Author Topic: Missing Wakes  (Read 8154 times)

GrahamP

Missing Wakes
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:57:10 AM »
I see the wakes OK on the cruise ships, Hama's Mega Yacht, the container ship and the tankers.

I wasn't seeing any wake on the Coastguard Cutter, though.  In the SimObjects\Boats\veh_CoastGuard_sm folder, the sim.cfg file reads:
wake = fx_wake_smit_rotterdam
water= fx_spray_smit_rotterdam

I don't have either of those two effects files in my FSX\Effects folder and they're not in the Misty Maritime download, so I changed the sim.cfg file to:
wake = fx_wake_coastguard
water= fx_spray_coastguard

Now I see the wake on the Coastguard  Cutter.

But I never see any wake on any of the fishing boats at Herring Bay Cannery.  I've watched them come in, turn around and go out again but no wakes.  I don't know which SimObject they are but looking through the SimObjects\Boats sub-folders, it looks like the fishing boats and small boats use either fx_wake_ss.fx or fx_wake_s.fx, both of which are in my FSX\Effects folder.

My special effects slider is at maximum.

Any ideas on why I'm not seeing the fishing boat wakes?
Graham

Dexthom

Re: Missing Wakes
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:58:29 AM »
The original zip file called the wrong effect file and you did make the proper correction.  I use the Coast Guard wake now.  The fishing boats are the Veh_water_smallboat3_sm and are using the Coast Guard wake also.

GrahamP

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:38:15 PM »
Thanks for answering Dex.  For some reason what I'm seeing is different to what you're seeing.

I've just downloaded Misty Maritime zip file again from the Enhancement page and the sim.cfg file in the veh_CoastGuard_sm folder is still calling for "fx_wake_smit_rotterdam" and "fx_spray_smit_rotterdam".

Also, the sim.cfg file in my Veh_water_smallboat3_sm folder is calling for "fx_wake_ss" (not the Coast Guard wake).  The Veh_water_smallboat3_sm folder is not part of the Misty Maritime download, so am I right in thinking that is FSX default?

I have now changed the sim.cfg file in the veh_water_smallboat3_sm folder from "fx_wake_ss" to "fx_wake_coastguard".  I now see one fishing boat off Herring Bay Cannery with a wake that looks way too large for the boat and the other fishing boats there still don't have any wake.

This doesn't seem to be working right.
Graham

Dexthom

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »
The fishing boat "VEH_water_fishingboatlg03_sm" wakes are called in the sim.cfg [Effects] folder and
you know that already.  I have changed the default wake=fx_wake_ss to the Coast Guard wake.  You
can look in the FSX\Effects folder and find another wake such as fx_wake_l.fx etc.  When you find one
that you like, let me know and I will get it into the zip.

GrahamP

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 04:12:45 PM »
Apologies if I'm being dense here but:

I don't have a "VEH_water_fishingboatlg03_sm" folder in the SimObjects\Boats folder, so that can't be the fishing boats I'm seeing at Herring Bay Cannery.  How do I get that?

I've also just checked the download page again and I don't see that folder in either of the Misty Maritime download files.

I do have the "Veh_water_smallboat3_sm" folder that you referred to in your earlier post but I don't see anything in the Misty Maritime download files that changes the wake from "fx_wake_ss" to Coast Guard for that folder.

I'm not seeing any wakes to choose from for all except one of the fishing boats at Herring Bay Cannery.

I'll experiment some more.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 04:14:40 PM by GrahamP »
Graham

Bradallen43

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »
 :o Yeah, I'm a little confused too. I think Dex will issue an update though so we all see wake's that we are missing.

Brad

GrahamP

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
I'm relieved it's not just me.

