Author Topic: RTMM Prepar3D Object Project (POP) Update  (Read 4474 times)

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
RTMM Prepar3D Object Project (POP) Update
« on: April 26, 2014, 11:01:16 PM »
Hi all,

Hopefully you have been watching this link:  http://www.return.mistymoorings.com/object_libraries/#pop to keep tabs on the RTMM team's effort to convert the freeware object libraries that we require our users to have to be compatible with FSX, FSX DX10 and P3D (all available versions).  The POP Status Report will be/has been updated to show that we are in the final stages of preparing the converted object libraries and plan to have them available by mid-May.   

With the impending release of the ORBX PFJ triple installer, all of the ORBX regions we operate in will soon be able to be loaded into P3Dv2 including Tongass Fjords FSX which can be installed in P3D (per Holger Sandmann) using the "FSX To Prepar3D Migration Tool" by NGO Flightsim Estonia.

RTMM is on target to make sure that you will be able to choose FSX, FSX DX10 or P3D (all available versions) for your RTMM flying environment and be able to see our sceneries as we intended for you to see them.

As we approach completion of the POP initiative, I too am looking forward to moving to P3D in a few months.  It's going to be a great summer!

Rod

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
Re: RTMM Prepar3D Object Project (POP) Update
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
Rod,
just read the status report (4/26/14) and noted one thing that could be a problem. 

"Utilities which have now been developed to turn off/on the unconverted counterparts of
these libraries inside the OZx_LIB folder."

If you turn off the unconverted counterparts AND the user has the OZx files installed (OZx_NA and/or OZx-AUS) it will disrupt those seceneries.  We may want to rethink that option.

FWIW, when I rebuilt FSX on the new computer I installed the OZx scenery along with the libraries in an OZx folder within FSX.  This lets FSX/RTMM use the OZx files in the OZx libraries that RTMM used in its scenery and in addition the OZx scenery works as well.  I did not duplicate the OZx library in RTMM as it will find the files from OZx it requires if they are anywhere on the HD.  If the unconverted files are deleted my OZx_NA and OZx_AUS will be wiped out.  As long as the Utility is not automatic I can manually replace the converted files into the OZx library in my OZx folder of FSX.  Just want to insure the deletion routine is not mandantory and can be opted out!
 8)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:31:28 PM by spud »
Later,

Spud

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »
Hi Spud,

Interesting question.  The integration of select converted libraries that are also in OZx was a major architectural challenge since the goal was to make sure current OZx users still get the same experience that they have always had.

If the utility you reference is run, it does not delete anything.  The utility goes into OZx_LIB and disables only the libraries that RTMM also uses (with the author's permission) by adding .off to them...it does not delete them.   The very same objects that were in the libraries that are disabled by the utility in OZx_LIB, are also contained within the "soon to be released" RTMM converted libraries.  As a result, OZx sceneries will pick up those objects that were in the disabled libraries directly from the enabled RTMM converted libraries. 

It is kind of the reverse of what we do now where RTMM sceneries pick up some of their objects from certain libraries within OZx_LIB...instead, the OZx sceneries will pick up some of their objects from the RTMM converted libraries.

If anyone is concerned about an automated utility, they can manually disable the specific OZx_LIB libraries by adding .off. 

However, deleting and replacing libraries in OZx_LIB with libraries from the RTMM converted libraries will not be possible for two reasons:

1. OZx_LIB Texture files are not compatible with FSX DX10 unless the users converts the textures to .dds files.  This requirement is not consistent with the RTMM goal of providing one set of libraries that work for our FSX, FSX DX10 and P3D users right out of the box.

2. Even more importantly, the ukvfr part of the RTMM converted libraries (same ukvfr objects are in OZx) have been re-architected to maximize all three classes of users' (FSX, FSX DX10, P3D) experience.  As a result, the ukvfr libraries don't match the names or quantity of ukvfr libraries in OZx_LIB.  They do however carry all of the same objects.  Because conversion is not 100% (some FS9 objects just will not convert because FSX no longer has the capability that FS9 had...e.g. conditional animation), we had to split the ukvfr libraries into objects that work in FSX, FSX DX10, and P3D and objects that will only work in FSX and FX DX10 (a small minority of objects but important).   This was critical to make sure our FSX users still see all of the objects in the OZx sceneries that they saw before while also making sure our developers don't place an object, from the ukvfr libraries, in a future scenery that will not display in P3D.

Rod

spud

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »
Rod,
I'll PM you with more questions for claifications.  No sense loading up the forums with semi-personal question.  PM to follow later today?
 8)
Later,

Spud

stiletto2

• Misty Moorings Team
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
Hi Spud,

Just send me an email.

Rod

spud

• Misty Moorings Team