Author Topic: I don't see water in PlanG  (Read 4656 times)

DocBird

I don't see water in PlanG
« on: July 15, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »
Dear All,

I have switched over to PlanG 3.1 and now I don't see any colored water on the map. I see the mountans and (I think) everything else but there is no water.  :-\

That makes it sometime hard to see were the coast-line is.

I trust that this is a mistake on my side and would be grateful for any hints as to what I do wrong...

Thanks and many happy landings!

Till

Dieter

Re: I don't see water in PlanG
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 12:31:34 PM »
Hello Till,

I have been using PlanG from the early beginning, reading many problems, but never heard about this one.
- Did you try different maps? Same problem?
- Did you uninstall the old version completely?
Try a new installation again.

If there is no improvement it seems to be a question for Tim Arnot.

Dieter
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

DocBird

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »
Hi Dieter,

Thanks for your quick reply!

What do you mean by: Different Maps? There is only one map, right?

Dieter

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »
Have a look at
File Tab\Options\General
Here you'll find Map Provider" - 4 maps of your choice.

Dieter
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:41:16 PM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

DocBird

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
I will try that.

Thanks, Dieter!

Many happy landings!

Till

Teecee

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:52:28 PM »
To be honest dieter, I think Doc has a point..
The maps  in Plan-G are  not too good for low and slow pilots..
I see that there is a place to go for "subscribed maps" but  I have not figured out how to use it yet.. O h for the good old Google maps.Teecee.

Dieter

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:54:59 AM »
The maps  in Plan-G are  not too good for low and slow pilots.
You are completely right, Terry.
But it's the only freeware software of this kind we have.

I often said:
PlanG is an excellent tool, no doubt about it. But it's also very clear, if PlanG is the only way to "navigate" this will make Simulator Pilots some kind of lazy and addictive. That's not the way how pilots navigate in real world.

What did we do in former times? We had old maps and charts for VFR, we flew VOR and NDB, did dead reckoning.
Then one day "FSNavigator" was created and from then on more and more home pilots lost the ability or got lazy to navigate the "old way" step-by-step.
One might argue, why should I hold on to old customs and pratices, if there is modern equipment available?
Well, ok, then let's use our GPS systems, that's more "as it really gets". But this needs a very intensive practise.

Ok, that was some strong stuff and "I have to look on my own house",  but a gain of truth might be in there.
I see that there is a place to go for "subscribed maps" but  I have not figured out how to use it yet.
Please have a look at the "readme.txt.
- MAPBOX (PROVISIONAL) SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE

Let's get back to Till's problem.
At this time I don't have any idea what might cause that problem, sorry.

Dieter
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 03:04:02 AM by Dieter »
Many greetings
Dieter

DocBird

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 07:21:24 AM »
Just to let you know:
I was unable to look into this last night and might be unable for the rest of the week. Real life (work) hit me hard so there is almost no time for simming.
I wil get back asap.
Thanks anyway.
Best regards,
Till

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
DocBird,
after I downloaded the new version to install it I did the following.  I left the Present version installed and renamed the old Plan-G folder to another name and modified the shortcut properties (Target and Start in boxes) to match the new name.  the shortcut created is named diferently (Plan-G v3.1.1) so I have two shortcuts and can call up either version until I make sure the newest version will work and suit my needs.
 8)
Later,

Spud

DocBird

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:13:44 AM »
I am embarrased to inform you about the following:

I fiddled around with this quite some time and was about to go mad!  :o
Everything else looked good in the second screen but the map was looking pale and the water was even more pale so that I could not see it. Unfortunatelly nothing helped me. The other types of maps either are not available for the PF-Area or are pale as well.

Finally I noticed the buttons for the monitor settings (on the frame of the monitor) and I started to play with them (I swear every other application looked good on that monitor) and: Voilá! I changed one setting and now it looks good! Now I can see the water and see the montains.

Stupid me!

Thanks, all!

Happy landings,

Till

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 09:10:28 PM »
Has anyone found a button or something to turn off the little red airplanes (air traffic) ... probably a switch I haven't found yet. (Plan-G)

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »
Has anyone found a button or something to turn off the little red airplanes (air traffic) ... probably a switch I haven't found yet. (Plan-G)

In the File, Options, Traffic, aircraft box uncheck "Show Moving" and "Show Parked" boxes.  ;)

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P