[Edit: I see four different types of fishing boat off Herring Bay Cannery, seven in total.   I've been experimenting but I can't make sense of what's happening when I do.  I clearly don't know enough about this to understand what's happening.]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:52:16 PM by GrahamP »
Graham

Dexthom

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:11:06 AM »
The fishing boat "VEH_water_fishingboat03_sm" wakes are called in the sim.cfg [Effects] folder and
you know that already.  I have changed the default wake=fx_wake_ss to the Coast Guard wake.  You
can look in the FSX\Effects folder and find another wake such as fx_wake_l.fx etc.  When you find one
that you like, let me know and I will get it into the zip.
Well, FAT fingers will get one into trouble.  "VEH_water_smallboat3_sm" is the correct name for
those vessels.  Sorry for the typo.  Here's a link to a wake that you may like (sorta like trying on shoes)
http://Eagleslook.com/papa/fx_wake_ijt1.zip Give it a go.  Unzip that file to your Effects folder and edit the sim config for "VEH_water_smallboat3_sm"
to call that effect file.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:26:33 AM by Dexthom »

Dexthom

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 02:46:34 PM »
FYI, There are several static fishing boats at Herring Bay, they should have smoke from their stacks.  If you see one of those moving, knock off the brew.  :-X

Avian

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
 ;D Cracked me up!!

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 05:28:44 PM »
I see the wakes OK on the cruise ships, Hama's Mega Yacht, the container ship and the tankers.

I wasn't seeing any wake on the Coastguard Cutter, though.  In the SimObjects\Boats\veh_CoastGuard_sm folder, the sim.cfg file reads:
wake = fx_wake_smit_rotterdam
water= fx_spray_smit_rotterdam

I don't have either of those two effects files in my FSX\Effects folder and they're not in the Misty Maritime download, so I changed the sim.cfg file to:
wake = fx_wake_coastguard
water= fx_spray_coastguard

Now I see the wake on the Coastguard  Cutter.

But I never see any wake on any of the fishing boats at Herring Bay Cannery.  I've watched them come in, turn around and go out again but no wakes.  I don't know which SimObject they are but looking through the SimObjects\Boats sub-folders, it looks like the fishing boats and small boats use either fx_wake_ss.fx or fx_wake_s.fx, both of which are in my FSX\Effects folder.

My special effects slider is at maximum.

Any ideas on why I'm not seeing the fishing boat wakes?

Thanks for the fix on the Coastguard Cutter! Works Great!! 8)

Regards

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

GrahamP

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:59:57 PM »
FYI, There are several static fishing boats at Herring Bay, they should have smoke from their stacks.  If you see one of those moving, knock off the brew.  :-X

LOL ;D   Thanks for that.  That explains why I wasn't seeing any wake on some of them.  I did notice some of them were a lot slower than others, LOL.

It doesn't explain why I was only see one fishing boat with a wake when I changed it to fx_wake_coastguard, though. 

Thanks as well for the file link.  Will try again with that and see what happens.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:03:16 PM by GrahamP »
Graham

GrahamP

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 07:38:44 PM »
OK, success.  Got there in the end  :)  Four of the fishing boats at Herring Bay are static, leaving three moving.  This is what I'm seeing using different wake files:

fx_wake_ss  -  Can't see any wake at all.
fx_wake_s  -  Only see the wake part of the time, sometimes on one but not the other two.
fx_wake_ijt1  -  Good wake on all three but maybe excessive for this size of boat.
fx_wake_coastguard  -  Good wake on all three now but probably excessive for this size of boat.
fx_wake_m  -  Reasonable wake on all three.

I think fx_wake_m seems to be the most suitable but that's just my opinion.  Anyway, thanks for your help, Dex.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:41:27 PM by GrahamP »
Graham

Dexthom

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 09:01:41 AM »
Glad that you could get it so something that you could live with.  We aim to give you your moneys worth.
  ;)

Dragnhorn

• "Ahhhhh..the smell of black powder in the morning"
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
I changed my VEH_water_smallboat3_sm to call the fx_wake_m as well and like it.  Not only that but this discussion taught me how to change the various effects!  Thanks!!
Rob Abernathy
aka Dragnhorn

PC specs: 
Intel Quad Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon (Haswell), 4.0 GHZ, /Gigabyte 87 UD4H 32 GB mother board, 16 GB DDR3 1866MHZ, Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB x 2 SLI, 2 TB 7200RPM HDD, Cpu Liquid Cooling Unit LVL 4, 750W Thermaltake, Windows 7 64 bit