Author Topic: What airports would RTMM like to see?  (Read 21041 times)

Alex Goff

What airports would RTMM like to see?
« on: April 28, 2014, 05:54:20 PM »
Greetings all,

A brief introduction, and apologies if I have posted in the wrong sub-forum, my name is Alex Goff and I am a developer at Orbx. My most recent work you may be familiar with is Yakutat Airport.

I have a love for Alaska and bush flying that goes back to discovering Glacier Bay for FS2004. Glacier Bay is actually what inspired me to do Yakutat. It was my base for flying out to the smaller bush strips in the area and for the longer hops down to Juneau.

Currently I am working on Homer Airport and it's counterpart seaplane base at Beluga Lake. After that I'd like to do at least one or two more airports in Alaska. So that leads me to my main questions... which airports would you most like to see? My personal favorites around SAK are Seward and Hoonah but I've also bounced around the idea of packages of bush strips.

I hope to hear some great ideas and I would love to produce something that would be enjoyed by this great community!

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
Re: What airports would RTMM like to see?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »
Hello ALEX GOFF

my choice  ;)  Kennicott Glacier " 4x "  : Mc CARTHY west and east airstrip , 15Z Mc Carthy, swift Creek AK31.

i hope for my simple choice  8)

But waiting suggest  RTMM guys

Patrick
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:36:54 PM by NeptuneP2V7 »
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »
Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for stopping in here and asking for feedback from us.  I personally love the work that you do for ORBX.   I have been quite busy converting our site's old FS9 object libraries that we require our users to have to see our sceneries.  We are converting them so they will work in FSX, FSX DX10 and P3D out of the box.  Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to visit a lot of the cities. 

I am very excited about Homer since I managed our very-realistic Halibut Cove project which is just across from Homer.  I will alert the rest of the RTMM staff to your post.

I think Seward is a great choice...quite beautiful nestled next to the water and yet bordered by very high mountains on the other side.  Another possible is Cordova, smaller city area that would allow for more detail.   

Those are my thoughts for now.  Again, thanks for stopping by.

Rod.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:21:29 PM by stiletto2 »

jsapair

• Don't follow me, I'm lost.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
Rod, what do think about opening a group for a week or two for members to submit their choices and submit them all at once? I have no idea how many requests there would be but that way we could submit them to Alex in an organized manner instead of randomly. Just a thought.
Jsapair

jeff3163

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Watercraft-Panels-Paint
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
Hello Alex and welcome to RTMM,
     I think most of us are familiar with your work (and have a copy on their computers) I am/do.  Thank you for it.  I always appreciate the Orbx enhanced versions of airports, wherever they are. 
     I agree that Cordova would be a nice addition.  Or maybe some rough dirt terrain runways.  But anything would be great.  I can't decide on one certain place.  It will be interesting to hear other people's suggestions.

Win10Pro64, MSFS 1.25.9.0, P3Dv4.3.29.25520, AMD Ryzen7 1800X@3.6 GHz , 32Gb RAM, GTX 1080 Ti, 2x42" Vizio Monitors, HTC Vive VR HMD, Saitek Yoke/Pedals/trim wheel, XBox360 Controller, G27 steering wheel w/shifter+pedals. :P

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:46 AM »
Rod, what do think about opening a group for a week or two for members to submit their choices and submit them all at once? I have no idea how many requests there would be but that way we could submit them to Alex in an organized manner instead of randomly. Just a thought.

Hi jsapair,

I think everyone will post several sentences such that, as long as they stay in this thread, Alex will be able to read them as they come in and he can make notes.  Any other attempt at consolidation, risks not letting Alex see each persons opinion which I think is what he is looking for.

Of course, I will defer to Doug if he wishes to do something different.

Rod

Alex Goff

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:04:37 AM »
my choice  ;)  Kennicott Glacier " 4x "  : Mc CARTHY west and east airstrip , 15Z Mc Carthy, swift Creek AK31.

I had never explored up that way! Thanks for the suggestions, it's a very interesting looking place sitting at the bottom of a glacier like that.

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for stopping in here and asking for feedback from us.  I personally love the work that you do for ORBX.   I have been quite busy converting our site's old FS9 object libraries that we require our users to have to see our sceneries.  We are converting them so they will work in FSX, FSX DX10 and P3D out of the box.  Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to visit a lot of the cities. 

I am very excited about Homer since I managed our very-realistic Halibut Cove project which is just across from Homer.  I will alert the rest of the RTMM staff to your post.

I think Seward is a great choice...quite beautiful nestled next to the water and yet bordered by very high mountains on the other side.  Another possible is Cordova, smaller city area that would allow for more detail.   

Those are my thoughts for now.  Again, thanks for stopping by.

Rod.

I've had Seward on my mind a while, it almost beat out Homer to be my project after Yakutat. I think it would round out the Kenai Peninsula well. Cordova is an interesting one as well, it's sort of a connector  between the southeastern part of Alaska and the Kenai Peninsula. Of course that would have to include both the main airport and the smaller municipal one!

Also I'll be sure to download your Halibut Cove scenery and make sure nothing I do at Homer messes it up. I was also told that Beluga Lake in default SAK interferes with AI traffic. Is there an elevation it should be set to best work with any RTMM sceneries?

