Author Topic: Scenery File Location Tip  (Read 12976 times)

Doug

• Misty Moorings Site Admin
    • Return to Misty Moorings
Scenery File Location Tip
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:32:57 PM »
One of the problems of adding new libraries to FSX is "moving them down" to the lower part of the list, where they must be in order to work.  Moving them takes about 1 click per second ... that's all it will do. (Click-Wait-Click-Wait) But if you use your mouse and move the cursor back and forth on the "Move Down" button while you are clicking the button and click faster, you can triple the speed of it moving down because as you move the cursor on the button, it takes the next click as quickly as you can click it. This can save you a lot of time.

Doug

PS In P3D, you can just click more quickly and it moves instantly without the hesitation you get in FSX.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: Scenery File Location Tip
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »
Sounds like a lot of clicking work Doug.
If you select a file to move, click the Move Down button once then just press the Enter key and hold it down the file will move down faster than you can keep track of it!!!
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 08:32:11 AM »
If you use Scenery Config Editor you can drag and drop to rearrange areas really quickly; you can even do it with whole groups if you want to.  Also, adding new areas to your library is a ton easier with the editor. I never use the clunky FSX library editor anymore.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/
http://fs-sceditor.sourceforge.net/
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 11:01:16 AM »
Looked at your links and it appears the utility is for manipulating the Scenery.CFG file.  I'm not sure how this would effect the FSX Scenery Library although I understand that adding, deleting or moving objects in the Library does cause FSX to re-write the .cfg and create a new database.
 8)
Later,

Spud

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 11:46:37 AM »
Hey Spud,
Scenery.cfg is the database that holds all of your scenery and relative priority information - it IS the scenery library. Locate it on your system and open it in notepad for a look-see. (programdata\microsoft\fsx)

Here's a screenshot of my one of my FSX/DX9 scenery.cfg's in the Scenery Config Editor window.
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »
Looked at your links and it appears the utility is for manipulating the Scenery.CFG file.  I'm not sure how this would effect the FSX Scenery Library although I understand that adding, deleting or moving objects in the Library does cause FSX to re-write the .cfg and create a new database.
 8)

Just to say what Steve said in a simple way.  When FSX boots, it accesses the scenery.cfg file to build the Scenery Library display.  Everything a user does in the FSX Scenery Library, is written to the scenery.cfg when you close the Scenery Library which is just a pretty display of the scenery.cfg file.

Rod

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 06:20:39 PM »
Hi guys

me to down a position scenery place BIBLIo

i select the addon in first place /1 XXXXXXXX-XXXX
i click left on down buton .

and after ......Enter  ziouuuuup  get down very kickly   :D

it's the same for up  puuuuuoiz   :D

try it ...!

Patrick
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 08:51:59 PM »
Hi guys

me to down a position scenery place BIBLIo

i select the addon in first place /1 XXXXXXXX-XXXX
i click left on down buton .

and after ......Enter  ziouuuuup  get down very kickly   :D

it's the same for up  puuuuuoiz   :D

try it ...!

Patrick

;D  ???  ;D
Ha ha, So you're saying . . .  Select the scenery line you wish to move, click on "move down" or "move up", then press and hold the "Enter" key.  The line will continue to move until released.  (Like Spud was saying too?!?) ;)

Thanks for the tip guys!  I was wrestling with moving stuff in P3Dv2's library.  This works great!!  No more "million mouse clicks" to move each line!   ;D

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 09:21:44 PM »
Scenery Config Editor...Scenery Config Editor...Scenery Config Editor...Scenery Config Editor...
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 02:16:13 PM »
Scenery Config editor?  if I need to move a bunch of files it would be handy but 99.9% of the time I'm just placing a new addon where I want it in the library order.  That means I select the entry (mouse click), select move up or down (another mouse click) then hold the Enter key to move it, (a key press).  Three actions, I do not have to load another program to do the job, just KISS for me.  If it were a major re-order then the Sceney Config. editor would be more efficient.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:18:52 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 07:23:42 PM »
I'll vouch for the Scenery Config Editor. Makes it a snap. No more clicking on that blank space, either. Just browse to the scenery folder and add it...don't forget to save your changes, though. And you don't even have to open FSX to add, delete or make priority changes. It works right off the .cfg file on your HDD.
Jsapair

Trex3D

• Playin' too much video games ain't gettin' u laid!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 12:25:35 AM »
I've used the Scenery Config Editor for quite a while now. I rarely use the clunky, limited field of view default FSX addon scenery library configurator which can only be accessed when FSX is running. Among the useful features that I like is the SCE's ability to raise/lower the priority of addon scenery as a group by checking each as well as set priority for a single addon scenery on the fly before or after it is added in the addon scenery library even if FSX is not booted. You can even color code (as markers) important addons to check if these either move or disappear when adding/deleting or configuring your other 3rd party addons. Very convenient, quick and feature-packed  ;)

Flying a helicopter - the most fun you can have with your hand between your legs and not go blind.

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
Some questions I would like to ask.  RTMM files should always be above the FTX files in the FSX Scenery Library.  As we all know the FTX files will always be moved to the top of the FSX Library whenever FTX Central is used to change areas (North America to Oceana etc.) unless you make an insertion point for the files.  It is possible to make an insertion point or some method to stop the automatic moving of these files?  Also, the LC files will move out of place within the FTX group, (should be below the FTX files) so a second insertion point must be made to prevent this movement.  FTX Central's Tools is used to do this.  So again does the Confg. editor allow a second insertion point?
Later,

Spud

Dieter

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 09:52:35 AM »
Possible answer to problem with LC files priority:
This is what Holger Sandmann says here (in German language):
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/78211-neues-problem-mit-insert-point-und-szeneriebibliothek/

wie im Global Handbuch beschrieben, werden die openLC Eintrage nicht durch den Insertion Point beeinflusst, damit Nutzer selber ihre Landklassen-Prioritaeten managen koennen, je nachdem welche Add-ons (Orbx oder nicht) installiert sind. D.h., die openLC Eintrage muessen manuell in der Szeneriebibliothek verschoben werden, ganz normal wie andere Add-ons auch.

Rough translation:
As described in the Global Guide the openLC entries are not affected by the insertion point, so that users can manage their own land class priorities, depending on which add-ons (Orbx or not) are installed, i.e., the openLC entries must be moved manually in the scenery library, just like any other add-ons, too.

Dieter

Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »
Some questions I would like to ask.  RTMM files should always be above the FTX files in the FSX Scenery Library.  As we all know the FTX files will always be moved to the top of the FSX Library whenever FTX Central is used to change areas (North America to Oceana etc.) unless you make an insertion point for the files.  It is possible to make an insertion point or some method to stop the automatic moving of these files?  Also, the LC files will move out of place within the FTX group, (should be below the FTX files) so a second insertion point must be made to prevent this movement.  FTX Central's Tools is used to do this.  So again does the Confg. editor allow a second insertion point?

Hi Spud,

The Scenery Config Editor does not effect what FTX Central does with insertion points.   The application of insertion points and rolling in and out of FTX sceneries happens via FTX scripting when FTX Central is cycled.

Here is another way of saying it.  When FTX Central is cycled or when you run the Scenery Config Editor, FSX is not running.   Each application, whether it be  FTX Central or Scenery Config Editor, accesses and modifies scenery.cfg file to make changes.   When you leave FSX, the scenery.cfg stores the data that produces the FSX Scenery Library. 

Here is a logical example of how it works:

1. The scenery.cfg file is in order of a, c, b,  e, f, d after you close FSX.
2. You run scenery config editor and remove entry c and exit.
3.  The scenery .cfg file is now in the order of a, b, e, f, d
4. you run FTX Central and cycle to North America and exit. 
5.  Now the scenery.cfg file is in the order of  a, b, d.  (FTX Central rolled out e and f and probably has d identified in its scripts as an insertion point).
6.  You run scenery config editor and can only access a, b or d (e, and f are no longer there).  You change the order of a and b and exit.
7  You start FSX and FSX builds the scenery library display from the current scenery.cfg.  So, the Scenery Library display shows the scenery entries in order of b, a, d.  You then remove entry a.   You close FSX.
8. The scenery.cfg file now shows b, d.  etc.

This is how it logically works....all can exist together without conflict.  Changes were made using three different interfaces to the scenery.cfg file.   The scenery.cfg file is what is changed regardless of which interface is doing the changing and FSX uses the scenery.cfg file to build the Scenery Library display when you start and modifies it when you make a change.

Hope this helps.

Rod