I'll take your advice, check the rest of them, delete what's duplicated in the FSXP3D folders, and re-activate the folder. Maybe move it up in priority to where all my other scenery libraries are. So far I haven't seen anything detrimental by disabling the folder but better safe than creating problems down the line if something wants to write to it. Thanks for your input guys.
Jsapair

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2014, 11:28:18 PM »
jsapair,
I think you were the victim of what I term 'cursor bounce'.  I'm plagued by it all the time, when you are trying to move or copy a file or folder to one location just about the time you release the mouse button the dang cursor 'jumps or bounces' to another nearby (usually) folder and the move/copy is made to the wrong location.  It can really mess ya up.
For what its worth the FSX\Addon Scenery folder has two sub folders 'scenery and texture' normally these are empty sub-folders.  Usually addon scenery folders are placed into the Addon Scenery folder.  This would make it look like (example):
Addon Scenery
    My Scenery 1
    My Scenery 2
   My Scenery 3
   scenery
   texture
I hope that makes sense.

8)
Later,

Spud

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2014, 01:35:32 PM »
Hi, Rod, Spud. Found that folder with the Scenery Configuration Editor. Like I said, it was hiding as Addon Scenery\ Addon Scenery rather than Addon Scenery\ Scenery. I took a chance and disabled it and my textures came up. The first 25 or so I checked individually in Addon Scenery\Scenery were all duplicates of RWY12 FSXP3D. I haven't deleted anything yet, just disabled the folder. If that's a valid FSX folder that would explain why it's so far down the priority list...been there since day1. I'll take your advice, check the rest of them, delete what's duplicated in the FSXP3D folders, and re-activate the folder. Maybe move it up in priority to where all my other scenery libraries are. So far I haven't seen anything detrimental by disabling the folder but better safe than creating problems down the line if something wants to write to it. Thanks for your input guys.

Hi Jsapair,

Unfortunately, I still can't quite get the picture of your situation.  Were the duplicates in a folder with the path .....FSX\Addon Scenery\Scenery or were they in a folder with the path  ......FSX\Addon Scenery\Addon Scenery\Scenery?

If you answer the latter, do you then also have a folder with the path FSX\Addon Scenery\Scenery and if so, what is in that folder? 

Rod

jsapair

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Rod, the path is Addon Scenery\ Scenery and in it are the duplicate .bgl files. The Scenery Configuration Editor showed it as Addon Scenery\ Addon Scenery but that's not the correct path. I shouldn't have even mentioned it as it just confuses the issue, obviously. Sorry. I do have an Addon Scenery\Addon Scenery folder but it's not related to RTMM, it's a 3rd party airport. I'll attach a snip of the tree, it's right below SAK Skagway RTMM, and two snips of the contents. Probably should've done this in the very beginning.
   Spud, I hear ya. I'm notorious for inadvertently right-clicking with my fumble fingers at just the wrong time, like while dragging a folder, and it's uh-oh...where'd that go? Then a year or two later you say, Oh, there's that folder, how'd that get in here? Yep.
Jsapair

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 11:29:58 PM »
Hi Jsapair,

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  Here is what I would recommend so you can put this to bed.   I assume the .jpg pictures are the contents of your Addon Scenery\Scenery folder.   I would make a copy of the Scenery folder and store it somewhere outside of FSX in case you need to go back to it.  Then, I would delete everything from that folder except:

SA01_ADEX_DWT.bgl
SA02_ADEX_DWT.bgl
 MMC8_ADEX_DWT.bgl
MMCX_ADEX.DWT.bgl

Then re-enable the folder and that will get you 98% correct.  One or two of the other files may need to bet there but you can cross that bridge if you come to it.   I know for a fact that the 4 files above need to be there.  They are Dex's folders to handle specialized AI ship traffic.   SA01 is for the cruise ship at Skagway and SA02 is for the Cargo Ship at the dock in Anchorage.  They are put in the Scenery folder by the AI Shipping Package.

Rod
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:32:55 PM by stiletto2 »