Hello Alex and welcome to RTMM,
     I think most of us are familiar with your work (and have a copy on their computers) I am/do.  Thank you for it.  I always appreciate the Orbx enhanced versions of airports, wherever they are. 
     I agree that Cordova would be a nice addition.  Or maybe some rough dirt terrain runways.  But anything would be great.  I can't decide on one certain place.  It will be interesting to hear other people's suggestions.

Thank you for the welcome! That's another vote for Cordova then, I think it would be very fun to have the whole coastal string of airports done from Juneau up through Yakutat and Cordova westward to Kenai and Homer.

No need to take the time putting anything organized together, I enjoy seeing the responses as they come. I've subscribed via email so I won't miss anything posted here.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone, I appreciate the input!

corbu1

• RTMM Team Test Pilot
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 05:56:02 AM »
Hi Alex,
thanks so much for asking RTMM community for feedback!
I love your reccently released Yakutat locations and can`t wait seeing first pics of Homer...
as already suggested, I think Seward and Cordova would be great locations to cover the coastal SAK regions.... :)

Besides these coastal locations I´d love seeing Whitehorse CYXY being released by ORBX...maybe after finishing the coastal ones`s?

P3Dv5.2HF1,ASP3D,MV WR,FirefighterX,OVRtoolkit,FreeAirMap;RXP GTN, VRK
i9 10900K;32GB3600RAM;Strix3090;SSD 970EvoPlus500GB Win10;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB P3D;SSD 970EvoPlus2TB XPlane;SSD 860Evo1TB DCS;HDD 4TB;VivePro;HOTASWarthog;Komodo Pedals

dexthom

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 06:56:24 AM »
Alex, it's not a bush strip but don't forget about Valdez.  It's a usual stop when flying up the coast.

ualani

• Misty Moorings Team
  • Legacy RTMM Library Manager
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 07:12:46 AM »
Hi Alex,
Thanks for taking the time in seeking input from fellow avid ORBX users and lovers. We are honored!

I love seat of the pants bush flying and would love to see a package of challenging bush strips. However, what ever you decide to put together will be a welcomed addition to the SAK family and greatly appreciated. Keep up with your great work!

Steve 
Legacy RTMM Library Manager
Custom Objects Design
Legacy Scenery Design
Support

Dieter

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 07:36:35 AM »
Well, different people, different opinions...

I would like to have more small airstrips scattered across the country with just a small scenery in it, not overloaded.
Maybe three of them in a package.

Dieter

Many greetings
Dieter

Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,5 GHz - MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - RAM 16GB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 SSD 1TB - 1 HD 1TB - Win10 Pro 64 bit - MSFS Premium Deluxe - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

BernieF

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 10:07:11 AM »
Hi Alex

My vote would go to Seward. I love doing a flight from Anchorage to Seaward at 1500 feet via Sunrise, Summit Lake, Moose Pass, Crown Point, Primrose and Bear Creek. Unfortunately I have to climb in the Summit Lake area but then I can descend after a short while. It is a very nice trip and would love to land at a beautiful rendition of Seward at the end of the flight.

Cheers

Bernie

dexthom

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
Well, different people, different opinions...

I would like to have more small airstrips scattered across the country with just a small scenery in it, not overloaded.
Maybe three of them in a package.

Dieter

Another excellent suggestion which I think would appeal to a lot of people.

NeptuneP2V7

• VA-AMC
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:11 AM »
There is a problem :
ASK is a great country and Beautiful
put his gear here or there is not easy in the choice. But Misty team has the last word.

My choice was the most extreme coverage ASK Kennicott Glacier  make a triangle between Juneau and Yakuta
so all  spot are a benefit  for community FS 

thank ALEX to drop one or more  ;)
[size=16]Ryzen9 5900X 4.8 GHz / ASUS PRIME X570-P / Corsair Vengeance 32 Go DDR4 3600 MHz / ASROCK - VGA CARDS Radeon RX6800XT Phantom Gaming
Noctua NH-D15 / Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 250 Go / Fox Spirit US-850G 80PLUS Gold / Fox Spirit 31.5" LED - PGM315 V2[/size]

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »
I'm sort of confused on some of the request folks are making ala Alex's question.  As an ORBX developer the usual procedure for their airports is to make an uber-detailed airport albeit the size can vary from a 'normal' airport with many taxiways, ramps, buildings, object flows, people flows etc. etc. to small rual highly detailed rural strips.  They are spactacular and well worth the asking price.

That being said I see a lot of people mentioning small, unimproved bush strips and I can't but ask why?
RTMM's whole existance is predicated on just such rual, backcountry airports already and my download folder from RTMM files has 167 bush locations you can obtain right here in the Scenery page.

Places like Seward, Valdez, and the already completed Homer etc.  somewhat larger and more developed airports would fit much better the ORBX mold for payware airports.  If the strip is too rural and unimproved I would think it would be a rather commercially weak seller as ORBX users are used to the excellent detail and wow factors the company is know for.

At this time the RTMM is very involved in the POP library conversion and that has caused a slowdown in developing more bush strips.  After the conversions are complete and Brad's computer problems are worked out I'm sure there will be enough of those small hard to find and get into fields comming from RTMM to whet the appetite of them most hard core 'bushie'.  Meanwhile how many people have fired up that bushplane and looked at more of those 100+ locations RTMM has made available?
 8)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:17:39 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud